Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My pizza's suck

Options
Hi i'm new to the forum and this is my first post, I have owned a egg for about 4 months and have loved it  I cook on it at least 5 times a week everything is great i'm doing my second brisket now a 12 lb now. but my pizza suck need help tried 4 now and they all taste like grill charcoal flavor. I let it heat to 600 f and wait 20 minutes till plate setter rack then pizza stone are to temp cook about 8 to 12 minutes till the middle looks done. I've tried making dough, buying a papa murphy's, super market, ect, PLEASE HELP

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    What lump do you use?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wait at least an hour after lighting before you cook the first pizza.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Can you get Rockwood? It seems less smokey to me then BGE. When I do steaks at 600-700, the egg burns clean except when juices drip on the fire. I've not done pizza yet, but the RO seems better then BGE. I've also been told by my neighbor another egger that he let's his stone heat up for at least 30 minutes. I'm taking a pizza class in two weeks and will be trying myself after that. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Eggsalent‌
    I feel your pain brother. I can cook any cut of meat that you can think of but I can't make pizza to save my life. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggsalent
    Options
    I sell them at work and people tell me how good the pizza's are but I cant get it also I have let the egg sit at 600 - 650F for while I drank 2 beers no smoke same result
  • Eggsalent
    Options
    I will try waiting an hour next time, but do I let it sit at 600 for an hour
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Stone has to be hot. I pre-heat mine in the oven while the coals are getting hot. When I've got the dome temp to 600, I put the stone in the Egg and let the whole system heat soak for about 10 minutes, until the stone temperature (by IR) is at least 450 degrees.

I use Rockwood charcoal, but made a lot of pizzas with BGE. Get it burning clean (burn off all the volatile organic compounds) and get the pizza at least at gasket level and you should be good to go.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Welcome.
    Too hot, IMO. Try cooking at a lower temp, in the 500-550º range. Pizza is a combination of dough (store bought is usually meant to be cooked in an oven - not many will hit much over 500º, 00 home made will spring better at higher temps), toppings (less is better - don't load the pie too much, the dough will char before the cheese melts and the toppings cook, shredded cheese is easier and pre-cook some of the veggies and protein - microwave is your friend) set-up and temp (Setter legs up, grid on the setter or an extender than puts the pizza stone 1-2 inches above the felt line. Make sure the stone has an inch or more clearance to the dome allowing air flow) 
    Try letting the setter warm with the egg for a total of at least 30-40 minutes, pizza stone for at least 15 minutes if it is 1/2-3/4 inch thick - if it is thicker, maybe 30 minutes. Using a damp cloth - wipe the stone before you put the pie on, I like parchment paper. 

Once you try this, if not to your liking, change only one thing at a time until you get something that works. A neutral charcoal is good, but RO works OK for wood fire pizza and it is very much the same as BGE. 

Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I agree that lump should be ok. BGE isn't bad lump. It does have a slight more "smoke" to it than others. Is there the potential for leftover chunks that were left behind? Did you clean out and use new lump before pizza? One last thing. What method do you use to light egg?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Eggsalent
    Options
    I use the electric egg thing and I always clean it out good anytime trying to get it above 400 I totally clean it and hand put big pcs on bottom so not to clog
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Welcome.
    Too hot, IMO. Try cooking at a lower temp, in the 500-550º range. Pizza is a combination of dough (store bought is usually meant to be cooked in an oven - not many will hit much over 500º, 00 home made will spring better at higher temps), toppings (less is better - don't load the pie too much, the dough will char before the cheese melts and the toppings cook, shredded cheese is easier and pre-cook some of the veggies and protein - microwave is your friend) set-up and temp (Setter legs up, grid on the setter or an extender than puts the pizza stone 1-2 inches above the felt line. Make sure the stone has an inch or more clearance to the dome allowing air flow) 
    Try letting the setter warm with the egg for a total of at least 30-40 minutes, pizza stone for at least 15 minutes if it is 1/2-3/4 inch thick - if it is thicker, maybe 30 minutes. Using a damp cloth - wipe the stone before you put the pie on, I like parchment paper. 

Once you try this, if not to your liking, change only one thing at a time until you get something that works. A neutral charcoal is good, but RO works OK for wood fire pizza and it is very much the same as BGE. 

Good luck!

Agree...I cooked this white clam pizza tonight at 475, as measured on the analog OEM thermo on *another brand of Kamado, and it was perfectly cooked. 600 is too hot.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Eggsalent
    Options
    thank you I will try the next one at 450 -475
  • Maccool
    Options
    Too hot imparts a "grill charcoal flavor"? How does that work?
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    I tried cooking pizza in the BGE and was not impressed.  I have gone back to cooking them in the kitchen oven and they are much easier.  The dough is easy.  One tip that I learned on this forum is...mix your dough the night before and let it rise in the fridge over night.  Makes it really easy to shape to your pizza pan the next day.  I have experimented with both All Purpose and Bread flour.  Both are good but prefer the Bread flour now.  I buy bulk yeast and keep it stored in a vacuum canister in the fridge.  It lasts forever that way.  If you know that your yeast is fresh you do not have to proof it.  I proof it anyway out of habit.  Make the dough in less than ten minutes.  The evening before (16" pizza):  In a mixing bowl add 1/4 cup of tepid water, stir in 1/4 t sugar, stir in 1.5t fresh yeast and wait for it to start to bubble (3 minutes).  When it bubbles you know that your yeast is good.  Add three cups of flour, a pinch of salt and two tablespoons of olive oil. Start mixing in a mixer and dough hook or by hand and adding water until if forms a ball and is not sticky (no more than five minutes).  Place in a olive oiled container at least four times the size of the dough ball. Turn to coat the dough ball with the olive oil.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and with an ice pick poke a dozen small holes in the plastic wrap so that it can breath.  Put in the fridge over night.  The next day when you are ready to make your pizza remove the dough from the fridge and place on a flat floured surface.  Flatten the dough ball slightly and then working from the center using your finger tips start poking the dough in the center and working it into the proper shape.  This has been a fool proof system for me.  Do it a few times and you will master it.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I had a similar problem. I had done many low and slows and then a pizza. Tasted like pork butt. I did a clean burn to the BGE and there was no bad taste. I clean burn my egg before pizzas or pretzels since I usually cook at 350 or below. Get the egg to 750 - 800 and let is go till the lump burns out. The BBQ grease and residue will be me burned off the. Sides and top of the egg. Good luck.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Maccool
    Options
    Every year for 30 years my wife's family is up for several days over the 4th of July (we live on a lake). 20-25 people, 3 generations (now 4). Every year, one of the nights is pizza night. Given the number of people, one grill/BGE just doesn't accommodate the volume so in the past, half have been done in the oven. It's a tough audience, but pizzas on the BGE are hands-down vastly superior, by family acclimation. I won't even cook a frozen pizza in the oven anymore.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I, too, have done side-by-side pizzas. Same temp. Same homemade dough. Same toppings. My family couldn't tell the difference, so I've gone back to the oven. That way, it's a quick meal. I can preheat the oven even when I'm away. I pull the dough from the fridge, prepare the toppings (try sharp provolone instead of mozzarella) and cook. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    I had a similar problem. I had done many low and slows and then a pizza. Tasted like pork butt. I did a clean burn to the BGE and there was no bad taste. I clean burn my egg before pizzas or pretzels since I usually cook at 350 or below. Get the egg to 750 - 800 and let is go till the lump burns out. The BBQ grease and residue will be me burned off the. Sides and top of the egg. Good luck.
    Great point. Unless you have a pizza or baking egg, all of the cooks over the past few weeks might just unintentionally flavour your pizza. Plan your cooks if you can - grill some pork chops after doing a butt, if you want to penny pinch on the use of lump!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Maccool said:
    ... pizzas on the BGE are hands-down vastly superior, by family acclimation. I won't even cook a frozen pizza in the oven anymore.

Couldn't disagree more. I find virtually no difference between egg and oven pizza. Regardless of the type of pie (NY, Chicago, pan or napoletana), baking temp (450-725) or type of flour (AP, bread or 00). Well, there is one difference... The oven is considerably easier.

As for frozen pizza, not even an oven would help one of those. :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggsalent
    Options
    I think ill give it one more try next week if they still don't taste good back to the oven.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    As mentioned above you probably just need to wait a little longer.  I would suggest you put the plate setter as soon as the fire is going steady so that any crud on the setter has a chance to burn off.  I agree also that you might want to cook at a lower temp for store bought dough.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Maccool said:
    ... pizzas on the BGE are hands-down vastly superior, by family acclimation. I won't even cook a frozen pizza in the oven anymore.

Couldn't disagree more. I find virtually no difference between egg and oven pizza. Regardless of the type of pie (NY, Chicago, pan or napoletana), baking temp (450-725) or type of flour (AP, bread or 00). Well, there is one difference... The oven is considerably easier.

+1   Well said!
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• johncor
    johncor Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, I'm new too, and made pizza on my egg once. Started at 600+, and it was too hot. Once the egg cooled down to 500-550, things got better. Next time I will raise the stone higher in the dome so the top melts at the same time as the bottom browns.
    LBGE - Southern Maryland
  • Maccool
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Maccool said:

I couldn't disagree more. But that's OK. If there was one right way to do it, there wouldn't be so many different ways to do it and these simple pizza threads wouldn't be so long...image
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    I smell so much residual odors after a low and slow that I feel it necessary to burn it out prior to any other type of cook. Also, my first cook was charcoally tasting probably because I didn't allow the lump to burn off enough at first and get to coals.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    Options
    Have you tried putting down corn meal on the pizza stone? Once stone is seasoned pie shouldn't stick but 'till then try corn meal. And 500 or so always works for me
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Build and cook your pizza on parchment at 500. It won't suck. One caution, don't go heavy on the toppings
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggsalent
    Options

I do use corn meal next time ill try parchment paper

• Eggsalent
    Options

Gonna try next weekend using all your tips  ill let you guy know thank you