Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket puzzle

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,624
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
14.5 lb prime packer that has been 'wet aging' past it's date in my fridge since my freezer went out. It smelled fine, but the soft fat took on a bit of a textural change. I ended up trimming more of the cap than usual because if this and by the time I cut out all of the hard fat between the point and flat, this thing was really skinny.

I decided last night after quite a few beers that I didn't want to cook it over night, so I put it on at 8 am, trying to semi-turbo it until at least 4 or 5 PM. I've got it raised in the dome, dome temp 300 to start.image

I squeezed it together when I put it on to give it more bulk (like bunching a Rutland gasket).

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I might be wrong but I don't see that 14LB cooking in 7-8 hours even at 300! Good Luck!
    Brandon, MS
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

I might be wrong but I don't see that 14LB cooking in 7-8 hours even at 300! Good Luck!

It's possible, lots of peeps employ the hot and fast technique. Myron Mixon for one has that dialed in.

I like to cook a lil longer as I prefer the way the fat renders at 250ish.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've been wanting to try a turbo brisket, but I'm afraid of making it tough. I guess I will try about a 7-8 lb one so if it's not any good, it won't be to much waste. Looks good and good luck on the cook.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Legume
    Options
    I'm going to watch it closely and dial it back if I can but I need a couple of hours to get a feel.. It was more like 11-12lb after trim. The marbling in it is amazing, so I didn't worry about trimming too much of the external fat. In my experience, prime cooks a bit faster, maybe I'm counting on that. I'm assuming this will be a more active cook than normal.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Sounds like a great eggsperiment-I'm sure it will be quite tasty-prime packers end up that way as long as you don't miss the end-game.  I would guess that the "finish-line" window may be a bit tighter with the higher cook temps.  But since you are dialed in for an active cook then you will be fine.  Tasty eats await!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I always cook my 12~14 lb briskets in 5-6 hours and I always separate the flat and point. At 150 IT, wrap in foil making sure the foil will catch all drippings. Carefull not to spill or tear when removing. After FTC, brisket will pull in a lot of the juice. After cutting, dump the remaining over the slices.
    Good luck.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Legume
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The temp climbed to 340 early on, I've gradually walked it back to 250 and it's probing 180-185. Six hours in, I'm going to just let it go at 250 for a while. image
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    It looks good!! Can't wait to see it done.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm rolling hot right now as a test cook for NOLA brisket camp. I put a 16lb prime packer on at 10am and have been rolling around 350. I wrapped it in paper at 178 (that's where it stalled) at 2pm. It's already climbing out of the stall. It is a jiggly puddle of goo so I have high hopes. It was 13 lb after the trim and I plan to have it done in 7 hrs or less. If it tastes as good as it looks I may never cook another way again.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hope you nail it brother Tex.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I'm test firing one at midnight myself on my vertical. Going to try 375 over 8 gallons of water. What's the worst that could happen? We shall see.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

Hope you nail it brother Tex.

Me too or $68 down the drain. I always cook slow Nd I never wrap but I did t want to tend an egg all night on my wife's bday in NOLA. I need to know how to do it both says anyway so hopefully this works out. It looks freaking awesome. The whole point looks like it could just jiggle right off already. If the flat comes together like the point, we are going to be eating well tonight.

I'm shipping a snake river farms Wagyu to NOLA's so I didn't want that to be the first time Cooked hot and crutched. That would be a lot more than $68 down the drain and even worse, I would hate to turn out a dud to all my peers. Wouldn't be the first time though but I got away with that one.
  • SGH
    Options
    I hear ya brother Tex. I'm suppose to cook just a flat on the egg. Not worried about that at all as I can do it in my sleep. I'm also going to cook a select and a choice packer hot and fast. That has me a little worried. Doing a 21 pound choice tonight as a trial run. I have had fair luck running dry. Going to try 8 gallons of water. My thoughts are start out wet to really lay down a dense smoke. If I done the math correct the 8 gallons of water at 375 should be gone around the 5-6 hour mark. This will let me set the bark in a dry environment. We shall see. I have certainly miscalculated before.

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cool
    We will have. Wagyu, choice, and select packer so we can all
    Sample the difference. I may try to find a CAB as well. I've had very good
    Luck with those.
  • SGH
    Options
    If I'm correct you are doing a wagyu.
    In doing a flat on the egg.
    A choice and select on the vertical.
    Not sure about Nola.
    I think Eggcelsior is cooking one as well.

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Well this thread has taken an interesting turn-and I am on a steep learning curve here.  About the hottest I have run is 290-300*F with a prime packer and it was fine.  @Cen_Tex-a weak eggscuse (wife's B'day) for the eggsperiemnt but whatever works.  No doubt it will be most eggcellent but as I mentioned above, the finish window should be a bit tighter.  Dang-SRF for the brisket camp. Now that is some fine eats-only cooked one once (Father's day) and it was outstanding.  Have another in the program que but it will be a few months down the road.  I don't travel in your refined circles to justify that purchase more than about twice a year.  
    Between you and @SGH it will be well worth more than the price of admission for the camp.  Better be some quality food posts along with the ancillary adult supervisory beverage testimonials.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother Tex you do realize if we fail at cooking these briskets to perfection on the 20th we are never going to hear the end of it. Oh well. I may have to leave the forum!!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

Brother Tex you do realize if we fail at cooking these briskets to perfection on the 20th we are never going to hear the end of it. Oh well. I may have to leave the forum!!!!!

Just do what everyone else does...leave and come back as somebody else :)). That will be embarrassing if we lay an egg...

And cap- I'm going to be out on Bourbon street all night for my wife's bday. That beats tending a fire any day ;)
  • SGH
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    The only time I really like to push the temp real high is when using a massive water pan. I find that the window doesn't slam quite as fast when the humidity is in the high 90% arena. Now this is just what I have noticed. I have no recorded imperial data to back it up. Just my personal experience. The reason I'm going hot and fast is I'm sure folks don't won't to be waiting 30+ hours on brisket. If time wasn't a factor I would cook these about 20 hours over water and then dump the water for a dry 10-12 hour finish. But that isn't a option this time. Hot and fast it is. I think I will have it dialed in pretty good after tonight. Also if mine is a failure I'm going to say that I followed cazzys advice! ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Just messing with you man.^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Brother Tex if we fail we can always blame it on the alcohol!!!!! No shame there!

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I always do! In just pulled
    Mine. 5 hours on the button. Its
    Like butter all over so we will see in a few hours when I crack it open.
  • SGH
    Options
    It should be fine brother. If you are up at 5:00am I will let you know if mine is successful as well.

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

It should be fine brother. If you are up at 5:00am I will let you know if mine is successful as well.

I'll just have to take your word for it.
  • SGH
    Options
    I can't blame you there!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The point got ahead of the flat, so I separated them and pulled the point.

I wrapped the flat in parchment at 190 and let it go a little longer ( didn't have butcher paper). It never did get very tender unfortunately. I FTC'd them for an hour and carved. The point was money, the flat was good, not great. I probably trimmed too much fat.