Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good meat cutting knife?

Looking for a good meat cutting knife to cut/trim my meat before cooking...but not whole knife set. Recommendations?

Comments

• I also need a good sharp knife. Thanks for posting. I am sure we will get some good recommendations. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    I like the Misono X10 Santoku but it depends on what you are trying to accomplish...you will need a good 6-8 " utility knife also..I happen to like my Wusthof

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I use a shun classic 6 inch utility knife and love it for my meat trimming purposes.
    Dunedin, FL
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Any knife from Wusthof is great. I have quite a few and they hold an edge a long time.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    bcsnave said:
    I like the Misono X10 Santoku but it depends on what you are trying to accomplish...you will need a good 6-8 " utility knife also..I happen to like my Wusthof
    Mainly cutting spare ribs down to a St. Louis cut and trimming fat caps off of pork butts...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    You might consider this. Its small enough for trimming, but long enough to cut deeply into larger pieces of meat. The steel is good. Its a razor steel, so corrosion isn't a problem, and takes a fine edge. Misono makes a similar one in its molybdenum line. Costs a little more here. Look a bit heavier duty.

I've been going back and forth, and can't make up my mind. I typically use a 5" petty knife and a 9" chef knife to prep meat, and would like something  so I don't have to stop. and select a different blade.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I like a cleaver for trimming spares to St. Louis.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Ok im gonna throw it out there. I have used this for 25 years trimming and deboning literally hundreds of lbs meat chicken and venison, a simple Rapala fillet knife, cheap readily available, flexible and oh so easy to keep sharp.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    I'm a big fan of Shun knives. Have had most of mine (Ken Oinion) for years and they've been exceptional. Expensive and most people can find knives almost as good for a lot less money, but I like these. At any rate, I'd go for a knife (true for any kitchen knife), with a Japanese grind rather than the fatter European grind.

Knives are very personal. Ask 100 would-be cooks/chefs and you'll get 100 different opinions on quality knives.

For the purposes you describe, I'd use my 5 inch utility knife.

• I have recently started eyeing a cutco butcher knife.  I am a fan of this line of knives and see the butcher knife in my not to distant future.

LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI