Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Dust or John Henry's Rub Boston Butt???

dobbimo
dobbimo Posts: 4
I am planning on cooking a butt overnight, and thought I would ask for suggestions on whether to use Dizzy Dust or John Henry's Pecan or Butt rub.  Any suggestions?  I have done several with the butt rub and dizzy dust but haven't with the pecan.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And hey it's football season!!!

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I like dizzy dust and Butt rub, never used John Henry's. It's pretty hard to screw up a butt so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Give the John Henry's a try I think it's good. However you can't go wrong with the other two because they are good as well.
    Durham, NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Cook two butts, one with Dizzy and one with John Henry's! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A couple of years ago, I bought a bunch of John Henry's. At the time, people were going nuts about the Pecan rub. Myself, after trying it, I wondered why not just use pecan wood for smoke.

Unfortunately, I don't recall which of the other ones I thought was really good for butts. Maybe Texas Hog rub. Whatever it was, it gave Dizzy Dust a run for the money.

As a BTW, I thought the Texas Chicken Tickler was dandy.
  • Grillin_beers
    Quick question do you have any of the DP Swamp Vennom? Sometimes I like to rub my down with Dizzy Dust then give a sprinkling of Swamp Venom all around. It adds a little heat without it being too hot for most people. That could be a fun way to switch things up!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I do the exact same thing. About 65% DD to 35% SV.  My wife won't stand hotter, and I won't stand milder.
  • dobbimo
    dobbimo Posts: 4
    I don't have swamp venom or I would definitely try that. Thanks for the comments thus far.

• Grillin_beers
    @gdenby I would inverse that number if my wife would let me. Unfortunately she doesn't like it as hot as I do. I do about 65 35 too.