Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook

Comments

• awesome job. great to have you onboard. you will fit in just fine around here. fun place to hang and a great place to learn.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • forgive me if someone already mentioned this but I assume you like your eyebrows and arm hair and this cook was a perfect scenario for what we call a flashback. A flashback occurs when you are cooking at higher heat but your egg is starving for fuel. This can happen when you are going full nuke (where it can never get enough) or when you overshoot a little and start to choke down the fire. If you throw the lid open quickly it can make one hell of a show and you will end up ass-over-elbows wondering what that WHOOOSH sound was. Nobody that I know of has been injured by this but I know plenty of people (including me) that have ended up on the ground with a singed arm and injured pride (and a prime filet in the bushes but they never knew about that part- their fault for making me put it back on after the egg was shut down get it to well done) but it will scare the hell out of you and it will singe your hair if you are too close. Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • TifffanyD
    TifffanyD Posts: 119
    SmokeyPitt - tomorrow!!! :) Do I need to do raised direct for t? I told my other half to drink 3 cans of beer but problem is he labels are stickers :/
  • TifffanyD said:
    SmokeyPitt - tomorrow!!! :) Do I need to do raised direct for t? I told my other half to drink 3 cans of beer but problem is he labels are stickers :/

so let me get this straight- You won an egg, put it together yourself, MacGuyvered the broken bolts and reassembled it, joined the forum, cooked on it the day you got it AND told your fella to pound 3 beers so you could cook on it tomorrow? If it does not work out between you two, Message me :x
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    TifffanyD said:

What kind of canned beer has stickers on it?
    NOLA
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Great job!  Look at how white the inside of your egg is.  Take a picture as it won't look that way for long.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    TifffanyD said:
    This kind

Interesting...
    NOLA
  • TifffanyD
    Cen-Tex ... I *know* this yet I don't remember to do it!! How do you combat reflex memory and make yourself burp the egg?
  • TifffanyD said:
    Cen-Tex ... I *know* this yet I don't remember to do it!! How do you combat reflex memory and make yourself burp the egg?

the egg has a way of reminding you. It usually only takes once :)
  • TifffanyD

Trying to avoid that though :)

• TifffanyD
    Huh I posted another reply but it said it had to be approved.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Just for info- no need for the beer cans for spatchcock chicken- just cut out the backbone and lay flat. There are youtube videos on how to do- or even easier the butcher will do for you when you buy them. By far the best way to cook a chicken- you will love it.
    Greensboro, NC
  • TifffanyD
    Well I have the chicken already and am set on doing it myself! So I don't need to raise it? Just 350 for 1 hour? Great!
  • TifffanyD said:
    Huh I posted another reply but it said it had to be approved.

that happens when you reply too many times to one post. it will never be approved- it just goes off into the ether. just copy whatever you were responding too and then paste and reply under that. one of the many weird parts of how this place is run
  • Wolfpack
    Sorry I misunderstood- the beer cans are to raise the grid and not for beer can chicken. Carry on.
    Greensboro, NC
  • TifffanyD

OK I give up. I keep getting the approved thing.

Cen-Tex - you got it mostly right but I got the egg Wed and then put it together and cooked today :)

And thanks for the intel on the lost posts.

Wolfpack - So do I need to raise the grid?

• Wolfpack
    Yes spatchcock needs to be done raised or indirect
    Greensboro, NC
  • TifffanyD
    OK so the H needs to get to drank'ing.
  • Wolfpack
    Or find a few bricks
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    But I'll take the drinks every time
    Greensboro, NC
  • TifffanyD
    It needs to be firebricks? Not just regular bricks?
  • Wolfpack
    Plenty of people have used regular bricks- if you ever get the urge check out ceramic grill store. They have a woo that can help you do low, high and wok cooks
    Greensboro, NC
  • TifffanyD
    That is something I expect to understand later :)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @‌TiffanyD
    I'm not usually one to concern myself with safety at all. But seeing how you are a young woman a word of caution is warranted here. You can get by with using regular bricks for low heat cooks. However when you really start ramping up on the heat you run the risk of them exploding and sending fragments flying. If you were a man I would not bother to mention this. But I feel that you being a young lady that you should at least be made aware of the looming danger of using regular bricks. If you choose to use regular bricks please be very careful my friend. The danger of them exploding is very real. I know this to be absolute fact and not sentiment. Proceed with caution young lady.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:
    @‌TiffanyD I'm not usually one to concern myself with safety at all. But seeing how you are a young woman a word of caution is warranted here. You can get by with using regular bricks for low heat cooks. However when you really start ramping up on the heat you run the risk of them exploding and sending fragments flying. If you were a man I would not bother to mention this. But I feel that you being a young lady that you should at least be made aware of the looming danger of using regular bricks. If you choose to use regular bricks please be very careful my friend. The danger of them exploding is very real. I know this to be absolute fact and not sentiment. Proceed with caution young lady.

that might be the most sexist thing I've read on here ever...jesus. We will hug it out in a few weeks but damn dude.
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    I do have my soft moments brother Tex. Just not very often ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    In all seriousness brother Tex she seems like a very nice young lady. I would feel bad if she got injured and I had not at least tried to warn her of the known risk. That would be wrong on my part. Now she knows and can proceed at her own peril. Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks brother Tex.

Status- Standing by.

• TifffanyD
    Hah! So basically I should just buy a platesetter now since I will definitely want one later. Why is that not included? :)
  • Wolfpack
    @sgh I agree but at 350-400 for spatchcock there won't be an issue. As for the plate setter- check out the adjustable rig- slightly more than a plate setter but infinitely more capable. Ask around the forum- people that have them love them
    Greensboro, NC