Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

From Mini-Max to a small

Options
So my local dealer had an Egg cook/display today. I've been very interested in the mini-max, and I got to ask the folks that travel for BGE and cook what they had heard about a release date.....( insert crickets) nothing! Arghh no idea when. On the bright side I scored a NIB Small for $350.00! So still a great trip, what are everyone's thoughts on the small. Is it a good companion to a large I've heard some don't get as hot?
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,386
    Options
    I just picked up a SBGE last week (eggfest deal) and I went with the conventional after-market toys even before I fired it up.  I got a HI-Que grate and instead of the platesetter or whatever it is called today-the woo and 10" stone from CGS.  Those who steered me in that direction were "spot-on".  
    Paying forward with your $$.  It is a hacker.  Know nothing about the Mini-max but given the reduced lump capacity...then where in the cook equation does it fit?  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ thanks! That is a good idea how do you like your SBGE?
    -Todd
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Mini max? What's that.... (Bge corporate office)
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I have been a long time advocate of the large and small combo! My small gets 2/3rds of all my cooks! I happen to be in the camp that has no high temperature problems so maybe I'm biased, but I love my small and hope that you will too.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,386
    Options
    @RiverDoc-recognize this is a one-sded comparison, but I thoroughly enjoy the SBGE.  Only two in the house-hold but two mid 20 carnivores (sons) close at hand.  LBGE deals with the "restock my life refrigerator requests" but I would do it all over again with the SBGE.  Getting a routine work-out this weekend.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Thanks @RRP‌ for the input I'm super excited to try it out.
    -Todd
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I have a large and small. I wouldn't have it any other way. My small has never had a problem going nuclear.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The small is a great little cooker.  I have sometimes had issues getting it up to temp, but lately it has been treating me quite well.  I have simply been stacking the lump a bit "loosely" and I can get it up to temp quickly.  

For $350 you can't loose! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hercnav
    hercnav Posts: 11
    Options
    Nice score! I've been patiently waiting for the Mini-max, but I think I might pull the trigger on a small as well.
    Large BGE, Mini Max
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The small rules!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I have the large/small combination as well love them both
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    small will hold more lump for longer cooks and is worth the weight IMO
    Beaufort, SC
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I think the XL and the Medium are the ultimate combo :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    My distributor told me last week that we should have them in our inventory within 2 weeks.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• RiverDoc
    Options
    I don't plan on traveling with it so the weight is fine. We are headin to a ball game out of town, so I won't bring it home until tue. But I think it's gonna be a great addition
    -Todd
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    As an owner of every size but the XXL and medium, BGE missed the boat on the mini max IMO.  I know several people that have bought Jr. Joe's because they were tired of waiting and tailgating season is here.  They should have released the mini max right after they started displaying it in the shows.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    It really is beyond ridiculous at this point
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That's a great deal on a small! Nice find - you will love it. We use ours at least 2-3 times per week. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

My distributor told me last week that we should have them in our inventory within 2 weeks.

Have the MAX in inventory or what?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    You will love everything about the small except cleaning it out. That sucks and is a terrible design. Overall, the small is awesome.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @BOWHUNR‌ agreed! I'm a fairly patient person but, it's bordering ridiculous at this point. I'll wait for the MAX but, FWIW I can't understand how hard it is to design a box for shipping (should've been done a LONG time ago---it ain't rocket science). Maybe I'll have mine by the time we play Miami ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    @BOWHUNR‌ agreed! I'm a fairly patient person but, it's bordering ridiculous at this point. I'll wait for the MAX but, FWIW I can't understand how hard it is to design a box for shipping (should've been done a LONG time ago---it ain't rocket science). Maybe I'll have mine by the time we play Miami ;-)

Doubt it's "the box" thats holding up the product. No, it isn't rocket science, so typically a product delay of this sort is something else....certainly not the packaging. It's product related; Design, manufacturing process, or supplier. Thats what holds up market releases. Believe what you wish, but they aren't missing out on substantial sales revenue of the MiniMax because their packaging supplier "cant design a box for it..." Seriously.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • tedzap
    Options

My dealer called in and was told the minimax would be available sometime in October.

Maybe the rumored container issue is actually the design of a travel case.   They may have decided they really shouldn't release without one.   I haven't taken my egg anywhere, but that is certainly what I want one of these for.  

I am glad that I just heard about these, otherwise I would be ranting about how late they are.

Hang in there eggers, I think it is going to be worth the wait.