Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Puffed up cryovac brisket

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
I had a 12 lb prime brisket wet aging in the fridge for the past four weeks. I was planning to smoke it today and I went to the fridge and the cryovac was all puffed up. There were no holes in it as I pressed down on the "pillow" and no air leaked out.  I crossed my fingers and slit the packaging. It smell very sour to say the least. There is no discoloration but an hour after opening it, it still smells pretty bad. When I opened the package, there was a cow hair trapped in there - maybe that's the cause. Guess this one's going in the trash. Too bad because it's a beautiful piece of meat.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hey look you are going to get all kind of opinions on this but here is mine. Soak it for 5 minutes in cold water then smell it. The meat is good if the smell clears. The hair is odoriferous. Cook it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Or send it to me and I will cook it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    And I will eat it.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Just saying.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Do you need my shipping address?

Status- Standing by.

• Dillonjm
    Options
    Someone feed that man!
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @SGH - I still have it on a tray in the fridge. I'm just having a hard time tossing a $53 piece of meat. I may give that a try.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    Options
    Soaking it for 5 will not hurt anything if you use cold clear water. Be sure to remove any hair and danglers and I bet the smell clears.

Status- Standing by.

• Terrebandit
    Options
    The foul gas inside the cryovac package is the result of the bacterial decomposition of the meat. Enjoy.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I'd be eating out or picking up a pizza dough from the local pizzeria and making pizza for dinner. The brisket would be in the trash. Same as if I found a can of food that was swollen.
    Options
    @minniemoh‌
    What's the verdict? Did the smell clear?

Status- Standing by.

• Tjcoley
    Options
    The smell for me is not the issue. I agree if opening a cryovac and it smells bad, rinse it and if the smell goes away, it's going on the Egg. A bad smell and a "puffed" up package - no way. To each his own, but my deductible for an ER visit is more than $53.
    Options
    Do a search for 'blown package meat' and 'clostridium'.
    Options
    No change in the smell after the soak. Just not worth the risk. I'm sure I would buy WAY more than $53 worth of toilet paper after my family ate this one. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    Options
    @minniemoh‌
    If the soak didn't remove the smell then trash it. Sorry for the bad luck my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Do a search for 'blown package meat' and 'clostridium'.
    Yeah...that's pretty great info.  Thanks!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I had a bloated prime grade packer a couple months ago and the stink wouldn't go away even after rinsing.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I even cooked it and could still smell it. It ended up in the trash. You made the right decision in my opinion.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • revolver1
    Options
    That's a heart breaker. Sorry!
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Don't trash it...take it back to the store where you bought it. They might give you your money back. And if not I'd just trash it in the can by their front door. ;)