Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump??

Options
Jake
Jake Posts: 92
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
CarWashMike or anyone-[p]Cooked pork loin last nite and eggcelent. Then fired up ribs per J-Slots recipe. Towards the end my lump ran down. On long cooks what is typical? I mean hours and temps versus amount of lump. I'm still new and it got me last nite. Still ate great!! [p]Thanks!

Comments

• jake,
    I try to keep mine filled to the ring. If I'm doing a short cook, say 1 hr, I might just relight leftover lump but for any long cook like ribs, fill it up. Having leftovers beats having to reload and relight during your cook. -RP

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
  • Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    AZPR,
    Thanks! What happens if do have to add lump? How do you do it? Dump it in? relite? pull meat off? etc.?

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    jake,
    You got it, it would be a royal pain in the butt. Best bet is not to run out. If you expect to go more than 24 hrs, you can fill it all the way up to the platesetter, but I think with just a little experience, you will find a full fire box is enough for just about anything you are cooking. -RP

• Woody
    Woody Posts: 45
    Options
    jake,[p]Reloading is a pain to be avoided, but not impossible. Been there, done that, don't wanna do it agin.[p]Remove meat, grate, and plate setter, if applicable, dump in some more lump, replace everything and then watch the temp for another half hour to get it dialed back in.[p]Woody