Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs Tastes?

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I made 4 lbs of Beef ribs for the first time. Never ate beef ribs any time in my life. [p]Marinated these overnight in a strong marinade (with a apple cider and sherry as a base to break down the tough meat fiber.)[p]Qued them about 4 hours (low and slow) 240-50 over a drip pan with water in it. The ribs were moist, relatively tender, but not to my taste, nor to my wife's.[p]They were very greasy, had a strong beef taste, and much too much fat remaining. Is this typical of beef ribs or peculiar to the ones we had? [p]I know tastes vary. What one person likes another doesn't We love pork ribs, both spares and baby backs. We would grade these ribs a C. [p]What are your experiences and opinions about beef ribs?[p]Anthony[p]

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    Didn't cook them long enough. 6 hrs min to get rid of the fat and grease.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]I agree with JJ. Lower and slower (200-220F for 6+ hours) will render the grease, mellow the beef taste, but still leave fat. Beef ribs tend to be bone, fat, and then some meat.[p]I try to obtain the meatiest ribs I can and buy twice the amount as compared to providing spare ribs. Our favorite method is to marinate overnight in pineapple juice.[p]Spin
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BeefRibs06_12_0017_56_02.jpg
    <p />Anthony Up North, the ribs in the picture (cooked at about 225-250 for 5 hours) are from the one (and only) time that I made beef ribs.[p]Beef ribs aren't bad, but I prefer baby backs for the amount of time invested - there is nothing like pork on the BBQ! Have a great evening.[p][p][p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 37
    Options
    Spin,
    Do you add any spices to the marinade Or just straight Pineapple juice?
    Thanks
    Fingers

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I agree with you. I suspect JJ is right though, but even if more of the fat was rendered, the beef ribs would be still more greasy than the pork. We too love pork on the grill![p]I'll give beef ribs another shot do it the way the guys below recommended. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Will try a different marinade. [p]Anthony

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]You might want to try the ribs with no marinate at all or with only a rub that you're familiar with. This will give youthe flavor of what they taste like so you can see what you can add to them to fit your tastebuds. Just an idea. Not a big beef rib person either.[p]Troy
  • Anthony Up North
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Now why didn't I think of that. I was just telling someone on e-mail that I did not really care for marinades but would rather have the taste of the meat shine. Spices (rubs) tend to do that.[p]thanks Troy.[p]Anthony

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Spin,[p]I mostly use Wishbone Italian to marinade meats, this can become very expensive. Besides pineapple juice, what are some other less expenive marinades for chicken, steaks, and ribs.[p]Dec[p]
  • Gfw
    Options
    BBQ_Bible2.jpg
    <p />Dec, there are a variety od marinates and rubs posted in the recipe section of this site and if you get bored, check out the recipe section of my BBQ site. And if you like books, check out...[p]Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes - Steven Raichlen. Lots of great ideas and recipes for rubs and marinates. [p]The ones that you make are probably much better than the ones that you can buy - in addition, you can modify the original recipe to meet your tastes.[p]Good luck![p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    BBQ_Bible2.jpg
    <p />Dec, there are a variety od marinates and rubs posted in the recipe section of this site and if you get bored, check out the recipe section of my BBQ site. And if you like books, check out...[p]Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes - Steven Raichlen. Lots of great ideas and recipes for rubs and marinates. [p]The ones that you make are probably much better than the ones that you can buy - in addition, you can modify the original recipe to meet your tastes.[p]Good luck![p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Gfw,[p] Thank you for the information. Does the book have "quick" marinades that are easy to make , I often BBQ at the spur of the moment. That is why the pineapple juice caught my attention. I doesn't get any easier than that, and cheap too. On weekends I have more time to get involved with the marinating process.
  • Gfw
    Options
    Dec, I haven't found any marinate that takes more than about 15 minutes to make - if you have time on the weekends, make the marinate and save it util you need it - my experience is that making the marinate doesn't consume any time - the time is consumed, a rightly so, applying the marinate![p]Good luck![p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Dec,
    This will give you some help

[ul][li]BBQ Sauces[/ul]
  • Spin
    Options
    Hello Fingers,[p]We prefer straight pineapple juice.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Options
    Dec,[p]Beer works well when used overnight. It has a pH of 4.5 and is a gentle tenderizer.[p]Spin