Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook

Comments

• TifffanyD
    TifffanyD Posts: 119
    Unless there is something custom currently available?
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    TifffanyD said:
    Lol Bless all y'all's hearts

Lol that was the best post in this thread :) lol
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I think the woo with crossbars and the right size pizza stone gives you the raised direct option and an indirect option. Plus you could also cook the best pizza you ever had
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited August 2014
    @grege345 I like the woo in fact I have one for both my large and med eggs. Yes it gives the raised direct and indirect options. But I disagree about using it for best pizza.  Are you just using the stone on top of the raised grate? If so that is not best option. It's only my opinion. I do respect yours.
    BUT
    Using a plate-setter and pizza stone combined with a gap between them is a better way to geaux. 
    If TiffanyD has the budget to justify she should buy both. But if her main goal is to do pizza cooks then the plate setter and pizza stone are the way to geaux.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @TigerTony‌ I should have been a little clearer. Two pizza stones would be needed to do the pizza the way most of us do it around here
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Congrats Tiffany! And a hearty welcome to another 'girl' egger! I must warn you though that the BGE is highly addictive, and you will find many new friends to help you eat your cooks!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Yep, what SmokeyP said. Spatchcock. It's a culinary life changing experience.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Welcome aboard!! The meatballs look great! Glad to hear the dog got one too. :)

I don't have a medium, but I do have a large and a mini. The woo was the best purchase I've made for the mini. Combined with 2 pizza stones, you're set for all sorts of versatility. For pizza, you'll need to use both stones and the woo like in the pic below (look closely and you'll see both -- 1 to provide indirect heat and the other elevated for the pizza itself). For an indirect cook or a low and slow, just 1 stone and the woo is needed. And if you want just a raised direct cook, the woo helps with that as well.

That being said though, a few beer/soda cans will getcha by for doing a raised direct spatchcock chicken in the meantime.

• TifffanyD
    So with the 2 pizza stones I assume you keep one "clean" for the pizzas and then the other reserved for indirect?
  • TifffanyD
    evie1370 said:

Congrats Tiffany! And a hearty welcome to another 'girl' egger! I must warn you though that the BGE is highly addictive, and you will find many new friends to help you eat your cooks!

Thanks! :)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I just checked the ceramic grill store and it looks like they offer a 10" stone for the medium Woo.  At least that is what they show here:

Just my $.02, but with a 15 inch grid that seems like a small stone for indirect.  I think I would go with a 12-13 inch stone to give you a larger indirect area.  

It probably is a good idea to have a dedicated indirect stone, but if they do get dirty you can just put them in a hot egg to clean them.  

@TiffanyD if you are dying to do spatchcock now your original idea of a couple of fire bricks will work fine.  IMO it is fine to just cook on the main grid.  Just don't fill the lump up too high.  Raising the bird gives you the added benefit of helping to crisp the skin but it will still be good on the main grid.  Beer cans work too! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    edited August 2014
    You can just place foil on the surface of the stones to keep them clean. Then discard the foil between cooks. It doesn't matter which is used for the pizza or indirect.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited August 2014
    TifffanyD said:

I am good with it SGH. But you should warn dudes too. I can't think of anyone that wants hot projectile stones headed their way (deserves them... Maybe ;) )

Dudes would not listen to him... :(|)

@TifffanyD, see how much a plate setter and pizza stone cost and how much the Woo cost with pizza stones, that should tell you which way to go. I would check with a local dealer in your area to see if they offer any classes on cooking on the egg or go to an Eggfest to talk to other owners and would see how they cook. My dealer has classes and have been to two and am going to a pizza class in 2 weeks from today. Good luck and there is a lot of information on here to help you when you want to cook something.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TifffanyD
    So I've got the chicken on now. Didn't go as well as yesterday. My first fire went out. Got the second one going and set but it's just so much smokies than yesterday. Is that going to cause problems? Is it because I reused the charcoal? I thought that was ok...
  • TifffanyD
    Oh and have up on the cans after the first fire died lol
  • SmokeyPitt
    It is fine to reuse the charcoal.  If it was smokey and the fire is dying it is an airflow issue.  Most likely there was some ash left over that is clogging the vent.  Before you add any new lump or light it, stir the unused lump and sort of rake it over the coals.   This vid is pretty good on this page (relighting starts at 3:45);

Generally you want to wait until it is burning pretty clean before you put the food on so if it seems to smoky give it a while.  I guess I'm a little late as your chicken is probably about done by now! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TifffanyD
    Done! I checked at an hour and overshot temp on the bird. Hope it's still juicy :)
  • Dyal_SC
    Looks perfect! Nicely done... =P~
  • llrickman
    I always reuse what lump is left  i use my ash tool , stir it around and always make sure the holes in the firebox are clear. Also when i light it i'll leave the bottom vent and the lid open for about 10 min before closing and adjusting to temp. It help make sure you have a good fire going

Granpas Grub posted a help page quite a while back and i keep it bookmarked for reference. You probably have seen when coming to the forum but just in case here it is

It has links to vent settings, CGS, Naked Whiz and a ton of other stuff

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/696661/x/p1

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Also after knocking down the ash, rake it out of the bottom vent as much as possible. It will help with airflow. When you do a long slow cook and get a plate setter or what ever, you will want to take all the old lump out, clean all the ash then put new in enough for your long cook. I always leave room for the old lump and put it on top if the pieces aren't to small. Your chicken looks good and I bet it is still moist. I wish my wife would embrace the Egg the way you have. Its a lot of fun and I think she would like it if she knew how. Keep the great work and enjoy.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    FWIW the only thing I do is stir the old lump, dump in new (if needed), and light her up. I only clean out the bottom every 5-6 cooks. Been doing it this way for almost two years with no problems.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TifffanyD
    I need to get an ash tool - mine didn't have it. My worries about the smoke were for naught. So good! And the potatoes were REALLY amazing
  • llrickman
    I recently started doing my baked potatoes drizzled in olive oil sprinkled with sea salt wrapped in foil. I hadnt done them before cuz its just so easy to use the microwave.  NEVER AGAIN baked taters on the egg are amazeballs  :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SmokeyPitt
    If I may suggest- next time try not wrapping in foil (at least for a while).  They will pick up a hint of smoke and be extra good.  My wife will seriously not eat a tater if it is not made on the egg.  

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Awesome job @TifffanyD‌. Welcome and enjoy!!!
  • TifffanyD
    Yes we did oil and salt. I need to get kosher salt... Used to do baked taters that way in the oven and so good!

So no foil at all next time? Sounds like a good idea :)
  • TifffanyD
    Ladeback69 - what is the point (length of cook) where you take it all out and start with new lump?
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843

TifffanyD said:

Cen-Tex ... I *know* this yet I don't remember to do it!! How do you combat reflex memory and make yourself burp the egg?

the egg has a way of reminding you. It usually only takes once :)

Took me twice. :-(
    Dunedin, FL