Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Pig - to skin or not to skin?

Options
Hey guys,
I'm gonna smoke a 60# (hanging weight) pig this weekend, head and feet removed (not my choice).  I'm pretty clear on the set up & the spine removal, etc, but I had been planning on skinning it first (since the head is gone, presentation is out the window).  However, in my research on here noticed that no one was doing that.  I had assumed that the skin would only get properly crispy & delicious when roasting it, and that since I was smoking I would be better off skinning it first (and saving it for chicharrones or some such).  I could see the benefit of leaving the skin on for moisture retention, but I would think I'd lose the flavor from my rub & the smoke leaving it on.  Thoughts?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I wouldn't skin it. Never have. You will pick up more than enough season if prepped correctly. The skin is the magic material on swine. Just my thoughts my friend. But as with all things opinions vary.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've never done whole hog on the egg, but have on other smokers. The last one I did I didn't bother with rub at all. I just mixed some rub in with the meat when I pulled it. The cooker manufacturer recommend this as he said any rub I would have managed to toss in the cavity would simply run out during the first hour or so of smoking. The skin actually did get nice and crispy and was a nice treat for those that appreciated snacking on it. I would think the reflective heat from the ceramics of the egg dome would only help with the skin.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    The way you have to ball up a WH on the the egg I think you can better depend on the bones and toss the skin. Though I'm not thinking clearly right now, I have done the WH on my egg, about a year ago and the two parts I didn't like were lack of exposed seasoning and leathery skin. Unless you were to tell me tomorrow that your pig turned out ****, I will def skin my next BGE WH. #jussayin Can't wait to see it either way!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Or just foil to the end and bump the temp lol,IDK!
  • SGH
    Options
    If I missed it then I apoligize in advance, but what are you cooking it on if I may ask?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    60lb hog with the head and feet removed on a egg? Unless you have a xxl good luck and even with a xxl still don't know if it will fit.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Oh and don't skin it
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've not done one, but I wouldn't skin it. It protects the back and if done right the skin will come out crisp like candy and you can eat it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Mine was 42# all intact and I had plenty of room on the XL, def could have gone bigger, I just don't know how much bigger.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156288/42-piggy-on-xlbge-pics-as-i-go/p1
  • AlliePeanut
    Options
    I'm only working with a Large - my original plan was to cut it in half, remove the spine & smoke one side for Sunday's party & then cut the other side up into primals.  Was thinking that doing only half I'd be able to curl it up flat on top of my grate in the Large.  Galente, I thought the same thing about the last whole hog I ate: not enough seasoning & the skin didn't do it for me, so I'd thought I'd skin it & make cracklins in some duck fat.
    SGH, how do you prep yours?  I was going to do a dry cure overnight & then season it before I threw it on.  Although, after this discussion I'm tempted to do one side with the skin & one without & see what happens.  If you're pro-skin, do you score it at all?  And how much seasoning are you doing during the cook, if any?  Thanks for all the advice & links.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't skin it... http://vimeo.com/m/68061674

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options
    @AlliePeanut‌
    When you say prep I'm not sure if you are asking about seasoning or "laying" the hog out but here goes nonetheless. I cook all hogs on their back and splayed out and open. I cut down both sides of the spine where the ribs join with a breaking knife very carefully so I can lay him out "flat". As to the skin I spray the whole thing down with PAM cooking spray and then wipe it down with paper towels to remove any excess. I cut the membrane in the deltoid region also to help open up all the muscular heads for even cooking. As to the ribs if I'm cooking comps I will make a cut to create the coveted baby back ribs. If cooking for personal consumption or a charity event I do not take the trouble to make this cut as it's a real pain. But to do it simply measure 3-4 inches off of the spine and cut the ribs along this imaginary line. Meat quality is the same either way. Only the visual is lacking. The only down side to cooking them on their backs is loin protection is required to some degree. Short of this I find it to be the method of choice. And please note as well. I have never cooked a whole hog on the egg. I always cook very large hogs and cook them on a massive size smoker designed for that intended purpose. If you need farther clarification or assistance please ask my friend. Here is what I cook hogs on.

Status- Standing by.

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I don't see why you couldn't skin it and cook ribs loin shoulder and ham as one piece, use the skin the way you want. I honestly think it's an awesome outside the box idea, and I'm kinda jealous I didn't think of it lol. This years draft party is this Saturday, and if I hadn't already bought the meats and whatnot I would consider doing it your way. Don't get me wrong, it would be a roll of the dice as far as I know but would be a fun experiment. If you don't do it, I will next year lol.