Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does a prime rib roast stall like pork butt?

Cooking a prime rib tomorrow. I want to slow cook over smoke at 225'ish and then sear to finish. For a 5-6 lb roast, how long should I plan for the slow cook phase to last? Do rib roasts stall like pork butts?
Winnipeg, Canada

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited August 2014
    Rib roasts do not stall since you're target temperature is going to be about 130, even less if you plan on searing. I would guess that at 225 to 250 you'll be looking at about 2 hrs. But remember, cook to temperature not time.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Here's a link that will give you all you need to know about rib roast cooks-http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html Check the remainder of his site-a wealth of knowledge!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Rib roasts don't stall like a butt because you don't cook it to nearly as high of a temp (hopefully!).  It's just a rule of thumb but I believe at 225-250 you are looking at roughly 30 minutes per lb to get to about 120 degrees for medium rare.  Good luck- you are in for a treat!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @kthacher‌
    If you are cooking it to rare or a medium rare you will not have any issue at all. The "stall" if you will can not occur until internal connective tissue and adipose start to break down and render away. The internal temp rise is "stalled" for lack of a better word by this evaporation. This will be of no concern on a small parted primal that you are cooking to less than the break down point. But just a point of reference any big mass of meat can and will stall when trying to render all the adipose and connective tissue down to the point of the given muscle freeing up or turning loose. This is just my thoughts and findings. Others may can elaborate more on this matter. Again you will not experience any stall if you stay to the south side of medium rare. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GoHorns
    GoHorns Posts: 22
    Great info, I was wondering the same thing myself.  Also, kudos to SGH for using the word adipose!

Deep In The Heart of Texas...A State of Mine....

• SGH
    @GoHorns‌
    Thank you my friend. But just for the record I made that word up. It's not even a real word. ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @GoHorns‌
    That was a attempt at humor above my friend. Adipose is certainly real and a real pain at times. Just wanted to clarify that I was joking.

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Get u a high heat going sear on all sides then Cook indirect at 300 r so until desired internal temp works good for me