Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MEDIUM BGE

Options

Have a chance to pick up a MBGE still in the box, with nest, mates and platesetter for 500. Is this a good deal and what about the warranty?

Comments

• Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    This sounds like a good deal. I paid $500 for my Medium 2 years ago, no nest, just the egg. 
    I am not sure about the warranty, I think if an individual is selling it (not a dealer) then  you will have no factory warranty but I'll let others comment on that.

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    warranty is only valid if sold by an authorized dealer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Personally if you can get it for say $400 it's a deal, but if you are willing to forego the lifetime warranty at $500 I would not. Instead put another $100 with the $500 and buy new. It's not a savings when you have to pop for an un-warranted firebox - which you will, nor for a new dome or base which could happen.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Agree with @RRP ... offer them $400 ... if they pass, leave your phone # and tell them if they change they change their mind to call. I did this with a car I saw on Craigslist, the owner called me a  few weeks later.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    MBGE at a dealer in PNW is on sale now for $580 plus sales tax, regular price is $660 plus sales tax. Can't get much further from the Mothership and still be in the lower 48 so these should be among the most expensive eggs in the US. 
    I think even $400 might be a tad high for a non-warranty product, Rule of thumb to me has always been used (which really means no warranty) in pristine condition the value is no more than 50% of list. New in the box is the same as used in pristine as far as I'm concerned. Top price would be $330 in my book. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @Skiddymarker, what and where is that dealer?
    As I'm in that part of the world, I may want to contact him.
    TIA
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @jaydub58 - Sound Cedar, Mount Vernon WA. SWMBO and I were thru there last week. They are just off I5 at Anderson Road on the south side of Mt. Vernon, think it is exit 225? - Call, ask if they still have a deal on. 

Their price on a large was $100 off, List of $873, sale $763. 

EDIT - Geez, you'd think OR dealers would have an advantage - with no sales tax.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!