Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New owner here- What to cook first??

Options
2»

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you are getting and egg from the Eggfest, I would think it is seasoned and ready to go over 400•. I guess I missed that. I would ask your dealer, but I say go for it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    I would certainly think so. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    The egg and Eggcessories you bought with it are a perfect choice. You have all the essentials and the stuff that allows you flexibility and tools to make the perfect cook. I bought a bunch of crap I never use. I really only use the stuff you bought plus the extended grate.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    I am a brand new owner too. First cook will be this Sunday. I did decide to 'dry burn' last night to see how the temp acts and get rid of that 'new smell' :)
  • KentuckyBoy
    Options
    What ever you decide to go with, as a newbie myself I wish I had known to calibrate my thermometer first. I did a pork shoulder my first weekend and a brisket the next. My 8 pound pork shoulder fully cooked in 6 hours and the 11 pound brisket was done in 8 hours. After watching a YouTube video on calibrating my thermometer, I found mine was reading 30 degrees cooler that it should.
  • TheDudesBrew
    Options
    So I couldn't wait until the weekend and ended up cooking a bbq pizza since I had all the ingredients the house. Cooked it at 550. Hoping since the egg was used at eggfest, I didn't ruin the gasket. I forgot to take pics of the process, but I managed to get one of my dog eyeing my dinner. It turned out very good. I did have some issues getting it starter. Kept getting white smoke. I eventually added some fresh charcoal and it finally got going. Sounds like I may need to confirm my thermometer is calibrated.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Looks pretty good! Good luck with the low and slow this weekend! Did the dog get any?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • TheDudesBrew
    Options
    No she didn't, but she came very close though.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I'm impressed, I've had mine 6 months and haven't even tried pizza yet. Looks good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.