Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RAISED Direct Spatchcock Turkey

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
400 Raised Direct. image
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Everything is bigger in Texas - even the chickens!
    Nice looking bird, assume the usual Mickey's coffee rub?

(When I saw the first pic of the empty grid, I thought maybe Travis was visiting and you were not fast enough!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Yes on the coffee rub

• Mickey

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Well done I can't find turkeys around here, want to try and make good on my t day fail.
    Seattle, WA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Was the breast moist? What weight bird and how long on the cook, pull temp. Details man....
    Jacksonville FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Would also love some details!  (grill temp, cook time, any unique prep)

It looks great, though.  After a few spatchcock 4 lbs. chickens I was just thinking of doing a turkey some time.  It's got to be moist, though...try turkey won't fly no matter how crispy that darn skin is.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Mickey et al - Never cooked the neck before, and I've seen several posts now that show it being done.  I assume it's good or why would you cook it?  Taste like chicken?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mickey
    RedSkip said:
    @Mickey et al - Never cooked the neck before, and I've seen several posts now that show it being done.  I assume it's good or why would you cook it?  Taste like chicken?

Cooks food. That and the gizzard.

• Mickey
    @Dobie and @KiterTodd‌ 1.5 hrs + or - on time but cook to temp please. I cook at 400. Leave uncovered in fridge overnight.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Wow, how big was the bird?

That's awesome...a turkey in 90 minutes!

Moist?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Mickey
    KiterTodd said:

Wow, how big was the bird?

That's awesome...a turkey in 90 minutes!

Moist?

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    What did u use to cook the backbone out?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    grege345 said:

What did u use to cook the backbone out?

Knife

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    That ain't no fooling around. Very nice Mr. Mickey!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Great looking cook, Mickey.............as usual, you aced it!

^:)^
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks good, sir!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Mickey‌
    Looks like a home run to me! In a frenzy I would have devoured that neck before I got around to taking a pic!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ Looks like a home run to me! In a frenzy I would have devoured that neck before I got around to taking a pic!!!

Gizzard before and neck just after.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Mickey‌
    Absolutely. Those would have vanished instantly my friend! It's called cooks prerogative and I live by it!!!! I have been know to sneak a leg and wing as well if hunger is pressing. And it usually is! ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That was a good looking cook Mickey. I am sure it tasted great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Excellent. I wanna do one of these for Thanksgiving. @Mickey‌, does it have to be cooked that high in the dome or can spatchcock turkey cook at grate level?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    stemc33 said:
    Excellent. I wanna do one of these for Thanksgiving. @Mickey‌, does it have to be cooked that high in the dome or can spatchcock turkey cook at grate level?

No for THAT high. But I would raise if higher than grate level. 90% of mine are at the Adj Rig level, not like this and turn out fine.