Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table fire II

Options
I cut the hole my pine table top to small when I built it. Decided to cut a larger hole have a stainless top made by an Amish sheet metal shop. I had a piece of granite ordered. After two months and still not done I canceled it. The stainless was completed in two days.
Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @jackh, that looks great, you made a good decision to go with the SS.
    BTW, tell me about the cool looking little wheeled table you have for your mini (or small).where did yoiu find that?
    Huh?
    Huh?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    It was cheap patio table I had down cellar. Bought two steel rods and 4 wheels from HD welded them to bottom of table works great.
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Thanx, looks like a real winner!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Hi..nice top...

Can I ask whats the deal with the cork under the dome thermometer?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    bcsnave said:

Hi..nice top...

Can I ask whats the deal with the cork under the dome thermometer?

Excellent question !??? @Jackh‌

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Looks like a great way to shorten the thermometer probe inside? Make since as I frequently struggle with placing items to avoid the probe when doing raised grid setups.
    Dunedin, FL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That stainless steel top looks beautiful.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Jackh said:
    I cut the hole my pine table top to small when I built it. Decided to cut a larger hole have a stainless top made by an Amish sheet metal shop. I had a piece of granite ordered. After two months and still not done I canceled it. The stainless was completed in two days.
    You have the upscale version of my 8 year old cedar table, recently upgraded....:). I had the stainless top fabricated locally too, out of some 13 gauge 304 SS. Easy to care for, certainly. I do keep a big poly cutting board close by to protect my knives since I do a lot of prep work on that surface. The SS cleans up great with a little BarKeeper's friend. Note that the ceramics of a plate setter or pizza stone can scratch the SS pretty deep. I periodically have taken an orbital sander to it with some 400/800/1200 wet/dry sandpaper...then a little fine Scotchbrite. Polishes the thing right up.

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Looks like a great way to shorten the thermometer probe inside? Make since as I frequently struggle with placing items to avoid the probe when doing raised grid setups.
    Depth of placement of the dome thermometer can vary the accuracy of measurement. Be careful about getting it too shallow...it can change the temp reading by as much as 15%. Here's some Whiz info...

. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/whichteltru.htm