Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Springs on xl egg

Anyone ever fired it up and had the spring somehow dislodge itself from the hing and the connection so the egg opens? I was planning on cooking tonight, I can still raise enough to get in there, but how does one fix it? I'm at about 450 so manipulating it without burning the hands is difficult, but just let it cool down once the egg is cooled try to reconnect? Loosen the bands and try? Just seems odd that it just popped off. Thoughts, experiences, suggestions?
XLBGE
Rochester, NY - Now on the West Side

Comments

• Update. Got the spring on but it's a pain to open, only wants to go about 1/2 way unless I jerk it up. Bands somehow to tight and need to be realigned? Puzzled
    XLBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I don't understand from the description and the pics why it won't open.  The springs on my XL used to come off about half of the time I opened it to the point that I just stopped reconnecting them and ran for 3-4 months without them.  Someone pointed out to me that they're probably installed upside down - I pulled them off and flipped them and they have worked great ever since.  I never had a problem opening the egg though - it was just a bit heavier.
  • 1st pic is the spring I reattached. Is it upside down? 2nd is it opened. That's where it wants to stop. It looks misaligned. I mean if I out force it opens all the way but it wasn't like this last night. Trying to figure out if the bands may have slipped or what happened
    XLBGE
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Tikaanikaeda81   I had something similar happen on my large, not that the spring came off, but the lid seized up and didn't want to open. What had happened was a bolt that the hinge pivots on had tightened up. I loosened them up and it solved the problem. I would suggest you go out and loosen up all the bolts that have nylock nuts on them on the compound hinge. Good luck. I hope this solves your issue. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Your spring does look upside down. Here's the spring on mine: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I recall causing that same issue with the dome on my XL once when I was checking bolts and I thought I'd take up what I thought was a little play in the hinge pivots that td66snrf mentioned and I ended up making one hinge tighter than the other. Loosening it back slightly fixed the issue on mine.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA