Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

kamado joe full court press?

Options
I had not been to my dealer in a while , looks like they have a great kamado Joe setup in store. Some beautiful stuff and sll the fixings. Grabbed this brochure.
It looks like they are here to play ball....add in the "divide & conquer" accessories that come standard ,$300 or so an egg owner coughs up after the fact.

The standalone with stainless steel setup really caught my eye.

I know there has been plenty of Jr love here, just thought bge better not be standing still.....like they are with the max.....maybe.

imageimage
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I called my favorite dealer a while ago(Fireside Grills Augusta Ga) to get a price on a small. He actually tried to talk me into a KJ because of the significant cost savings. I know it's cheaper but I have a hard time imagining cooking in anything but an egg. Your first time guys are going to see saving though and make a decision that way. I do like KJ's lump for long low and slows. I had a 27 hour cook with that charcoal once. BTW I am in in way affiliated with Fireside Grills. They are actually two hours away from me. They just have excellent customer service and a ridiculous selection of everything bbq.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Some really nice features- competition fuels innovation so let see what this spawns over the next few years. I love my egg but feel like they are relying on their name and market position. Many companies have befallen the same fate- let's hope it's not the case here.
    Greensboro, NC
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

This is interesting...BGE is now "cost saving" their product by putting on PLASTIC handles on the egg, the grate lifters, and accessories.

The KJ is using stainless with wood handles...they may just take market share when compared head to head

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    They seem to be heading in the right direction for sure. Their accessories alone show the people making decisions use the product. How does BGE not have a raised direct option yet? Glad they have the inflatable and clock though.
  • bcsnave
    Options

Lit..

What do you mean..the clock?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• Lit
    Options
    I was being sarcastic but I was referring to the neon clock they made that was posted in a thread today titles $250. They have managed to make every accessory you can think of except ones to improve cooking on their main product.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    bcsnave said:

This is interesting...BGE is now "cost saving" their product by putting on PLASTIC handles on the egg, ....

FYI-Big Green Egg stock handle is wood.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Lit
    Options
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER‌ BGE did go plastic with their handles not too long ago but quickly went back to wood.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I am extraordinarily happy with my BGE medium, but I recommended that my son buy a KJ classic if he were thinking about a kamado cooker.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    In this day and age all it takes is exceptional customer service and a near equivalent product and they will lose market share for sure.  Very interesting indeed!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • bcsnave
    Options
    I drank the BGE Kool-Aid...as I am all in down to the bottle opener ...hat...and even the patio lights...just saying that if BGE doesn't keep up on the Quality / Durability of their products.....I have seen stainless nests...look at Saffire..,,,  http://www.saffiregrills.com/    really nice product

Glenbeulah, WI

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Lead, follow or get outta the way. Appears to me Kamado Joe is here to play ball. The consumer wins when there's competition.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    How many times must we read about the Joe on this sight? It's like beating a deadvhorse
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    How many times must we read about the Joe on this sight? It's like beating a deadvhorse

Not sure why you call it a dead horse....people are still discussing it. Apparently its still quite conversation-worthy. You can bypass threads you arent interested in anytime...dont have to read them. Or, maybe you can't :D
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Lit said:
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER‌ BGE did go plastic with their handles not too long ago but quickly went back to wood.
    Indeed they did, we had plastic handled Egg for about 45 days around the first part of 2014.  They switched back quickly.  Still have customers wanting the plastic handles to match the shelves.

Plastic shelves are much more expensive than the wood option. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Those who are not industry insiders wouldn't know that the stainless hardware is not necessarily better. The metal parts of a kamado cooker must expand and contract repeatedly with the cooker. Different metals have differing properties. Looks should not be the first consideration when developing integral parts of a cooker. There is no cooker I am aware of with more option/ gadgets than the egg either by BGE or other outside vendors. Everyone else is obviously copying and tweaking items that have been used by eggheads for years. Doesn't make them real trailblazers. The Chinese have been using this rip off strategy for years. To each there own.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Yeah. What Pete said.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Gogogordy‌ I call it a dead horse as it seems someone brings it up every week.
    What if a new person looking into a egg sees this? Do you think it's fair to bge as they host this forum.
    I understand everyone has there opinion and free to choose whatever cooker they want but the fact remains we all still chose a bge over the joe.

So my point is I don't care if they were giving Joe's away I will pass. And we can compare the Joe Jr all we want to the mini max but when the max is released I would be willing to bet it will outsell a job 3 to 1 even if it came with nothing.

Always remember one can never have to many eggs. :D

Clinton, Iowa
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That slide out ash trash and flexible grid system is pretty sweet. If you topped the grill with a lifetime warranty I'd buy for sure.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    So i guess you are getting one?  They do have a lifetime warranty... :D
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    @Gogogordy‌ I call it a dead horse as it seems someone brings it up every week. What if a new person looking into a egg sees this? Do you think it's fair to bge as they host this forum. I understand everyone has there opinion and free to choose whatever cooker they want but the fact remains we all still chose a bge over the joe. So my point is I don't care if they were giving Joe's away I will pass. And we can compare the Joe Jr all we want to the mini max but when the max is released I would be willing to bet it will outsell a job 3 to 1 even if it came with nothing. Always remember one can never have to many eggs. :D

A forum is a place to exchange ideas, and discuss trends and new developments regardless of who hosts it....otherwise its just a commercial. A cheerleading section. Not truly a forum. Im pretty certain we havent ALL chosen BGE over Joe, many of us are serial owners who enjoy using the products from several manufacturers....whichever fits our needs and budget best. Myself included. Apparently many BGE fans are also waking up to other manufacturers and at least taking notice of their products or these threads wouldn't keep appearing. Partially in the absence of the MiniMax which has yet to materialize while theres a viable (and quite nicely built/equipped/warranteed/priced) alternative in it. (Or, is the MiniMax an alternative to the Joe Jr? After all it IS here and has a legion of fans already using it) You have no basis to claim the Minimax will outsell the Jr, in fact they will have to sell an equal amount of them to the all the Jr that have already been sold first to make a one for one status...and of course more get purchased daily. Without reliable sales figures which we arent privvy to at the moment it's X amount of Jrs in-use vs. 0 Minimaxs and that gap gets larger daily. Im not saying I dont love my BGE or that they are inferior to to KJ or others. Everyone has the right to be loyal to a brand for whatever reasons, real or perceived but that shouldnt limit a "forum" to discussions centric to just one product whether sponsored or not. If it did, the breadth of information and ideas would be much narrower and not really as useful.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

0, luckily this forum only makes you read the threads you click, do if you don't click you don't have to read it. Pretty cool, eh? :))
  • Lit
    Options
    Companies pay alot of money for the kind of market feedback provided in these threads. Think of how much money BGE is losing by not offering a raised direct cooking accessory that is worth using.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Lit said:
    Companies pay alot of money for the kind of market feedback provided in these threads. Think of how much money BGE is losing by not offering a raised direct cooking accessory that is worth using.

Exactly this ^^^^
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Those who are not industry insiders wouldn't know that the stainless hardware is not necessarily better. The metal parts of a kamado cooker must expand and contract repeatedly with the cooker. Different metals have differing properties. Looks should not be the first consideration when developing integral parts of a cooker. There is no cooker I am aware of with more option/ gadgets than the egg either by BGE or other outside vendors. Everyone else is obviously copying and tweaking items that have been used by eggheads for years. Doesn't make them real trailblazers. The Chinese have been using this rip off strategy for years. To each there own.
    Does this look familiar? Any complaint that KJ is ripping off the BGE design is supremely ironic. Only thing BGE improved upon when they released their unit was to use ceramic.
    Gittin' there...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Call a spade a spade. Yes I love my mini but when I Boughy it

$400 mini only basically not usable
    Stand $50
    Woo (must have ) $50
    Stones $30

I love my mini....
    But who is the ridiculous one when a competitor comes out with that nice offering?
    We will find out in time.

If the Joe Jr was next to it may have bought it. Then bge loses out on my large purchase $1k+ , CGS $400+ etc....
    Seattle, WA
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Does this look familiar? Any complaint that KJ is ripping off the BGE design is supremely ironic. Only thing BGE improved upon when they released their unit was to use ceramic.

I remember seeing that as the first Kamado Id ever seen. Had a friend with onna them back in the very early '80's.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    This thread won't bump... :))

Seattle, WA
  • bcsnave
    Options
    Yeah. What Pete said.

yeah what "badinfluence" said that "pete" said...the Asian manufacturing is blatantly infringing on patents.. 

Glenbeulah, WI

• Gogogordy
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    Yeah. What Pete said.

yeah what "badinfluence" said that "pete" said...the Asian manufacturing is blatantly infringing on patents.. 

LMAO.