Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Golf Cart Ideas

Crispix49
Crispix49 Posts: 191
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
Wanted to ping the audience here to get some ideas, things to be aware of and some "food for thought" on buying a golf cart.  SWMBO didn't want earnings for our 10-year anniversary, but wants a family golf cart.  When it comes to buying one, I don't know what I don't know.  For those Eggheads here with a golf cart, please throw out some ideas on do's and don'ts and things to be aware of in the selection and buying process.
Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you are going used then battery age is important cause they are expensive to replace. If there are any hills where you live you need the 48v to maintain speed. Also I am jealous. I wanted one but we can see the community pool from our back yard in our new house so its gonna be a tough sell. A cool option I saw when I was looking is the back seat that flips into a flat carrying area. Forget which one had it but seemed like a good idea.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Make sure the cup/drink holders are in good shape...
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Lit said:
    If you are going used then battery age is important cause they are expensive to replace. If there are any hills where you live you need the 48v to maintain speed. Also I am jealous. I wanted one but we can see the community pool from our back yard in our new house so its gonna be a tough sell. A cool option I saw when I was looking is the back seat that flips into a flat carrying area. Forget which one had it but seemed like a good idea.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm leaning gas just for the reason you mentioned....having to deal with charging and eventually replacing an expensive battery; plus, since we live in a very hilly neighborhood, getting a little more power to boot is a plus from what I gather. The noise isn't really an issue for us.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited September 2014
    I own two E-Z-Go golf carts. I have a 1996 TXT model that is a gas burner I have had since 1999. I have completely redone everything on it. I put a rebuilt motor and a new rear end two years ago. I converted it to a four seater, added headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc. 

I have a new electric one I purchased in May that I park in my cart barn at my local country club. I love the electric, but not for home use. 

I want a gas burner for home. We ride all over town and our everyday route is about 5 miles. We usually ride the route at least twice. 

I have been having trouble with my gas burner this summer. I replaced most of the electrical components, and the first day I got it back the starter failed. I replaced the starter, but now I am having trouble starting it. It appears to be a fuel issue. 

I am going to price a brand new one with a Kawasaki engine. I will keep my old one just to have in the yard. 

I am partial to E-Z-Go! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • I own two E-Z-Go golf carts. I have a 1996 TXT model that is a gas burner I have had since 1999. I have completely redone everything on it. I put a rebuilt motor and a new rear end two years ago. I converted it to a four seater, added headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc. 

I have a new electric one I purchased in May that I park in my cart barn at my local country club. I love the electric, but not for home use. 

I want a gas burner for home. We ride all over town and our everyday route is about 5 miles. We usually ride the route at least twice. 

I have been having trouble with my gas burner this summer. replaced most of the electrical components and the first day I got it back the starter failed. Now I am having trouble starting it. 

I am going to price a brand new one with a Kawasaki engine. I will keep my old just to have in the yard. 

I am partial to E-Z-Go! 

Good info and Go Dawgs!
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    I have a Club Car DS, it's been great with no issues. There are endless mods and parts available for whatever your heart desires. I modified the wiring to enable idling and upped the speed a little. I originally went too far with the speed increase and have since reduced it a little. Just added a trailer hitch today. They are great units for running around the property, quiet and easy on fuel. The ATV doesn't get much use since I got the golf cart.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited September 2014
    I sold golf carts for several years...puhlease check your local regs, especially if you plan to use on public roadways...there are different rules (in Cali anyway) for street legal "NEV" or "LSV" vehicles and plain old golf carts. Mostly street legal ones, among other criteria are electric powered, not gas. Also, speak with your insurance agent regardles...Ive heard and seen many horror stories related to carts and kids, carts and teens, carts and cars, carts and pets, and carts an alcohol use. Better safe then sorry. They are fun, but CYA and do your homework. Johnkitchens: EZ-Go uses a Robin engine in its gassers....2 cylinders. Robin is owned by the parent company of Subaru....Fuji Heavy Ind. so, if youre partial to EZ-Go, youll be riding on Robin power. Club Car uses Kawasaki power....single cylinder. I'm partial to the Robin powerplants after years in the biz.... Just sayimg.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Last week in Aiken, SC a security guard on a golf cart at a hospital ran over a three year old little girl in the parking lot and killed her. 

They aren't toys. 

• Crispix49 said:
    I own two E-Z-Go golf carts. I have a 1996 TXT model that is a gas burner I have had since 1999. I have completely redone everything on it. I put a rebuilt motor and a new rear end two years ago. I converted it to a four seater, added headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc. 

I have been having trouble with my gas burner this summer. replaced most of the electrical components and the first day I got it back the starter failed. Now I am having trouble starting it. 

I am going to price a brand new one with a Kawasaki engine. I will keep my old just to have in the yard. 

I am partial to E-Z-Go! 

Good info and Go Dawgs!

Last week in Aiken, SC a security guard on a golf cart at a hospital ran over a three year old little girl in the parking lot and killed her. 

They aren't toys. 

Well said. No, they arent toys.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My little buddys golf cart. A few bolt on accessories. =)) He writes a note to the mailman everyday.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I have a ton of experience with golf carts. I flipped one on the road before I was 10 and flipped a truck on a golf course at 19. I would get a gasser for every application except riding the trails at the hunting camp. My father in law has a gasser and stays at an RV on the lake most of the year and all his buddies electric carts are dying all the time.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Get an orange one,, they're the fastest...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I live in a city where we can drive our golf carts anywhere we want . ( we have separate golf cart paths) I own an 09 ezgo rxv. It is a 48 volt cart with an A/C motor. I can drive 30+ miles on a charge and it looses NO power going up hill! Highly recommend getting a golf cart with an A/C motor.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Mine is a '07 Club Car Precedent with '09 batteries.  Got it reprogrammed to hit 19mph, which isn't bad for electric.  Just recharge after every use, and keep the batteries topped off.   We have hills in our hood.  No problem.  Had the paint job, lights, flip seat, and tow bar added.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Nice ride @500Here is the new electric E-Z-Go I got back in May. 

• My dad just got a 2010 Yamaha with flip down rear seats.  Luckily for me, it's being stored at my house for the time being.  Like others have said, if going electric, just keep the battery topped off after each use.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

Maybe this is an odd question but....  Why buy a golf-cart?  I can 'kindof' see why one may buy one if they're frequent golfers, or if you live in a private/gated community, but otherwise..... why?

/:)
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • I own two golf carts. Once lives at the country club and the other I keep at home. I live in the middle of town, and that is the only recreational vehicle we can legally drive in town.

4 Wheeler etc. are outlawed in town, but we are allowed to drive our golf carts anywhere in town we want to. Of course my town is only 3,000 people so it isn't a lot. 

My wife and kids enjoy an afternoon ride everyday.  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    BRush00 said:

Maybe this is an odd question but....  Why buy a golf-cart?  I can 'kindof' see why one may buy one if they're frequent golfers, or if you live in a private/gated community, but otherwise..... why?

/:)
    I'm trying to convince my parents to go in on one for their beach house in North Myrtle Beach. It's about a 7 minute walk from the beach, which is a PITA with a one and 2 year old plus all of their crap. Right now, we drive down and park in the public lot which can be a pain when busy and is also extremely wasteful.
  • We've got a Yamaha (2010 I think?) 48V that we bought used.  It probably wasn't my first choice in terms of brand as I prefer E-Z Go, but I got such a great deal that I couldn't pass it up.  Plus it was pretty well decked out with mods, but I knew the batteries were going to need replacing which was about $700.  Even with that, I still got a bargain.  Overall we've been happy with it and have no problem with speed or battery life, taking hills or whatever. 

You might look at the used market and see what you find. I know some folks on Ebay in our area buy them and recondition them like new for less than half what you would pay for a new one.  You might also look at your local country clubs as there will always be some for sale there.  As others have said, just be mindful to know how old the batteries are.       

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

500 Posts: 3,177
    That's a good looking buggy @johnkitchens‌. @Crispix49‌, check out http://www.buggiesgonewild.com. Lots of info on carts there, and a fun bunch of buggie fans.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I was about to post the same question and came across this. Did you ever decide on a golf cart? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    What an old thread, I bought a EZGO txt few months ago. Love it! Hard to keep it clean when we ride every other day
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • RiverBBQ

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Do not play golf but bought one for when the Granddaughters come down from North Dallas. Was told to buy gas and the person was correct. They start driving the thing at 8am and can't run it out of juice.
    Got a Yamaha w/ electric fuel injection and it has ran great for the 4 years I have had it. Also bought it to take to Seaside FL and that was the year they stopped allowing anyone except home owners to bring them in to Seaside or Watercolor. It has been money well spent for the Granddaughters. 
    I did not get a raised one as wanted the safety of the lower / reg height. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Good revival. Looking at these myself. We moved into a development last year in the early stages. 400+ homes when complete. Looking for something to cruise the neighborhood with.
  • Have owned both electric and gassers for past 40 years.  I really am sold on the newer fuel injected gas carts.  Easy starting, good gas mileage, quiet and smooth. I have owned a bunch of Yamaha's, and never had any issues. This one is a PTV, so it's street legal.  And it matches my pickup.
  • SonVolt
    edited August 2018
    So i'm on the fence between electric and gas. This would be used primarily for running around the farm, up & down the road to neighbors and carting the kids around.  Is gas a loud as a normal ATV? I kinda like how silent the electrics are.  Curious what the pros and cons between them are. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    edited August 2018
    Mickey said:
    Do not play golf but bought one for when the Granddaughters come down from North Dallas. Was told to buy gas and the person was correct. They start driving the thing at 8am and can't run it out of juice.
    Got a Yamaha w/ electric fuel injection and it has ran great for the 4 years I have had it. Also bought it to take to Seaside FL and that was the year they stopped allowing anyone except home owners to bring them in to Seaside or Watercolor. It has been money well spent for the Granddaughters. 
    I did not get a raised one as wanted the safety of the lower / reg height. 

Yep, we're headed to seaside in Sept and was told they no longer allow golf cart rentals unless you have a disability or it is required for a wedding. 
  • RiverBBQ
    Love when stuff goes together well.