Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Demo Egg

Options

Hi all,

I've been browsing the site for a while now but just recently signed up.  I'm going to BGEggtoberfest in October and thinking about buying a demo egg but I've got some concerns.  For those of you who have bought demo eggs, can you answer these questions:

• Is the demo egg covered with the same warranty as brand new eggs?
  • Are they in the box when you pick them up or are they fully assembled?
  • Are there usually issues with the eggs (maybe the eggs that don't pass a quality check)?
  • Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

- Joe

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Full warranty. Fully assembled. No defect and if so full warranty. Only downside is a long wait. They shut them down at 3 pm then have to scoop the coals then cool them so you might wait around for several hours.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I would feel very safe saying »»» full warranty, assembled, no QA issues and the only concern I would have is which one to buy. Enjoy whichever you size BGE you buy (or be indecisive and buy 2). :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options

Awesome - Thanks!  I'm not too worried about waiting around for a while - my friends and I make a weekend out of the event and camp out at Stone Mountain all weekend, so I'll have nowhere else to go.  :-)

I've gone to the BGEggtoberfest the past 3 years but it's going to be my first egg so I'm super stoked!  I've wanted one for the last 4-5 years.

• Monaarts
    Options
    I would feel very safe saying »»» full warranty, assembled, no QA issues and the only concern I would have is which one to buy. Enjoy whichever you size BGE you buy (or be indecisive and buy 2). :))
    They only sell the large BGE at the BGEggtoberfest, no?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Couldn't say for sure. I've never been there or any fest for that matter. But, 2 LBGE would be perfect also. I only have the one LBGE that is until the MAX is finally released from GTMO or wherever they're holding them hostage :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monaarts
    Options

The large BGE should be fine - I usually only grill for a handful of people and will also have a gas grill a couple feet away for side items (if needed).

• OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    I just got my demo egg this yesterday from the Indy Eggfest August 23 and yes it comes with the full warranty and fully assembled. The eggs at the Indy Eggfest had a tag on the nest with the owner's name and number(you are assigned a number when you reserve your demo egg). I had fun going around the fest looking for my egg. I don't know if they are delivering the eggs at the Octoberfest but mine was delivered. I agree with Lit that the hardest part was the wait and being one this forum didn't make it any easier. Don't get me wrong I love being on it and learning all about the different cooks and things to cook. It's was just frustrating not to be able to try all those great ideas at the time. Also the savings off the price of the new egg was worth the wait. 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • Monaarts
    Options
    So I did it, I ordered a demo egg from the Big Green Eggtoberfest in Atlanta on October 11th.  Large Egg, Egg Nest (which I don't need so I'll sell), plate setter, grill grip, ash tool, 1 box of fire starters and a bag of lump for $750 even (including taxes)!  I can't wait for October 11th to get here so I can get my egg!  :-)
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I got my XL at an egg fest. You will not be disappointed. Welcome to the circus. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    Congrats! My next egg will most definitely be a demo egg, mostly likely an XL whenever it is time to upgrade from a medium.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Got my egg at the North Georgia Eggfest in Hiiawassee. Proudly still has the tag and my number hanging in it still to this day -(hince my signature line if you aren't on the mobile version).

Will I get another demo in the future - ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Nothing wrong or risky with buying a demo egg. People line up to purchase them. BGE warrants them just like one bought from a dealer. If you have the opportunity to get one jump on it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Congrats-demo BGE is the way to go if the timing supports.  Picked up a SBE to complement a LBGE at a fest and the dealer honored the fest promo even though no one cooked on anything other than XL and LBGE's.  You definitely did well.  
    Have fun and welcome aboard.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    IT's NOT A JOURNEY....IT's a SICKNESS...Welcome Aboard!

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome the day will come when you can post pictures off your cooks 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now