Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to get the ashes out of the firebox?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I have some lump left after a cook, I've just been "stirring" the lump to sift the ashes out the bottom. Must be an easier, less time consuming way to do that, but how?[p]Does anyone use a shop vac to remove the ashes from the bottom of the egg? Scraping them out doesn't always seem like a good idea when the wind is howling. [p]Thanks. I'm slowly learning. BTW, the brisket I did last week was terrif!

Comments

• MidMag7,
    I also use a shop vac-could not be easier. I always wait until the next day when I know the coals are cool. I find the ash tool pretty worthless.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Bunky Rub,
    Be careful, even the next day I have found some glowing embers in the ash pile. The air movement with the vacuum can get them reignited. The daisy wheel leaks enough air that you can still have live coals the next day, so it is a better idea to put the ceramic rain cap on top when you are done cooking. -RP

• Bunky Rub,[p]Thanks. We haven't used the egg since before Christmas. Was going to do it today, but the cook used the ash tool before I could pull out the vac. In a few days, I'll remove all the lump, and give the whole thing a good vacuuming!
  • I use a shopvac to get the ash out. The only issue I have with it is that it also picks up the small pieces of lump that fell through the grate and never burned out. This has a tendency to clog up the line and you lose suction quickly (I guess I need a Dyson). I rarely take the fire grate off and clean that. I just stir with an old rusted bbq fork that I've kept for that purpose.
  • I use a shopvac to get the ash out. The only issue I have with it is that it also picks up the small pieces of lump that fell through the grate and never burned out. This has a tendency to clog up the line and you lose suction quickly (I guess I need a Dyson). I rarely take the fire grate off and clean that. I just stir with an old rusted bbq fork that I've kept for that purpose.