Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Bratt recipe to soften casing

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
I got in trouble last time I cooked bratts because the casing was too "snappy" and "chewy" when I cooked them low and slow and then high heat really quick to get some color. If I do raised direct will that cut down on the chewy casing?
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I put mine in a CI pan with some Yuengling until it boiled out then got some color to the brats in the pan. Added in sauerkraut and. deglazed the pan with the brats and kraut and served. Casings were fine IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    First time I did brats I only did low and slow to 165 degrees internal and the casings were rubbery and tough. Next time took them to 185 and they were about perfect. Didn't bother to finish them w/ high heat. They were a beautiful red color. Used apple and hickory for a great taste.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • yzzi
    Options
    2 Hungarian kielbasas raised direct.
    3 brats in onion, beer, butter mixed over a bit of Hickory smoke at about 350 degrees.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I sliced an onion, poured a bottle of beer and a hunk of butter and let the onions simmer and they were fantastic! I plopped the brats in there for a while too and let it simmer. The casing was great this time around. Topped the meal off with grilled potatoes and carrots and some frankfurters for the kids. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @yzzi‌ Sounds like a "weiner" :)) Ya okay kinda corny. But, seriously that's looks and sounds delicious! :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Too snappy?  Not possible.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• yzzi
    Options

@yzzi‌ Sounds like a "weiner" :)) Ya okay kinda corny. But, seriously that's looks and sounds delicious! :-bd

Haha, that's up my alley.

@Doc_Eggerton‌ I agree with you, but I was threatened by my wife that I'd be eating all vegetarian this week if it was snappy :-(
    Dunedin, FL