Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

installing bge on a boat

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
have any of you had the pleasure of marring two of your greatest pleasures bge and sailing some tips would be handy for I'm at the alter

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    nic smithson,[p]Just a word of caution, not trying to break up any marriage at all. BUT, my folks have a boat at a marina in Florida and the marina strictly prohibits any type of charcoal grill on a boat or dock area due to the fire factor. They will allow propane but no charcoal. So, before you tie the knot for the boat, check with the marina, if you keep your boat at a marina. And, if you already have not done so. If so, and all is well, I can just hear Jimmy Buffet now, Cheeseburger in Paradise, wafting through the air along with the sweet smell of some 1 1/2 inch ribeyes cooking on the egg. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • sprinter, prior posters have warned that few insurance companies will permit charcoal on boats, so regardless of where you dock that becomes the bigger issue.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Good point. I'm just going by what my dad told me and I guess I "assumed" that it was the dock or marina that was making the rule. The Insurance Company makes more sense. We also have (had) a houseboat at KY lake and the dock burned about 3 years ago, about 100 feet of docks (20 slips) and 20 boats went down. Several boats actually had their propane tanks ignite and get thrown off the boat ONTO another boat and that started that boat on fire. So, propane is not much safer IN a fire. Much less chance of STARTING a fire I guess.[p]Troy
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    nic smithson, about the best you can do is to carry a mini-egg along with charcoal that can be carried off the boat to a spot on the land where you can cook and then return the cooled egg to the boat. You do not want to (well actually you may want to, but you shouldn't) try cooking on the boat with an egg. It's just an accident waiting to happen. But good luck, sailing is one of my favorite activities as well.

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    nic smithson,[p]On a vacation over the 4th of July in Gulf Shores, Alabama, we were walking along the docks of a marina and low and behold a medium Egg was in a stand bolted to the floor. I don't know if I'd personally risk it but it sure would be nice to reel in a catch and throw it right on the Egg.[p]AndyR
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    nic smithson,
    If I were to install one on a boat I would rig a gimbal to house it. That way it would always remain level and plumb.