Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I guess I cheat on pizza

I guess I'm cheating we always use store bought crust, but our pizzas turn out really good.Hope I take the time to learn how to do home made crust one day.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Once you make your own dough you'll wonder why ya didn't do it sooner. Good looking pie B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Looks fine to me. Sometimes I can t be bothered to start dough right from scratch. bought dough either fresh or frozen isn't a crime. Does homemade taste better> It can once the trial and error is done to find your likes and preferences.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Its really simple to make your own, and works well if you make it in advance and let it ferment in the fridge for a day.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191

We have always used carefully selected store-bought crusts when cooking in volume (family reunions, neighborhood, etc) just to avoid the endless rolling-out. For smaller cooks I have always bought dough balls from the local pizza place and roll them out myself, but I recently found that for an extra dollar that same pizza place will roll them out for me, put them on parchment or a cooking shell, and stack them in a pizza box. So for $2, I can get a 14 inch fresh unbaked pizza crust that's already risen and been "aged/fermented", on parchment, ready to top and cook.

The cooking shells that they use for their take n' bake pizza are mildly annoying in that they change the cooking paradigm. I'd rather they used parchment. If they put it on a shell for me instead, I get around it by going ahead and topping it and start the cook until the pizza is firm enough to slide off the shell and onto the corn-mealed stone.

I usually keep a few frozen dough balls, and a few rolled-out uncooked crusts if I have room, in the freezer all the times.

There are lots of ways to cook pizza. The fact that there are so many certainly indicates that there is no one "right way" to do it.