Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dang, just broke my daisy wheel top

Options
Only use it for low-and-slow and forget to be careful opening the dome. Fell off onto concrete and the cast iron broke in two.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Yeah, I broke the DFMT for my mini.
    Unlike many others, I do use it,
    Had to step up for a new one!   Rats

>:)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Don't buy a new one - buy a SmokeWare cap instead!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @RRP‌ good suggestion, do you have one? Happy with it?
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @RRP‌ good suggestion, do you have one? Happy with it?
    Sure do! 18 months now and I have never even once returned to my old daisy or ceramic bonnet! It works like a charm, settings stay put, cap stay on and when done it seals tight to snuff the fire!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @RRP was learning where to set it pretty quick. I know whith my daisy and lower vent where to set it for different temps. Any learning curve ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    +1 on the smoke ware cap.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @RRP, if they would get off the stick and make them in mini-size, I'd certainly grab one. I love it on my large
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options

lkapigian said:
    @RRP was learning where to set it pretty quick. I know whith my daisy and lower vent where to set it for different temps. Any learning curve ?
    not really, just a little practice, but what's so good is there is no leakage to contend with, The design is so there are 3 equal openings around the cap, turn the visible one and the other two are the same. Just learn to turn your cap counter-clockwise and that way the protruding tab stays out of the way of the hot exhaust. Otherwise even with the protective tab cover it will get hot.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if you only use it on low and slows I would think twice about the smokeware. It's a cool little deal but I could nver keep it as low as I wanted with it. I know others have had better results but I loved it for normal cooks and hated it for low and slow.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    @RRP, if they would get off the stick and make them in mini-size, I'd certainly grab one. I love it on my large
    Matt is still weighing the options and so far he doesn't feel the initial tooling setup and design costs will match the demand and now with the rumored maxi-mini hitting the street and the possible demise of the current small and mini I can understand his dilemma. I do think its a good sign though that he is currently out of stock. They are growing in popularity that is for sure! 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Smokeware seems a bit expensive for something just to snuff the fire after a cook. That's all I would use it for if I ever break the ceramic cap. Time for some HDAF I think.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Smokeware seems a bit expensive for something just to snuff the fire after a cook. That's all I would use it for if I ever break the ceramic cap. Time for some HDAF I think.
    Michael, where ya been man? The Smokeware dials in your temperature far better than a sloppy Miss Daisey ever did!
  • TifffanyD
    TifffanyD Posts: 119
    Options
    My daisy wheel fits really snug and I have to work to pull it off. Do you not have the gasket on the top ceramic?
  • RRP
    Options
    TifffanyD said:
    My daisy wheel fits really snug and I have to work to pull it off. Do you not have the gasket on the top ceramic?
    If you have to tug it to get it off, then I bet your daisy wheel is probably junked up and therefore the setting is not changing when you open the dome. Otherwise if your wheel is free to move and then you use the lined up bolts trick which keeps the wheel setting then you need to be able to easily remove and turn the cap. Tugging it would be a real pain. HTH
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, I rarely use the DFMT. Lower vent only - most times right on the money. If it rains, a cheap vent cap. Used it twice I think. HATE to cook in the rain!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CPARKTX
    Options
    @TiffanyD I did not add gasket to the DFMT, only the ceramic cap. Unfortunately.
  • qprhooligan
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Only use it for low-and-slow and forget to be careful opening the dome. Fell off onto concrete and the cast iron broke in two.

What part broke? Mine fell off and the. Top broke off the base where the screw holds it on. If the top of yours is good I could use it.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Put it a vise or maybe use a ratchet strap to hold it together. Jb weld will hold it as it doesnt get blistering hot on the outside of the egg
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    RRP said:
    TifffanyD said:
    If you have to tug it to get it off, then I bet your daisy wheel is probably junked up and therefore the setting is not changing when you open the dome. Otherwise if your wheel is free to move and then you use the lined up bolts trick which keeps the wheel setting then you need to be able to easily remove and turn the cap. Tugging it would be a real pain. HTH

I don't have to tug to slide it open... Just to lift it off. It's snug
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @TiffanyD I did not add gasket to the DFMT, only the ceramic cap. Unfortunately.

Oh you put it on the inside of the ceramic cap rather than on the outside of the egg top? Bummer :(
  • RRP
    Options
    Guess I wasn't clear. Do you lift it up, align the two bolt heads so the wheel is open where you want it and then put it back down? If so then never mind...I thought maybe it was so tough to move then maybe your wheel was junked up and making it tough to move as well.
  • TifffanyD
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Yes I do that and make sure it won't move around when i open the lid. Not gunked up - it's brand new :) It just wouldn't ever fall completely off because it's set on there tight.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You broke cast iron?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @henapp I think the DFMT is cast iron. Cast aluminum? Whatever it is broke upon impact with concrete patio floor.
  • RRP
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @henapp I think the DFMT is cast iron. Cast aluminum? Whatever it is broke upon impact with concrete patio floor.

Henapple was just pulling your twig...cast iron, which that cheap DFMT is cast from is fragile and will break easily when dropped.
  • qprhooligan
    Options
    Any of you who bought the stainless steel top, want to sell me your old cast top?
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options

I wish I was near you! I would weld that bad boy for you. Cast iron is repairable.

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @CosmicVoyager‌ I appreciate the offer. Looks like I'll be on the market for one of those fancy new caps, my skillset is limited to soldering not welding!
  • RRP
    Options
    Any of you who bought the stainless steel top, want to sell me your old cast top?

tell us where you live. Those are heavy and postage might be a deciding factor.
  • egger ave
    Options
    @RRP  I have a daisy wheel in Round Rock that I may part with. Let me know. New ones are $50.00 plus on Amazon
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein