Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Cooking Myths...

UCFFAN
UCFFAN Posts: 38

So...I ran across this article (http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html) .... its an interesting read and being an old HVAC guy I understand the principals of thermal dynamics and this author is right on track when it comes to whether beer canning is truly effective. I've done a bunch of chickens and turkeys beer can and have always sworn by the technique. So I followed Meathead's recommendation and experimented with his process...

Two 5+ pound organic chickens....

Brined in 1.5 cups sea salt, 1/4 cup garlic power, about an hour & half.

(Always brine my turkeys, hardly ever brine my Chics)

Extra Large BGE

Mixture of 3 chunks Pecan/3 chunks Cherry (GOOOD Poultry Combo)

Egg is set with Plate Setter Up

Set my DigiQ @ 275

Use my Beer Can Sets to mount the chics (No cans)

Drip Pans flooded with Blue Moon

Rubbed the boogers with olive oil and my quick n easy rub inside and out. 

Theory: Moisture evaporating under the chickens versus the old method of trying to get the bear to evaporate inside the little critters gives it some benefit of the beer flavor. Under the traditional method of beer canning I never saw much of the beer evaporate. Under this method I used a full bottle of Blue Moon in the first hour. Once the beer evaporated the chics came up to 165 @ the breast fairly quickly....about 1.5 hours @ 275.

I wrap and throw um in the cooler for bout 15-20 mins to rest.

Simple Quick n Easy Rub:

3 parts Fresh Hungarian Paprika 

2 parts Chili Powder

2 parts Montreal Seasoning (Yup!) Like more heat add another.

1 part Garlic Powder

3-4 roasted garlic cloves in the cavities (If you like)

Chics came out perfect. Never told the Queen I change the beer can method.....she raved as usual.

Brined - Rubbed - Ready to go.....

Finished Products ready to go in the cooler....The Queen loves roasted beets...got some nice organic buggers...olive oil, salt and pepper. Leave in for the whole cook. Come out with a slight crunch with a nice mild smoke....

The Queen's Citrus & Cherrie Salad, beets, chics and a nice Pino Gris

Life is Good!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Has also been covered by The Naked Whiz and other sites. Not new info here. That's why most do spatchcock.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The chickens and all the grub look wonderful.  As a bonus test- next time try no beer in the drip pan.  Drink the beer, leave the drip pan dry.  You won't miss it ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    Your a mind reader SmokeyPitt! Doing butts tonight....went right on by the Blue Moon to my Friend Tito, Dirty with three Blue Cheese olives....Life is Good
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks great
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @UCFFAN‌ Looks crazy good! :-bd
    But, all this talk of thermal dynamics makes me wonder what value would I shoot for in superheat and would I first determine subcool by taking a temp of the beer? >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    There's a lot of new members on the forum recently so that's good info for them. Like Griffin said, that's why I only do spatchcock when cooking full chicken (or double bone in breasts).

Good write up and good looking pics! Keep it up =D>