Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Brined Bird and Meatloaf-A Sunday Dinner to remember!

Options

This past Sunday I decided to cook a feast for the family, a beer brined bird (not beer can, brined in beer) and a Meatloaf. Bird was brined in a mix of lager beer, water, salt and sugar overnight. The meatloaf recipe was borrowed from posts on the Forum. I wrapped the Meatloaf in bacon, sprinkled with Arizona Dreaming spice from Penzy's. After one and a half hours the bird came off...I was a little worried cause it was at 180 degrees and looked almost overdone. But I wrapped it in parchment paper and foil, dropped it in the cooler and proceeded with the Meatloaf ( I have a medium, so have to do one at a time). It too went for an hour and a half, pulled at 180 temp. Both were indirect heat, Bird was legs down and Meatloaf legs up. Dome temperature was 350 for Meatloaf, 400 for chicken. Next time I am taking the dome temperature down to 350 for the bird also.

No basting of the bird, Meatloaf was basted with a ketchup/vinegar/brown sugar mix every half hour.

The pictures show the before and afters, sorry but I didn't post any plated ones since I had a few cocktails at that time and well...that just never happened!

The Bird recipe was from, of all places, the Big Green Egg cookbook. Even with it  appearing to be overdone it was real juicy, I think the foiling may have saved it...I tip I learned from this forum. Next time I am going to have to watch the temperature a little more closely.

Thanks much to all who helped me by providing tips, guidance and hours of entertainment. I have only had my Egg since March and already have blown through three bags of charcoal. And to think the dealer said one would last all summer? HA!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.

Comments

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Oh, and the dog couldn't wait to get into the house to help eat it all!

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • sean4185
    Options
    That sounds really good; think I'm going to try that this weekend but using bone in chicken breast or a cut up fryer.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me. Excellent job my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I couldn't have done it without all the tips and recipes on this site. Next up, maybe a pork butt for the weekend???

"

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @evie1370‌
    Looking forward to seeing your butt. Standing by patiently my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I did my first meatloaf on the egg recently. I love it and will definitely be making another soon. Great cook
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.