Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket price survey

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
I know we live all over the country and some of us are closer to cattle production, farming etc, but with the way beef prices have gone up recently what are you now paying for briskets and please state where you are buying them...butcher shop, big discount stores like Costco or SAMs, grocery store, local meat packer etc. Thanks in advance! I hope this thread might help many of us here. OK?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    here is MI crooked letter crooked letter I crooked letter crooked letter IPPI at Sams a 11.5 LB is 42 Bucks :)
    Brandon, MS
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'm in Cincinnati.  Was buying them at my local neighborhood butcher and was paying $7.99/lb for a flat. 
    I've recently found full packers at my local GFS store for $3.89/lb.  Same exact grade, packaging, and labeling.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    choice flats $7.99-5.99
    packers 5.99-3.99
    rib eyes 12.99-11.99
    Tidewater Area at Harris Teeter - Walmart.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Jackson , Miss. Packer , 3.49 lb for choice
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Flats ate always going to be higher but I though 6.49 here in ABQ was bad. About the same price for packers here
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Crappy brisket selection here in Pork country - central NC. I can find small flats for $7.99/lb.

Pork shoulders were $1.80 per pound at Harris Teeter last weekend.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Costco in ATL a couple of weeks ago, a flat was $8.99 lb. that is all they had.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    3.99 lb for prime packers at Costco. 4.99 lb for CAB choice packers at my local meat supplier.
    XL BGE
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited August 2014
    mslaw said:
    I'm here is Brandon MS....where are you getting them at for 3.49?

well if I did the math then I wold know! :) that's about what Sams has them for.
    Brandon, MS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    CAB flats at Kroger are $5.99/lb and have been there for better than six months.  Prime packer briskets (Costco) have gone from $2.99/lb in Feb to $ 4.15/lb in early Aug.  I'm sure the prime packer price is still moving just that I don't have a target right now.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Choice packers were $3.98 for about two weeks. Back down to the normal $1.98 at HEB in Central Texas.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Orlando, FL .. $3.49/lb for Excel Choice Packer at Wal*Mart, $3.29 at Restaurant Depot
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I bought a 14lb choice packer today at Walmart. Regular price was $50. I got it for $35.00 because it was 2 days from the best by date.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @travisstrick I hate you and your cheap brisket.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Austin Tx Costco was 3.89 for a prime packer. I can still get a choice at Walmart for around 2.50. My HEB is not as cheap as Travis's store for some reason.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DMW
    @Terrebandit‌ FWIW I hate you to. I can't find any Prime brisket here in PA. I would gladly pay $3.89/# for a prime brisket.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I paid right at $6.00 lb. last month at a local butcher shop.

Beef prices are predicted to continually rise. Beef supply is the lowest since around 1950, plus a lot of ranchers are trying to increase their beef supply by keeping more cattle as breeding stock. If I had freezer space, I would buy half of a grass finished beef for $5.30lb. packaged from a local rancher.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    edited August 2014
    Just picked one up @ my local Wal-Mart. This holiday weekend will by my 1st attempt at a brisket! $3.50 a pound for Select packer.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    7.99-9.99 in central IN

LBGE

BTFU!

• Prime Grade Packard at Sam's was $3.69 per pound.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    $3.89# for Prime CAB.  Katy, Texas
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    @cazzy Yep, hate you too.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    7.99-10.99 in Nebraska for flats. 3.99 for packers at wally world. Can't believe how high the cost has become for a cut of meat that takes so much work. Pork has gone through the roof as well. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Central Indiana

Sam's

Packer - $3.50/lb
    Flat - $6.99l/b
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I paid 7.99/lb for my last brisket, but it's a local butcher and you only pay for what you take out the door.  I don't trim it down too much but anyone who really whitles it down would get a lot of value in that.
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241

mslaw said:

I'm here is Brandon MS....where are you getting them at for 3.49?

well if I did the math then I wold know! :) that's about what Sams has them for.

Kroger in bryam
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    In Philly at a butcher, $3.29 untrimmed and $3.85 trimmed. I usually get untrimmed, but the butcher has a guy who worked at a kosher plant for years, and I ask him to trim it if he's working. I did the math the last time I got a untrimmed packer and determined the trimmed cost was fair.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Just paid $3.99 for a Angus packer at Restaurant Depot,lLong Island New York.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    In Knoxville GFS had choice packers for $3.99.  Grocery stores for choice IF you can find are in the $6 range.  Kroger had some select packers for $3.79 a few weeks ago.  Flats are mostly $7.99 which is steak range.  Needless to say my brisket cooking rate has gone down.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never seen a packer in CT. Small flats from time to time. No idea what they cost and I really don't care. Probably been 3-4 years since I had any. And that was a packer I bought in VA and cooler'd to CT where I egged it. Meh...

I know... I need butcher's paper! :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut