Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AR and Woo Cook Times

Options
Just purchased the Woo for my medium and AR for my large. Yesterday I cooked wings on the medium and beef ribs on my large. I felt both were over cooked while temps and times were the same as with a plate setter. Do the Woo and AR shorten the cooking time when everything else is "apples to apples" because the food is now higher in the dome? All was not bad. The color of the food was much more even than using the PS. I felt I didn't have any hot spots as usual. Any insight/opinions are always appreciated.
Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @nealcr1‌
    As you encroach upwards toward the the dome you start picking up considerably more reflective heat from the dome. This certainly can and will speed the cooking time. Notice that you said you had a very even browning. That is a good sign of reflective heat omitted by the dome. This reflective heat can be used to ones advantage for many things. Examples- Crisping chicken skin, crisping vegetables, etc...
    For most large cuts of meat- pork butts, roasts, whole poultry etc... I try to split the difference as much as I can between the indirect piece and the dome. Why? To help even out the reflective heat omitted by both the indirect piece and the dome. This helps to reduce the chance of scorching or over browning of either side. As a simple test to see the affect of the reflective heat cook a few chicken wings at regular grid height indirect and then cook a few wings raised high in the dome at the same temp. The ones cooked close to the dome will cook faster and the skin will be crispier. The egg cooks by a few different mechanisms- Radiant heat, convective heat, reflective heat and direct heat transfer from the metal grid. Changing the application of any of them certainly can and will affect cooking times. I hope this helps my friend. Sorry that I couldn't explain it with more detail. If you still have questions I'm sure others can offer more guidance if you ask. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @nealcr1‌
    Here is a guide that I follow that works well for me. Thought I would share it with you as well.
    The smaller cuts I cook high in the dome. Chicken wings, legs, clams, vegetables and such.
    The larger the cut I try to stay as close to "gasket level" as possible. Roasts, buttes, while poultry etc...
    This is not a must or golden rule. However it is something that has worked very well for me yielding excellent results. Good luck and I hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @nealcr1‌
    If you notice the measurement from the indirect piece in relation to the measurement to the start of the "curvature of the dome inward" it's easy to understand why grid level is perfect for larger cuts. On a 5-6 inch thick cut of meat you will split the reflective heat from the dome and indirect piece almost 50/50. That's about as good as one could hope for. imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @nealcr1‌
    If the above doesn't answer your question I will gladly be more detailed. I was pressed for time when I wrote all of the above. I'm free now to go in depth if needed my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    @SGH‌ Perfect explanation. Makes sense. It's just a small learning curve. Just after 8 years of egging, one gets use to certain times and temps. Thanks for the info.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • SGH
    Options
    You are more than welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.