Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Raining Rockwood. Thanks to Thatgrimguy

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
There really are some very fine and helpful folks on this forum. I would like to give a special thanks to one of them. @Thatgrimguy. Not only has he welcomed me in to his fine home and served a fine meal. He hooked me up with this. If you ever have the opportunity to meet him and his family take it. There are truley fine folks. Again thanks brother Grim.imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Sure thing buddy!  I'll split a pallet with you anytime!  It's great to make friends through something like this! Especially ones that can cook and eat like you can @SGH !!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Thank you brother. I really do appreciate it.image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Now you have done it...I'm sure @henapple has been made aware of this OO exclusion deal.  Who knows where this will lead? :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    @lousubcap‌
    If I can ever bump into brother apple I will gladly buy a truck load of OO. I like both for different things. Both are top tier lumps for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• If we can con him into making a trip down here, I'd buy a ton of OO!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Very nice...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    I'm in if he is ever down our way.

Status- Standing by.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I picked up 10 bags of it this weekend when passing through St. Louis. Now I just need to find some Ozark Oak! If anyone can bring some to Colorado...

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I just got a shipment of Rockwood from Firecraft and also got a couple bags of Ozark Oak to keep @Henapple happy....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • All this rockwood talk made me pick up a couple bags locally.
    Mundelein, IL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I would like to have more on hand, just don't have room or money. @SGH‌, is that a red Chevy Avalanche your driving? What year? I used to have a red 2004.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    @Ladeback69‌
    Yes sir. It's a Avalanche. 2008 model. It's been a great one. It has 212,000 miles on it. I will never get that lucky again!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Ladeback69‌
    It's a 2008 but I bought it in September of 2007 however that works. Doesn't make sense to me. Nonetheless it's been a great one.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's like buying Sam Adams Octoberfest beer in August. Lowe's having Christmas decorations for sale.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Yumm Octoberfest... Yep time to go to the fridge
    Greensboro, NC
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    EggPlant said:
    All this rockwood talk made me pick up a couple bags locally.

What is the Rockwood selling for in St Louis? My son will be there this weekend and I plan on having him stop at Eureka to pick up several bags.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Hawg Fan said:
    EggPlant said:

What is the Rockwood selling for in St Louis? My son will be there this weekend and I plan on having him stop at Eureka to pick up several bags.

Sorry but I'm in the Chicago burbs. I paid close to $15/bag.
    Mundelein, IL
  • SGH
    It's worth every cent my friends. Trust me on this.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    I haven't used the Ozark as of yet. I think the Rockwood is great. What did you like differently about the Ozark?
  • SGH
    @anzyegg‌
    When cooking a massive primal or subprimal the extra "oak" taste that the OO imparts is a huge plus on the ceramic cookers. It's a wonderful and welcome taste. The RW imparts a near neutral taste which is great when you want total control over the smoke profile. For small cuts the RW is perfect. For the big primals and subprimals OO is perfect. That's why I like having both on hand.

Status- Standing by.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Hawg Fan said:
    EggPlant said:

It was $18 for a 20 pound bag at the Branneky True Value store.  It is right off of I-70.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SGH
    @anzyegg‌
    When I did my hot and fast brisket test I brought the unit up to temp with RW so I could impart only oak that I feed the unit in the beginning. Then toward the end I converted to just cherry wood. The RW is perfect for this type cook when you are shooting for a particular end smoke profile. Had I wanted a all oak profile I would have used the OO instead.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Thanks man, now I see what you mean.
  • I am gonna try to find some of these better lump charcoals. I've only used BGE and some Cowboy something lump when they were out of BGE.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • SGH
    @Dillonjm‌
    Brother you will not be disappointed in RW or OO. They are top tier products without question or doubt.

Status- Standing by.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I pay $20+ tax for a 20 lb bag and it is worth it. I can get it when ever I need it, so I only keep a couple bags on hand at a time. It would take me a while to go through half a pallet.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • @SGH Cool, thanks for the tip. I've been slightly disappointed in the last two bags of BGE I've picked up. The lumps were small medium to small in the bag and messed with my air flow a few times. I want bigger chunks!
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • SGH
    @Dillonjm‌
    Once you try OO and RW you will really be disappointed in other lumps. They are head and shoulders above the ones you mentioned. They honestly are. After 2 and 1/2 years of using whatever lump was available, once I tried them they are all that I buy. Period. I owe @Biggreenpharmacist‌ and @Thatgrimguy‌ a special thanks for turning me onto these fine products.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Brother Grim I just wanted to say thanks again for the RW hook up. Also I have that Teres Minor on the way. Will let you know as soon as I lay my hands on it.imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Thing of beauty!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!