Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SGH - absolutely

Options
    This sounds like a blast... If I hadn't just blown a ton of PTO crapping my brains out, I'd try to make it.

I see epic posts in the future.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    If I have any vacation time I have not used cause of the shoulder injury then we may be there for the class. We shall see.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I wouldnt mind seeing how centex does it. I normally just get as hammered as a human can get and pass out just after the meat goes on the fire. Luckily for me, it usually is pretty darn good. My family (in laws) are having a reunion next weekend. They all own huge trailer smokers and most are at least 4th or 5th generation Texans. They all do brisket all the time but they asked me to cook the brisket and ribs for the 60 or 70 folks that will attend. I'm flattered and nervous at the same time. These are people who know what it's supposed to taste like.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @travisstrick‌
    I'm looking forward to watching brother Tex as well. Very interested in his thoughts and techniques. He seems to be very accomplished in this arena.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    @travisstrick‌
    Follow the force...

Just do what you've done in the past and you should be fine.

Should be easy to pick up a bunch of cheap crockpots
    ;)
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I can't bring an Egg on a plane but I'd consider coming down. Any date set?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @travisstrick‌ I'm looking forward to watching brother Tex as well. Very interested in his thoughts and techniques. He seems to be very accomplished in this arena.
    I actually do it just like Travis. Seems to turn out ok for me most of the time. Been in a slump lately though so we will see. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    For those who are recent forum participants, even though @travisstrick and the  "How I do it" post is on the way to record views, he has moved on to the more conventional brisket cook methods  and routinely wins brisket cook comps.  FYI- I'm sure that is the driver behind his above cook happening.  And yes it is a tall order for a squid to say something good about a ground-pounder but sometimes you just have to set the record straight and allow the C2H5OH to flow!  Looking for low earth orbit tonight :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For those who are recent forum participants, even though @travisstrick and the  "How I do it" post is on the way to record views, he has moved on to the more conventional brisket cook methods  and routinely wins brisket cook comps.  FYI- I'm sure that is the driver behind his above cook happening.  And yes it is a tall order for a squid to say something good about a ground-pounder but sometimes you just have to set the record straight and allow the C2H5OH to flow!  Looking for low earth orbit tonight :)>-

Everyone love a seamen dressed in all white. Even us grunts.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    But at least we think we are selective...and then along comes the next AM reality!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I wish I was local, that sounds like an awesome event, exactly what I need lol
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Gee, do I fly to NOLA for this or drive with @Mickey‌ to Banff??
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Brother Tex I feel that if you are really in a slump that you are still leagues better than I am. I will be watching and taking notes my friend. Can't wait.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Date is set.

Weekend of Sept 20th.

We moved it up.

Trying to get a venue.  Details to follow.
    Options
    Bump......

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I've been watching this thread and I've gotta say. I'm jelly and wish I could attend :((
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - I wish you could too.  I'm sure you can attend vicariously though the posts that follow and the NOPD police reports that ensue.  My neighbors and friends should get a good boost in business too.  http://www.digiulioutley.com/index.htm
    Options
    Well shoot. I can't make that weekend. Got a convention I'm sponsoring. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    But, I won't be there except in spirit. Oh the agony. >:) For real it sounds like an excellent event!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy - sorry that weekend doesn't work for you.  We'll manage something in the future, as New Orleans becomes the new brisket capitol, I'm sure international cooks and the world's brisket connoisseurs will flock here for more egg-related events.
    Options
    If nothing else, feed them hurricanes and hand grenades and take them to Ricks. After that, they will absolutely believe that the bisket and the lucky dog are the best foods on earth
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No Ricks.  We might put a pole up in the party area, and if we can peel henapple off it for a few moments, invite a few SWMBOs to take it for a spin.  We'll stock some bacon to lure him away.
    Options
    For anyone interested. If space permits I'm going to demonstrate how I cook a packer on my small offset tuned pitt as well as show how i cook a flat without using a pan on the egg. Hope to see everyone there!

Status- Standing by.

• IndyDrew
    IndyDrew Posts: 14
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't cook an SRF wagyu. That stuff is nasty!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Centex and TFJ are rolling in with 2 other couples. 6 total so far. This could get weird.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited August 2014
    Options
    NM. double post.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And I consider Eggcelsior to be my personal manservant and I believe he and his lovely bride (and her sidearm) will be staying in the same hotel. That makes 8.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    My friends from NC own a place in the Quarter they claim was Marie LeVeaux's house. I might ask them if I can stay there. I assume that will be close to this gathering.
    Duncan, SC