Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

North Dallas BBQ joints

Options
Alright gang, I'm in Dallas for three days. Lunch today will be BBQ. I need the best joints in Dallas (preferably the north side). Thanks!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• apfroggy0408
    Options
    Although I got nothing for you for BBQ in Dallas I will say that you should make a pit stop at Whataburger for some amazing fast food burgers. I miss Whataburger up here in the Midwest...

green chile double is a winner for me from there.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Depends on where you mean by North Dallas, but the two I would go to are Lockhart BBQ (which is really in Plano) or TEN50 BBQ (which is in Richardson). I haven't been to TEN50 yet. It just opened, but I want to try it. Both are located on 75 near the George Bush Tollway.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SaltySam
    Options
    Ten50 sounds like a winner. I'll be there around 11:00 if you want to try it as well. Thanks for the tip, Griffin!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Griffin
    Options
    I wish I could but I'm stuck at work over in Rowlett. If I made it that far, I'd wouldn't end up going back to work as that's less than 2 miles from my house. Really interested to see what you think of it. Take some pics.

Rowlett, Texas

• SaltySam
    Options
    Will do

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SaltySam
    Options
    And apfroggy...whataburger is definitely on the list as well. I miss their burgers in the midwest. If you want, I'll take pictures there too. Ha!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• banjoman
    Options
    Hard Eight is another good suggestion.  Fantastic brisket.  We ate at the Roanoke location.  I think there are two other locations around Dallas also.
  • Griffin
    Options
    If you rae looking for a good burger, hit up Maple and Motor (as seen on Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives). Worth the drive.

Rowlett, Texas

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    If you feel froggy head out to Country Tavern near Kilgore...a few hours, but the ribs are AMAZING.
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    I used to live up in Plano.  How about Spring Creek BBQ on 75 just north of belt line (OK), or Sonny Bryans (good) on Campbell just east of Coit.  I prefer Sonny Bryans to spring creek.  Of course, for BBQ there is always bone daddy's - spring valley and 75 :)

Best burgers in north dallas is JC's burger house.  2 locations - Allen and Plano.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • mmundy81
    Options
    Pecan Lodge.  It's in Dallas.  I ate there in January and it was amazing.  Among the best brisket I have ever had anywhere.  We showed up before 11 (back when it was still located in the farmer's market) and there was a line wrapped around the farmer's market.  They are in a new location now, so hopefully some of that problem has been alleviated.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Not bbq but Taco Cabana is good. Try Pappasitos.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ceramic_cooker
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Alright gang, I'm in Dallas for three days. Lunch today will be BBQ. I need the best joints in Dallas (preferably the north side). Thanks!
    See the attached link. Some are in North Dallas. Also ten50 is suppose to be very good and too new for the list. It was started by the founder of Chili's.

• Wayne_Edson
    Options
    Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano is best N Dallas, Pecan Lodge in Deep Elum is best overall, if you have several diners you can jump the line and order 5 lbs at express lane, will be eating in less than 10 minutes. Have heard good things about the new TEN50 but have not eaten there personally. Hard Eight in Coppel near 635 and Bass Pro is good choice also.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano is hit and miss...been there when it was great, and when it was not.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• apfroggy0408
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    And apfroggy...whataburger is definitely on the list as well. I miss their burgers in the midwest. If you want, I'll take pictures there too. Ha!
    yep! born and raised in el paso texas whataburger by far my favorite fast food burger!! best place to go late nights after the bars!

if you haven't had the honey bbq chickens trip sandwhich i'd give that a shot too.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Just went to ten50 a few days ago...homerun!! Brisket is awesome, ribs are equally good as well. Spicy sausage great and chicken filled ABT good as well. Not as pricey as Lockharts.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    My house. I live in North Dallas and make all of my BBQ on a big green egg. My ribs pull off the bone clean. My chicken is sublime.
  • SaltySam
    Options
    I ended up going to TEN50, and it was fantastic.  I got there at 10:40, and they opened the doors promptly at 10:50, staying true to their name.  I was first in line, but within minutes, droves of people appeared almost out of nowhere.  As soon as you walk in, you make your way into one of two serving lines.  They had brisket by the 1/2lb (about $9.50, I think), chicken, sausage, ribs, etc.  I ordered a half pound of the brisket, and was asked if I wanted lean or moist, so I opted for moist.  He carved up about 7-8 slices, and put it directly on the lined tray.  I went inside, picked up some potato salad, some BBQ sauces (Carolina style, and the house sauce) and a bottle of coke.  Lunch was about $15.00, and I probably could have eaten about $20.00 more worth of food.  The brisket was definitely moist, as it still had a layer of fat across the top.  It was tender, and delicious.  Better than anything I'm able to get in Nebraska.  I wish I would have ordered a half pound of the lean as well, just to compare.  Maybe next time.  

@Griffin, wish I could have met up with you.  @MJH, same deal.  Your invite/recommendation came a few hours too late.  Again...maybe next time.  If any of you plan to be in Salado in March, I'll be there.  

The only complaint I have about Texas is the allergies.  My eyes and sinuses blew up last night.  Not only was I miserable, but I couldn't even taste my Whataburger.  A travesty.  I'll have to get another one tonight. 

Thanks for the Texas hospitality, y'all.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I live about a hour from most of those places I need to go check them out.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Thanks for the review on Ten50...some guys from work and I are heading up next week to check it out. As of now my go to for really good BBQ is Lockhart...has the best meat to wait time ratio though Pecan Lodge is better overall.
  • Griffin
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thanks for the review. Sorry we couldn't hook up. A little more warning next time, hmm?

Texas allergies can be pretty killer depending on the season. They are getting worse for me as I get older. Had to get an inhaler a few years ago for the bad days when I can't breathe. Or when we have a Red day for air pollution/ozone/whatever. :(

I'll never pass up a Whataburger. Grew up in the town it started in. Good ole Corpus Christi. Still bummed they moved the headquarters to SA.

Rowlett, Texas

• dougengel
    Options
    I'll have to second (or third) the suggestion for Hard Eight's - out near the airport. Word of caution... go hungry... go very hungry...
    Doug E. Charlotte, NC Cyclist, IPA fan, World Traveler