Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Calling all Southerners or expat southerners. Whats your Iced Tea

Just looking to find an abundance of tea recipes, including old tricks, traditions etc.

What brand of tea bag or does it really matter? (that comment might be sacrilege to some)

Sweetened or unsweetened? Flavored or straight up?

Do you brew it strong then dilute with cold water? or brew the total pitcher?

Anything and everything is on the table.

Comments

• Gotta go with dandy don. image

Little Rock, AR

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Here's how we make it at home:  Take a pot of water and get it boiling.  Add two large Lipton tea bags and let it boil for 1 minute, then take the pot off the heat and let the tea bags steep for 10 more minutes.  Pour that into a pitcher with ice to help it cool down and dilute.  Serve.  

Most folks down here like their tea sweeter than Kool-aid but I'm a bit of an anomaly in that I like mine cold and unsweetened.  If you have fresh mint by all means add as a garnish as well as lemon.  Enjoy!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I love this tea! I buy several cases at a time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2014
    Never seen that before.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited August 2014
    Never seen that before.
    Not sold retail. This is the unsweetened kind and is very refreshing. Other flavors are available and the nice thing besides convenience is uniformity of taste bottle after bottle. BTW how's the noggin doing? Still sore? I'm still itching myself!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    My recipe is similar to @wbradking‌'s. The only difference is that I as a couple of tablespoons of sugar. Plus one on the mint though.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    wbradking said:

Most folks down here like their tea sweeter than Kool-aid but I'm a bit of an anomaly in that I like mine cold and unsweetened.  If you have fresh mint by all means add as a garnish as well as lemon.  Enjoy!

Plus one on cold and unsweetened. 
    NOLA
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Professional sweet tea drinker here. I use one large Lipton bag, the size made for doing a pitcher. Bring  a small boiler of water to boil, turn off fire, let bubbling stop. Put in bag and cover and let it sit for as long as you wish, sometimes its hours before I make it up. Put whatever sweetner you are going to use in the pitcher and pour the steeped water in, I even squeeze out the tea bag as well. fill pitcher rest of way and stir, refrigerate. IMP, use filtered water.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    sun tea - 1 gallon jar, several lipton or luzianne tea bags and 1 or 2 mint tea bags.  leave on deck for 30 min this time of year, an hour in spring/fall.  no sweetener.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    This is what I do for 1 gallon of tea

- Three family sized tea bags
    - 1.5 cups Dixie Crystal sugar
    - Filtered water

2QT Pot

Fill with filtered water

Bring to around 100°-110° (do not let go any higher)

Place 3 family sized tea bags in pot.  I turn the burner to it's lowest setting for a 10 min steep.  

Pour into pitcher with 1.5 cups Dixie Crystal Sugar

Pour water over teabags in pot.  Barely squeeze the bags (w/wooden spoon).  

Finish filling container with filtered water.  

Stir and enjoy or let set for a couple hours and it gets better! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Old fashioned tea makers like my grandma and great grandma would put a "pinch" of baking soda in it to make it a little stronger. Try it.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    What's with all the mint????  Save that for the Juleps.  Only thing that goes in true southern sweet tea is a lemon wedge.  @tarheelmatt has it right.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • @RRP man thanks for asking. Im well now. Just couple days and it cleared up. Hope yours quits itching soon.

Little Rock, AR

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Tell my wife to get in the kitchen and make the damn tea!
    Duncan, SC
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    The objective here is to not boil the bags or squeeze the bags a lot.  You will get bitter tea.  Steeping with the water at 100° for a period of time (now this gets crazy depending on who you talk to).  I have found 10 mins works for me.  Some do longer.  You have to adjust to your tastes.  

Per my "MOMMA", you have to use Dixie Crystal sugar!   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    @RRP that is the best post ever! Thank You! ^:)^ ^:)^
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    As made by all the great cooks in Yadkin County, North Carolina.

Ingredients:
    6 family-sized bags of Orange Pekoe tea
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 cups boiling water

Preparation:
    "You get a little porcelain pan and put in about 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil and remove from the heat. Stir in the sugar. Then throw in the tea bags and let sit until cool. Remove the tea bags. Pour the liquid into a glass container and add cold water to bring to a gallon." Serve in tall glasses over ice with a lemon wedge.

If the tea is cloudy, throw it away before anyone can see it and start over. This time, follow the instructions

Taken from "The Lexington Collection"

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Red Rose tea.

Boil 2 quarts of water and add 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar and a pinch of baking soda. The BS helps with any bitterness and clarity but does not add any flavor. Sugar amount is based on preference. Sometimes I'll even add 1.5 cups if I want it extra sweet.

You can also add the above to 1 quart of water to make a concentrate and add the rest at the end to cool it faster.

Oh yeah, only brew for up to 10 minutes.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    All these people boiling tea.  Lipton (of course) bags, water, jar, sun.......all you need.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
     i like the northern long island version my self, we dont drink that sweet tea up here

a jigger each of white spirits- vodka, gin, triplesec, rum, tequila,
    half jigger sour mix, splash of coke
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it