Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX2 Newbie

Just got the DigiQ DX2. However, it's not holding my temp. In fact, it's allowing the BGE temp to exceed the temp that I set. Has anyone else had this problem? I set the temp at 200 but the temp has soared to over 230. I set it up and turned in on when the grill temp was at about 140. Why did it let the temp exceed 200?

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    I do not own one but I have heard this issue before. Check the choke settings near the fan and close that some if you have it all the way open.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Yup - you need to choke off the airflow a bit. The unit can't do anything if your Egg is getting too much air already for the temp you're trying to hit. Do you have the top DFMT open at all?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    200 degrees huh?  Good luck with that.  The guru folks told me not to expect much success at anything < 230ish.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • You need to let your fire grow before you shut your dome, if you let your digiQ try to bring to temp it will push your temp up. Light your BGE, get good coals, then close lid and bring within 25.deg F of ur target. Then put daisy wheel on with appropriate setting

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide#latest

Then make sure you digiQ intake is appropriate 1/3 for low&slow then go from there.

You will learn from trial and error.

Only way to learn lol!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Real low temps are difficult.  if there is enough air flow with the fan not running to keep the fire burning, it will burn.  Close the top damper (daisy wheel or whatever) to minimal and close the damper to 25% on the fan and make sure everything around the fan adaptor is as sealed as it can possibly be.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• I'm finding the only way to keep the temp down low is to completely close the daisy wheel. I'm also finding the DigiQ pit probe temp is consistently higher than the dome thermometer temp. In fact, it's much higher.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    The tep thing is normal. As long as it isn't like 100° different
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• I'm also finding that closing the vent door so it slides all the way over to the fan draft is very difficult. I'm worried I'm going to break the door. Did anyone remove their screen to make this easier?
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    I have the CyberQ but the fan mount need bent to the curve of your vent opening to fit well and get the vent door to close correctly IMO.
    Jacksonville FL
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Just got the DigiQ DX2. However, it's not holding my temp. In fact, it's allowing the BGE temp to exceed the temp that I set. Has anyone else had this problem? I set the temp at 200 but the temp has soared to over 230. I set it up and turned in on when the grill temp was at about 140. Why did it let the temp exceed 200?

After calling the folks at DigiQ, here is what I do and it works every time. After you light your starter, you only need one, let it burn with the lid open for 5 minutes. Then start the DigiQ with the daisy wheel on. Make sure the pit probe is at the edge of the grate not directly over the lit lump. Male sure the vent for the fan is about 1/2 to 3/4 open. The DigiQ will slowly bring the egg up to temp. It takes longer but you will have not overshot your temp. If you use too many fire starters and get the fire to hot it will be harder to maintain the temp. Once the temp is stable I add my wood chunks, platesetter and wait for 30 minutes before adding the meat.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    I have found that 200°, at least for my digi-q is not achievable. I think each egg and each digi-q may vary. I am able to hold 220° for ever though. Good luck.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • I'm finding the only way to keep the temp down low is to completely close the daisy wheel. I'm also finding the DigiQ pit probe temp is consistently higher than the dome thermometer temp. In fact, it's much higher.

I attach me probe tight to the thermometer and get identical readings. You have to figure any time you are following a recipe the temp you are told 99% of the time is done temp. Plus cold food going on the grill is less likely to throw off your reading if it isn't touching it.

Crappy pic I know but I can't help the fact that I'm cooking at the moment lol
  • I'm also finding that closing the vent door so it slides all the way over to the fan draft is very difficult. I'm worried I'm going to break the door. Did anyone remove their screen to make this easier?

Try closing the scream first. It will overlap the edge of the blower then close the exterior, it will slide right over.
  • I have the pit probe clipped to the meat probe, the way I've seen it done on a number of Youtube videos that I've seen. Pretty sizeable temp difference as my dome thermometer is showing a much lower temp. In any event, I've got 3 six pound Boston butts on my large BGE now. They've been on for about 13 hours and I'm showing an internal temp of 158, which is higher than the temp reading of the dome thermometer on the BGA (this tells me my dome thermometer must not be calibrated). I'm going to ramp up the pit temp to 235 to try to raise the food temp to about 203.
  • dstearn
    I have the pit probe clipped to the meat probe, the way I've seen it done on a number of Youtube videos that I've seen. Pretty sizeable temp difference as my dome thermometer is showing a much lower temp. In any event, I've got 3 six pound Boston butts on my large BGE now. They've been on for about 13 hours and I'm showing an internal temp of 158, which is higher than the temp reading of the dome thermometer on the BGA (this tells me my dome thermometer must not be calibrated). I'm going to ramp up the pit temp to 235 to try to raise the food temp to about 203.

I calibrate my dome themometer every so often and since I have done that my dome temp is around 20-25 degrees higher than grid which is normal. I have also noticed that as the meat shrinks up such as a brisket prior to the cook the temp difference is nominal due to the meat temperature rising and consuming less BTU's.
  • Interesting. My dome temp is much lower than the pit temp. I have the alligator clamp attached to the meat thermometer. My dome thermometer must be out of calibration.
  • dstearn
    Interesting. My dome temp is much lower than the pit temp. I have the alligator clamp attached to the meat thermometer. My dome thermometer must be out of calibration.

I had the same experience prior to calibrating. I just calibrated my dome themometer about 5 minutes ago. It was off by 5 degrees. Best practice is to recalibrate prior to a long cook. I just clip my pit probe a few inches from the meat in the grill grate.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I can hold 210 easy enough. When you first get eeverything set put a few chips on the fire and see where the smoke cones out. You may need to close your entirely
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN