Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket, need some advice please!

Options
Hey guys,

My wife bought me a large brisket (20 lbs) for me to cook for this weekend's games. I have never done a brisket, and have done some research, but couldn't write a paper on my findings yet. First question, it's still frozen right now since that's how it was bought, how long am I going to need to thaw it? Second question, should i split it into two? I have a LBGE and a MBGE, but didn't think I could fit the whole thing on my grill. Final question, is there a method that y'all feel is pretty fail proof, or can you link a discussion post on here that handles this?

Thanks for any and all input and Roll Tide y'all.

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2014
    Options

If you're cooking it this weekend, I would put it in the fridge now.

Don't cut it!!  Use a brick wrapped in foil or something for it to drape on so it will fit - it will shrink pretty quickly and you can remove the brick.

Lots of discussions here - I would stabilize the egg at about 275 with lots of wood of your choice (I like pecan, but oak is traditional).  Cut off the hard fat, rub with S&P (or your rub of choice) and let it go.  Make sure you have a thermometer and cook until it probes like butter all through the flat (about 195-202 internal).  About 1.5 - 2 hours/lb.

Slice against the grain - which is different directions for the point and the flat.  Google Aaron Franklin's youtube videos for some good tutorials (although he says to wrap, and I don't think it's necessary, other than FTC after the cook).

Good luck!
    NOLA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I've only done one brisket and I didn't really know what I was doing.  It also wasn't that big.  Yesterday there were a few posts on brisket and they had really good videos on how to trim, season, cook, and cut a brisket.  The videos were done by Franklin I believe.  Check them out and good luck!!!  I'm going to have to try brisket again.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    buzd504 said:

If you're cooking it this weekend, I would put it in the fridge now.

Don't cut it!!  Use a brick wrapped in foil or something for it to drape on so it will fit - it will shrink pretty quickly and you can remove the brick.

Lots of discussions here - I would stabilize the egg at about 275 with lots of wood of your choice (I like pecan, but oak is traditional).  Cut off the hard fat, rub with S&P (or your rub of choice) and let it go.  Make sure you have a thermometer and cook until it probes like butter all through the flat (about 195-202 internal).  About 1.5 - 2 hours/lb.

Slice against the grain - which is different directions for the point and the flat.  Google Aaron Franklin's youtube videos for some good tutorials (although he says to wrap, and I don't think it's necessary, other than FTC after the cook).

Good luck!

Buxd504, has said it best in my opinion. DO NOT CUT IT! You could separate it when it gets to 195 and make burnt ends out of the point, but if this is you're first brisket I would keep it whole and slice against the grain when you are ready to serve. When trimming the fat off, City a small piece of the flat where you know it is against the grain. That way you will be able to tell where to cut when its done. I would think it should fit on the large egg, but the brick idea is good too. Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is exactly what I needed to hear! I will be checking out Aaron Franklin has to say, and will be sticking it in the fridge ASAP. I am going to be using one of the dizzy dusts to coat it. Should be a great time no matter what.

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Since that thing is 20 lbs, you will want to fill the egg to the top of the fire ring (nearly touching the plate setter for this cook. This one's going to take a LONG time and you don't want to run out of lump. Also, mix in your smoke wood chunks throughout the lump when you load it - I like oak and hickory on beef. (use whatever you like) Get the temp good and stable for an hour or so before you put on the meat and trust your fire.

Also, make sure you put a deep enough drip pan (with spacers) under it as there will be lots of grease from a clod that large. Oh, and I'm in agreement - don't cut it. You might even have to roll the flat under itself for the first few hours if the brick isn't making it short enough to fit on the L. Once it shrinks, enough to fit, pull out the brick and keep the dome closed as much as you can. Monitor it with a therm probe so you can see how long the stall is. It will likely be quite a few hours where you feel like you're getting no where.

Good luck and enjoy the cook. Don't let it stress you out. After all, it's just a piece of meat. If you have a set serving time, you can FTC for hours so try to get it done a little bit early.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

All good info above-as mentioned, Check out Aaron Franklin's videos especially the one on trimming the brisket.  You will need the brick (or inverted rib/roast rack) to get the initial fit.  Also, make sure to foil protect any sections that overhang the platesetter or whatever heat deflector you use. 

As the hinge area of the BGE is the hotter area (due to air-flow characteristics), I run with the point to the back of the BGE.  The point has a much higher fat content than the flat so it can take the heat and will likely be around 5-10*F (or more) higher in temperature when you get to the finish-line.  Don't worry about it-turns out to be the best eats of the whole thing.  And don't slice til ready to eat as it can dry out before your eyes.  Enjoy the adventure.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Here are some pics on how people fit the large briskets (pic courtesy of Bubba Tim)

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    Awesome pictures and great information to do. Something I wanted to get your expert opinions on was how to keep the fire hot through at least twelve hours. Somehow I keep losing my fire about 8-9 hours in, and I have still not figured out to solve this issue. Any suggestions?

• lousubcap
    Options
    As you know, the BGE runs on air-flow once you get the lump lit.  To get long duration low&slow cooks, initially fill your LBGE up close to the top of the fire ring and then light.  If using smoke wood intersperse it throughout the lump load so when the small fire moves around the lump it finds the wood.  Depending on the brand, density of the lump  and calibrated dome temperature you can easily run 24+hours with around 250-260*F on the dome and still have lump left over at the end of the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    Hey guys,

For any of you early birds, brisket has been in the egg since 10:20, and have been dealing with a fluctuated heat of 219 - 265. Every time I try and get my wheel just right I either get to low or to hot. Its 6 am and the brisket is at 180, hoping the stall has kicked in so that I don't have to pull and rest before my desired time to rest it at 12. Coals burned fantastic, haven't opened grill at all, but want to figure out what I can do to get that desired 225 - 250 next time. Will post pictures when I get it finished and cut! 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Your still at smoking temp at 265. No worries. FTC will hold for hours especially if you warm up the Towell in the dryer. Can't wait to see results
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    Options
    A key to the low&slow is to find the "sweet spot" for your BGE.  For most it's somewhere around 240-260*F on the dome.  Don't chase temperatures-+/-10-15*F is fine.  Once you get in the temperature range-let it stablize (no vent movement) for a good 30-45 minutes before loading up the meat. The BGE will initially drop in temp when you load it up but then return to your stable temp without any operator action.  FWIW-
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    Can successfully say that I made it over the stall, and went ahead and wrapped it in butcher paper that I picked up from town I am thinking that I am going to let it rest two, maybe even three hours before I actually start carving, just to let it rest and take back in all the moisture. I am thinking that next time I do a brisket I am going to try oak instead of hickory. From all the different posts I have read, I think this time I am going to experiment with pulling it at 190. Towels and cooler are the proper method I do believe for resting, and so going with that route.

• lousubcap
    Options
    The finish-line indicator on a brisket is totally independent of temperature-when you can probe the thickest part of the flat "like buttah" then you are there.  And every cut is different-high-end well marbled may get there in the high 180's others can run into the low 200's.  It's the "feel" that's key.  FWIW-
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I smoking brisket with cherry wood. It gives out a great smoke ring and a nice flavor to the meat. When it gets in the 190 range you can start probing it to see where is done. Don't worry if the point is already done, but the flat isn't. It will be fine, so leave it on tell the flat probes easy. Sounds like it's going to be good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.