Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Bark

I've been cooking on an XL egg for a couple of years now but never seem to get the results pictured here.
I cook mostly brisket or pork butts with a dry rub only, low and slow at about 230*, and rarely open the lid until the internal temp shows done. I prefer sliced so I usually take it off at about 185* or 190*. I use a DigiQ controller and the top vents are only about 1/8" open on the daisy wheel.
The finished meat tastes great and usually has a decent smoke ring but there is never any bark or what you would call "outside meat". I personally like the bark as a little chef's choice appetizer while I'm finishing the cooking and cleanup duties.
Any suggestions? Maybe bump the heat up for the last part of the cook??? If so, how hot and how long?

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Hey man, what kind of rub are you using?
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Has to be the rub as I cook mine at 230 and always have a good bark
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ive only cooked 1 butt that did not have bark, i lit the lump from the bottom and not the top for that cook and have no clue if that was why, i cook around 230 dome as well. i do add some sugar to most rubs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Need more sugar in your rub.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'll suggest a higher dome temperature for the whole duration. Baste w. a bit of honey or molasses towards the end.
  • The bark on my butts is from yellow mustard and a rub with a turbinado sugar.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I've always started my rub with the yellow mustard base that everyone seems to use here.
    Is that a requirement for bark?

I was just doing what I was told...  :\">
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I take Byron's butt rub or dizzy dust and cost it liberally. I don't use yellow mustard on mine. I cook it at 225-250 until it hits 200-203. I have a great bark.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Saw a post on another forum where they patted the brisket dry with paper towels, light sprinkle of baking soda (3 half pinches) on the top part of the brisket, applied light coat peanut oil and finally a light coating of molasses. Then apply your rub. The molasses helps caramelize the brisket and bark was fantastic.

I am going to give this a shot on my labor day cook and see how it turns out.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    KiterTodd said:
    I've always started my rub with the yellow mustard base that everyone seems to use here.
    Is that a requirement for bark?

I was just doing what I was told...  :\">
    Not a requirement as far as  I know. The mustard sauce just helps make a slurry that sticks the rub to the meat.  I use a light coat of peanut oil instead. The oil seems to both hold moisture in early on, and crisp the surface later.
  • KiterTodd
    Thanks, gdenby.  Next time I'll try skipping the 'tard.  It gets all over my hands anyway.  Oil seems easier and I've had no problem holding rubs on others things I grill.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Thanks for all the comments.
    I use a simple 50/50 (by weight) salt/pepper rub and everyone loves the taste. I haven't been using anything wet and don't care for the sugar in most commercial rubs.
    I think I'll try a light oil rub, then the s&p, and bump the temp to 300* the last hour.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Getting your cook higher in the dome will help a little and don't use any liquid in your drip pan if that is what you are doing now.
    As many others have said, try another rub with a higher sugar content.
    Good luck.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • When using the digiq are you using the ramp mode.  If so that is probably the problem.  I started off using ramp mode for the first several years never got a good bark.  Turned off the ramp mode and started getting bark. Maybe this helps maybe not.
    Camden, Tn
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    When using the digiq are you using the ramp mode.  If so that is probably the problem.  I started off using ramp mode for the first several years never got a good bark.  Turned off the ramp mode and started getting bark. Maybe this helps maybe not.
    That's an excellent point. The drop in temp towards the end of the cook where the bark normally gets good would be set in place by "Ramp Mode".
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    ditto the sugar content
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

Meathead has a good article over at amazingribs.  I don't think bark depends on the rub or surface treatment (but may be helped by it, if the higher sugar or salt content draws out moisture).  My guess is that the best bark forms after the evaporation has happened at the stall.  This would be when the Maillard reaction can occur.  Does the DigiQ speed up that last stage of cooking, after the stall?

We need to run some experiments, varying the lengths of pre-stall, stall, and post-stall cooking.

Or maybe one of the big guns here could just answer this riddle for kindergarten cooks like myself.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Thanks folks.
    Sugar is not an option. I don't like it and neither does the wife.
    I don't use the ramp function on the DigiQ.., Never have. Once the temp is stable the meat goes on. The egg never opens until the temp says it's done. That's why I got the egg.
    I hope adding a pre-rub wipedown with some olive or peanut oil, and bumping the last hour temp to 300* or even higher will help to get the bark I want.
    The flavor is great and the wife thinks I'm crazy. She doesn't want me to change anything. I simply want some bark for the chef!
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Sorry to disappoint but youll not get the bark your looking for without a little sugar to carmelize. At least thats been my experience.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• KiterTodd
    edited August 2014
    I'd try a little sugar...it doesn't make the meat sweet.  At least I don't think so.  I have tasted some rubs that have definite sugar flavor, but once I'm done smoking a brisket or butt, the bark just tastes like smokey charcoal goodness...with a little pork thrown in.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    are you foiling it at any point? that will compromise it as well.. bad byrons SALT rub (really salty but good on butts and mixes in really well) gives a good bark and i turbo my butts usually. Start at 280 and finish around 325 and it does them well with lots of bark and smoke flavor
    Beaufort, SC
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Dang all this talk made me hungry guess I'll have some left over brisket from yesterday that had a good bark on it. :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Bark every time, with temp steady, all over the place, turbo or low and slow. Rub typically dizzy dust (sugar) or a rub with turbinado sugar. As some said, no sweet taste really, just dark barky goodness!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • You don't need sugar to get good bark.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Oooooh! @bclarksicle‌ a challenge! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Here's my pic of barky goodness... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147503/butt-all-rubbed-hitting-the-egg-early#latest
  • I get good bark now and have never used sugar. I just mentioned the ramp mode because it was my problem. I rarely cook above 225. I don't take off till 200-205 degrees.
    Camden, Tn
  • Ha, not saying you can't get great bark with sugar, just that it's not required. Ever had a brisket from Franklins?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I use nothing but bad Byron's butt rub. I typically take it out of the cryovac package and cover it in bad Byron's then straight on the egg. And no matter what temp I get great bark. I do cook very high in the dome though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I quit using mustard. The rub seems to stick better, especially on brisket. I don't know about using oil. I've read where it can block the smoke but idk.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN