Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED A BRISKET DOCTOR!!

Options
jfine1
jfine1 Posts: 87
Put a 7lber on last night for an overnight smoke and had the first couple hours really steady at 225. Went to bed and got up and saw the egg at 375. Brisket was 205-210 throughout and looked like a meteorite. Have it FTC'd now but is this going to be edible or is this an unmitigated disaster? HELP!!

Comments

• Boileregger
    Options
    If it is that small sounds like a flat, and given the high temp it might be a little dry, but hard to tell with the info you gave...didn't say how long it was at the high temp.

Either way, no disaster. If after slicing it is too dry for you, just chop the whole thing up and put it in the crock pit with your favorite BBQ sauce. Serve as chopped beef sandwiches, it'll be great.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Some have been turboing some briskys lately so it might be OK, let us know.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Did you probe it for tenderness?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jfine1
    Options
    @Boileregger‌ unclear how long it was at the higher temp for as I was sleeping. @Terrebandit‌ the probe went in very easily although clear outer bark was thick and dry
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Been there several times. Try to make a slice. If that works continue slicing and serve. If you cant make slices, chop and add some sauce for the best chopped beef sammys you have ever had. Serve on cheap hamburger bun with some sliced pickles.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Keep us posted.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited September 2014
    Options
    You are actually right in (if not just a touch past) the wheelhouse for a great brisket. It may fall apart on you but it may be perfect. Meteorite is a good thing so no worries there. Too late for this one but If it happens again, let it cool for 30-45 before the FTC. The temp actually continues to rise for a while once you wrap. If you let it cool a little, you can keep that from happening and save it from over cooking even more in the FTC. . It will still hold for several hours but you won't get that spike in temp that comes from putting a brisket right off the egg in the cooler. Outside of this, listen to Travis. This temp of brisket makes the bet Sammy's so don't fret, you will be eating like a king either way (just the way you planned it, right).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jfine1
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice
    The thing was nuked so have stripped away the bark and chopped the rest to be heated in a pan with BBQ sauce for sandwuches
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's supposed to look like that. You just took all the flavor off.

:( image
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I promise you it was not nuked if your internal was 210. It may have had crusty edges but you just trim those off and start where it softens a bit.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If it's not too late,
    Mix some of the bark back in to the meat/sauce in the pan. All the smoke is in the bark. It's just a roast under the bark.
  • jfine1
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ I stripped off a chunk of the bark and discarded the ends - and did just what you said: mixed the meat with a little bark, heated thru with BBQ sauce and the guests all enjoyed! Not how I intended but all ended well. Thx all for the help!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited September 2014
    Options
    jfine1 said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ I stripped off a chunk of the bark and discarded the ends - and did just what you said: mixed the meat with a little bark, heated thru with BBQ sauce and the guests all enjoyed! Not how I intended but all ended well. Thx all for the help!
    cool deal. I know it looks weird that butts and brisket have meteorite bark on the outside but that's exactly what you want and that's where all the glory is. The smoke does not really penetrate the meat more than a tiny amount so all the smoke flavor resides in the bark. 

Glad it worked out in the end. I knew you had a salvageable brisket, sometimes we just have to improvise. Those sandwiches were probably better than 90% of the bbq restaurants out there (even down here)

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Cen-Text is right. The bark usually protects it for a while if you go over a little. I like the bark and so does most of my family. Post a picture of you hard work. I bet it's good. The bigger question is where did you have your vents set at. I only had mine go up about 30°. Did you have high winds in your area. I was going to start 2 pork butts last night, but we had heavy storms come through so I am using the turbo method on them now. I put them on at 10 around 320, I have it st 343 now and is reading 145 internal. Planning to eat at 4:30. I'm not using foil except to ftc.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.