Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket price survey

Options

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    @DMW‌ I'm feeling the same way. Just remember it takes more skill getting a crappy piece of meat to taste as good as a prime grade cut ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    @CarolinaQ - where are you in CT - we're in Wilton.  I've gotten CAB whole packers at the grocery store - just ask.
  • Yambor44
    Options
    Just bought these in North/Central Florida at Walmart.

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Six months ago I was paying $3.50/lb in Southern Ontario for AA. Now it has shot up to $5.00/lb for AA. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Brisket prices have been bouncing all over the place down here. Saw prime at HEB for 6+ and about the same price at Costco. No prime at SAMs but under the cost cost for ground chuck at HEB
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It's $3.59/pound where I'm at in KC, pork butts were $2.89/pound and baby backs are $3.99/pound. I bought a 2 packer of pork butts to cook on Saturday. Almost grabbed a brisket for the freezer, but the back up freezer keeps icing up. Needs replaced, but don't have the money right now.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    My price is the same as the other texas boys.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I'm in the Bay Area of No. California and I picked up an Excel Meats USDA Select flat at Safeway for $7.99 lb. I can find them a little cheaper at a couple of other butcher shops, but these are convenient.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    Regular Costco's in So Cal only sells flats at 6.99lb but Costco Biz has choice packers at 3.49lb
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I just bought a fresh Choice Packer in Naperville, IL for $6.69 per lb,
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    yzzi said:
    @DMW‌ I'm feeling the same way. Just remember it takes more skill getting a crappy piece of meat to taste as good as a prime grade cut ;-)
    Meh.  I don't care what it is, give it to me and I'll cook the **** out of it.   My choice tastes like prime and my prime tastes like Wagyu.   :P

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Just came from SAMs 6.99 and Mariano's 9.99...gurnee Illinois..
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @DMW‌ I was at Costco today and was thinking about you when I saw the price on their PRIME briskets. :)image
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I need to move.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Thanks to all for participating in this survey! My original intent was to create a spread sheet etc, but as I recorded the responses it became clear that when you throw out the few high and low exceptions then most eggers are buying their briskets at the big discount stores of Costco, WalMart and Sam's and the usual or average price range from 3.59 to 3.99 for packers. There were not that many responses addressing partials but it appeared flats were averaging about $7 or $8. Thanks again!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bf1644
    bf1644 Posts: 12
    Options
    I,m kinda new to this. What is the difference between a flat and a packer
    Clearwater Fl
    LGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    $4 for prime today. select and choice were basically the same price at this store
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    3.50 at SAMs. 1.98 at Walmart. Irving tx choice packers
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @bf1644 A packer is a flat with the point still attached. 
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @RRP- enlightening to read the posts and locations and see what is happening around the BGE brisket world.  Great post topic-Clearly the Texas universe has a monopoly on price but it is not as dominant as I would have thought.  
    And I will put in another shameless plug for the Costco prime packers-about the best deal going for an excellent cut of brisket, at least in this part of the country.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Ron,

Long time lurker here. Might as well jump in now.

Choice was $3.59 lb yesterday at Restaurant Depot in Tampa...

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great topic. Interesting to see how prices vary - but they are the exceptions. Big box store prices seem to be in the $4-$5 range for a packer. $6-$7 range for a flat.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Downtown Seattle.
    FLAT $7.99 LB yikes.
    Bought packer CAB $3.24 lb, new item at the cash and carry.
    Local store trimmed packer $4.99 lb
    Seattle, WA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I almost bought a full packer brisket at HEB for $17 today.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @travisstrick-go ahead and just rub it in even more.  Better to be lucky than good any day! :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Its hard to buy a pack of lunch meat for much less than $17. Brisket is one of the few things my wife, son and I all agree on.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You have found the promised land with brisket and the family in Texas.  What a lead-in to "time for another brisket cook." I have to temper my enthusiasm (definitely driven by the variables that influence the end-result) for cooking that hunk of beef with the reality that once every 4-5 weeks is about as good as it can get.  Still no complaints.  Enjoy that special lunch meat cook :)>-
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    RLS said:
    Ron,

Long time lurker here. Might as well jump in now.

Choice was $3.59 lb yesterday at Restaurant Depot in Tampa...

Rick
    That's in the same range as our Restaurant Depot in Philadelphia.  It gets cheaper by the case, but that's a lot of meat (not sure how many in a case but probably 5 or more).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    Shiff,

If memory serves me correct, 6 per case was $3.29 lb.

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • LeggoMyEgg0
    Options
    Connecticut butcher shop, charged me $6.99/lb for a choice packer from a premium supplier.