Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken leg Lollipops and a naked ham

Options
Had a great weekend in the water and cooking on the egg!

Made a big batch of my baked beans and a smoked ham for Sunday Funday. Forgot to take pics of the beans, but the entire 5-quart dutch oven was filled and then eaten!

Then for Labor Day, I made some Chicken Leg Lollipops. Covered in Money Championship Rub (love this stuff on chicken)

And they were AMAZING!

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    I surrender brother. You win. Awesome to say the least. Just awesome my friend. I would make a fool out of myself eating that!!! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dillonjm
    Options
    Never seen chicken lolipops before, nice! That ham looks incredible! Have you posted your baked beans recipe on the site before? I have them on my list..
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    edited September 2014
    Options
    How did you do your ham?
    NW IOWA
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    That ham is sexy
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SGH
    Options
    That ham is sinful!!!!! Awesome!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @Philly35  I smoked the ham indirect at 300 till 140. I did drizzle honey on it as it approached the end and again right when I pulled it off.

@Dillonjm  I did the beans on the same grid as the ham and let it run the same amount of time as the ham.

I do this in a 5 QT Cast iron dutch oven.

I start inside on the stove by frying as much bacon as I can fit in the bottom of the DO. 
    After it's crispy, I remove the bacon and remove from heat. Leave all the grease and throw in the peppers and onions to let them simmer for a second before dumping the beans in to cool off the DO while I finish the prep. 

Chop that bacon up and add it back to the beans along with the rest of the ingredients. Then cover with remaining raw bacon. Smoke un-covered at 250-350 indirect with heavy smoke till it's cooked down a bit. No science, they can go for a long time and not deteriorate.

• 1 Large can of Bush's, 1 can of red kidney beans (drained), 1 can of Pinto Beans (or beans of your choice)
    • Roughly 10-12 strips of bacon
    • Leftover meat, trimmings from St. Louis ribs (I always seem to have some saved up) or pulled pork, brisket, etc.
    • 3/4 of a green pepper
    • 3/4 of a yellow onion
    • 1.5 cups of brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup each ketchup, mustard, and bbq sauce of choice
    • 3 Shots Jack Daniels
    • 1 Cup Zing Zang
    • 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Bookmarked. That's on the to list. Awesome job!

Status- Standing by.

• Dillonjm
    Options
    Thanks! I will be trying that ham and baked beans very soon! I cant get over how incredible that ham looks.
    Backyard BBQ Dude

Northern VA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌ Fantastic cook all the way around. Something that was recommended to me by @DMW‌ & worked very well was to wrap the lollipop bone portion for most of the cook in foil and then remove the foil toward the end for some color. Again it looks fantastic Sir. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    Did you cook the lollipop chicken at the same time as the ham?
    Backyard BBQ Dude

Northern VA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thank you @SGH !!

Will try that @NPHuskerFL , this was my first time to ever try lollipops. I'm definitely making them more often.

@Dillonjm  No, I cooked the Ham and beans yesterday and did the chicken today at 400 raised direct till they were all about 190.
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    Awesome thanks!
    Backyard BBQ Dude

Northern VA
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    You are more than welcome brother. That was excellent.

Status- Standing by.

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    That ham should be illegal to look at.. WOW.. Nice job! I hope it tasted as good as it looked/sounded.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    My first lollipops w/out foil.

2nd time w/ foil.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    Foil..check!
    Backyard BBQ Dude

Northern VA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Zarcon said:
    That ham should be illegal to look at.. WOW.. Nice job! I hope it tasted as good as it looked/sounded.
    @Zarcon  Oh it did! My guests and I picked the bone clean!
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    I sure wish that I would have been one of those guest eaters. I feel that I could have done more than my part!! ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Lollipops are now on my to do list
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Lollipops are now on my to do list
    Definitely should!! They were delicious. I made pretty quick work out of the prep. It was easy and beneficial enough to guarantee they become a regular in the rotation. Plus they look freaking cool!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    What do people do with the ham bone after it's picked relatively clean?  I was thinking maybe red beans and rice.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome cook all around.  My MIL uses the ham bone to make a ham n bean soup that is really good.  It looks very much like this:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @That grimguy that is a awesome looking cook. But about the beans, what is Zing Zang.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    MeTed said:
    @That grimguy that is a awesome looking cook. But about the beans, what is Zing Zang.
    It's a Bloody Mary mix.  Tastes great in beans and chili, tastes even better in a glass of vodka!
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks fantastic all around!!!!!! I'll definitely try those beans.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks. 
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    Looks fantastic all around!!!!!! I'll definitely try those beans.
    Everybody who has ever eaten them has RAVED about them!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Out of bounds @thatgrimguy

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.