Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak for $4.99 a 17 lb bag

Options
Our local Hen House grocery store has RO for $4.99 a 17 lb bag. It's not my favorite, but for that price I can't pass it up. I don't mind using it when want a little more smokey flavor in my meat. If you in the KC area check it out. The discount is if you have their discount card.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    That is a great price. I started using RO a couple of years ago. Switched to Rockwood and will never look back.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Are they paying you that to use it? ;)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I thought I would get a bag to have on hand if I can't get Rockwood. I like Rockwood better, but for that price you can't beat it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    I tried Rockwood but didn't have the life changing experience everybody else does.  It seemed to burn through very quickly and created a lot of ash compared to the RO lump I use.  RO is easy to get, cooks well and suits my needs.  
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I tried Rockwood but didn't have the life changing experience everybody else does.  It seemed to burn through very quickly and created a lot of ash compared to the RO lump I use.  RO is easy to get, cooks well and suits my needs.  

I only use RO mainly because it is what my area has, but most people on on RW choad though.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I love my Royal Oak!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @MeTed I do too.  Honestly, I haven't tried anything that I didn't like yet.  However, I have only tried BGE branded stuff, RO, Cowboy, and Frontier.  I just get RO as it is at Wally World.  

I almost feel if RO was $1 per lb. or more, people would like it better...... 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Royal oak is fine. I bought 2 bags of Rockwood and gave one to a egghead friend to try and neither of us were impressed. Not sure what the big deal is but to each their own I guess. i am a fan of ozark oak though I have my parents pick me up whatever they can carry when they pass through Arkansas twice a year at $5 a bag. I am down under a 100 pounds of lump currently but th eKJ roadshow is at my local costco this weekend so I am going to stock up. Never tried it but heard goo dthings so will probably get 100-200 pounds.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @tarheelmatt, nice to know I am not the only one. But I will try OO and RW.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Lit said:
    Royal oak is fine. I bought 2 bags of Rockwood and gave one to a egghead friend to try and neither of us were impressed. Not sure what the big deal is but to each their own I guess. i am a fan of ozark oak though I have my parents pick me up whatever they can carry when they pass through Arkansas twice a year at $5 a bag. I am down under a 100 pounds of lump currently but th eKJ roadshow is at my local costco this weekend so I am going to stock up. Never tried it but heard goo dthings so will probably get 100-200 pounds.
    Watch the KJ lump. I'm told they have at least types. I have used the red bag twice and it's fantastic. Comes in 22# bags. I think the road shows are using different grade and bag color is different.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    MeTed said:
    @tarheelmatt, nice to know I am not the only one. But I will try OO and RW.
    @MeTed, I want to try both as well....  One day, @henapple will come to Thomasville, NC with some OO.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I think on the RO, it comes from different regions and would think that is the difference. I'm not sure where this is from yet tell I go to the store. Rockwood to me burns with less smoke and his good for baking or doing pizzas. I am going to try RO again and then maybe do a mixture of the two.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Our local Hen House grocery store has RO for $4.99 a 17 lb bag. It's not my favorite, but for that price I can't pass it up. I don't mind using it when want a little more smokey flavor in my meat. If you in the KC area check it out. The discount is if you have their discount card.
    That's a heck of a deal, but have you actually bought any? That sounds like the sale price that pops up occasionally but it is not lump,  it's briquetts.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Thanks @Photo_EGG I will watch for it. Might buy one bag as a tester then go back since I will now have a costco like 5 minutes from my house. What a great day no more 30 minute drives to costco.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    RRP said:
    That's a heck of a deal, but have you actually bought any? That sounds like the sale price that pops up occasionally but it is not lump,  it's briquetts.

You are correct. I should have checked the fine print, it is for briquette. Are they any good? I haven't used any briquettes in my egg at all and don't know if I want to start. Sorry for getting everyone worked up over it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I figured so...

Some people will use briquettes, but trouble is you don't want to use lighter fluid in your egg to get them going. Another issue is they create a lot of ash meaning possibly a clogged lower grate plus cleaning all that ash out of the tiny vent hole.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.