Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Husker Nostalgic Cook(s) «««pic heavy»»»

Started with 2 Pheasants. (recipe courtesy of my Mother from circa 1970s). Mounted Ringneck was shot and mounted in the late 70s.
imageimageimageimage

Deboned both birds. Crushed up 3 rows of Ritz crackers. Cut up deboned Pheasant into irregular pieces. In glass bowl beat 3 whole extra large eggs. Dipped each piece of meat in egg and then into the crackers. CI pan was coated with sweet cream butter and then each piece of bird was layered into it. Lastly drizzled one stick of sweet cream unsalted butter over it. Egg set-up was indirect 350℉ using RW. Covered with foil for the first hour and the last 30 minutes uncovered to get it a bit more crispy on top.
imageimageimageimage

No Husker Game is complete without Redeye Brewskies.
imageimageimage

Next up was Runzas. 4.5# ground chuck, 1/2 head cabbage, 2 Vidalia onions and S&P to taste. Yeast roll dough for the Runzas. Set-up indirect at 400℉ on pizza stone using RW.
imageimage

Couldn't forget corn on the cob.

Plated.
imageimageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    What can I say brother husker but awesome! Excellent pics as well. Enjoy sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Nice! Looks like a good day on the egg!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    GeorgeS said:

Nice! Looks like a good day on the egg!

Thanks! Any day the Huskers play is a great day. \m/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    B-) Nice Hands!!!
    Best catch ever!!!!: http://youtu.be/SXSmpb8vCHw
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    You pretty much have to be a Husker to know and appreciate Runzas. I think I'll whip some up with some of the pizza dough balls I have sitting in the freezer.

Speaking of Nebraska fare....we did Cheese Frenchies the other night (@NPHuskerFL will likely know what those are). Not on the Egg, but at least on the Egg table. My wife tells me that the deep fat fryer is an outside toy....
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    I know beyond any shadow of a doubt the bird was fine. It is very rare if ever a pheasant can be located this far south. I'm very jealous.
  • NPHuskerFL
    mslaw said:

I know beyond any shadow of a doubt the bird was fine. It is very rare if ever a pheasant can be located this far south. I'm very jealous.

I requested my butcher get it for me. Sadly I didn't shoot this one. I miss it for sure.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother husker we have a place over here that raises and sells pheasant. We should get together sometime and eat 10 or 15 of them. Your always welcome here brother.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Have you ever done a spatchcock pheasant? That sounds good to me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL

Have you ever done a spatchcock pheasant? That sounds good to me.

Nope. But, after getting these I'm seriously thinking about getting a few more sometime in the future. I already have several ideas. This was really to pay homage and respect to my heritage and Midwestern upbringing. My Mother has never made the Runzas but, she cooked MANY Pheasants, Quail, Prairie Chickens, Doves, Ducks, Canadian Geese, Rabbits, Squirrels, Deer, etc etc. Pretty much anything we brought back from hunting.

And finally my last batch of Runzas. All the extras were vac saved. All ready for the next few games as far as Runzas go. B-)image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    That meal looks incredible.

It's almost time for the bird farm about 10 miles from my house to release thousands of pheasants. I left a lot my of property go back to the wild hoping I'll see more pheasants around the house again. The neighboring properties either mow or have horses and cows grazing that minimizes the pheasant habitat. I don't hunt, but enjoy watching them run around.

@NPHuskerFL‌, I've seen a million pics of your table, but every once in a while you show a shot that makes me want a SS table. The two pics with the dome open are awesome. I like the cleanliness of the work area. I use wooden EGG mates and no matter how hard I try to keep greasy stuff off of them, the grease finds it's way on to the wood. The grease stains drive me crazy.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    @stemc33‌ Thanks for that compliment! It's beyond easy to keep clean...damp cloth, wipe down, bing-bang-boom, wham bam thank you Mam...at the very most I use a disinfectant and a SS food safe polish spray ««then wipe down again with a damp towel because I don't trust that it's a 100% food safe.
    Your property sounds (and the pics I've seen give affirmation) beautiful. And even better w/ Pheasants strutting around B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Ahhh, the Runza.  I love them!  Had three today at the game along with copious amounts of Bud Light.  They give me the wind something fierce, so I'm having some fun with the wife tonight!! :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    @stemc33‌ Thanks for that compliment! It's beyond easy to keep clean...damp cloth, wipe down, bing-bang-boom, wham bam thank you Mam...at the very most I use a disinfectant and a SS food safe polish spray ««then wipe down again with a damp towel because I don't trust that it's a 100% food safe. Your property sounds (and the pics I've seen give affirmation) beautiful. And even better w/ Pheasants strutting around B-)

I use a poly cutting board separately. I store it vertically and lay it down on the stainless steel to provide a knife-safe cutting surface. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_13?url=search-alias=garden&field-keywords=cutting+board+plastic&sprefix=Cutting+board,garden,216&rh=n:1055398,k:cutting+board+plastic
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    I like the way you roll NPH. Food looks great.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great cook. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Those Runzas look awesome....a bit like a beerock?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Looks awesome Blake!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nice work and shout out to the Runzas.  We just came back from a family road trip back to "The Good Life"  Nice product on your grill and nice product Bo and the Boys put on the field yesterday!

Way to go and "Go Big Red"!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    God that cook was almost as good as the offensive output yesterday.  Nicely done man!!! I especially appreciate the Runzas as they can be a lot of work but the reward is ten fold.  The Pheasant recipe is so simple I might give it a go this year.  Well done as always Blake! 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    lkapigian said:

Those Runzas look awesome....a bit like a beerock?

Short answer is yes Bierock is the origination (Russian & German). They're a Nebraska tradition and staple. My final batch I added in some mild sharp cheddar cheese to a few and a few got some monterey jack cheese. When I make these I normally make enough to freeze.
    Runza, don't walkza, to get a Nebraska classic: http://youtu.be/kg09aqMZ9XU
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  •  Pheasants, Runza's and the Huskers. That's my type of day. Good to see the boys rolled yesterday. Thanks for sharing as always. GBR!!!
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother husker looks like you have a fellow husker on here as well.^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    SGH said:

@NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother husker looks like you have a fellow husker on here as well.^^^^^^^^^

There's a few of us on here. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Nice  looking spread you made 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • NPHuskerFL
    BOWHUNR said:

Ahhh, the Runza.  I love them!  Had three today at the game along with copious amounts of Bud Light.  They give me the wind something fierce, so I'm having some fun with the wife tonight!! :D

Mike
    That had to be a fun opener to attend (Sea Of Red). Every local channel here was showing the epic behind the back catch. Then bashed us for playing them as if we choose our schedule :-??
    I'm wishing we played OU or KS for a non conference game. Miami will suffice I guess.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    That looks outstanding, I always enjoy seeing your creativity in cooking.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Man, it's been a long time since I have had a Runza. I always try to have them when I visit Nebraska.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.