Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party this weekend

We decided to throw an end of summer BBQ this weekend.  Now I need to decide on what to make.  Planning 20-30 adults and a bunch of kids.

What can I make on only a LBGE to feed the crowd?  Probably make smoked mac n cheese thursday night and fridge it and possible and overnight pork but or two Friday evening.  Any other ideas since I dont have allot of grill real estate.  Burgers are out - no room. 

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Sounds like you've got a good menu already. Maybe an appetizer or two, or wings?
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I should have noted I really do not want to do an over nighter with the pork if I can - I want to get some sleep.

Guests are arriving at 1 so I cant cook it all day.  How can I squeeze all this in?

Garnerville, NY
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    How about pulled beef sandwiches? Cook 5-6 chuck roasts and put in foil pan with some liquid when they hit 160. Then cook until falling apart. Serve with bbq sauce. Should only take 4-5 hours.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Ribs would probably get pretty expensive but they have a shorter cook time. I don't know man it's hard to beat pulled pork for feeding a crowd that size. You could always do a ton of chicken breasts in batches and then grill a lot of veggies and set up a fajita bar. I did that once for 20. Do you have a multi tier setup or anything that might allow for more cook space?
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • robnybbq
    edited August 2014
    I got a adjustable rig so I can do 2 levels. Is there any meat that can be pre cooked and served later on? And still taste good and not shoe leather?

Garnerville, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    PP
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • robnybbq
    Pp = overnighter. It's a great mass feeding meal

Garnerville, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2014
    Robin, you could grab a couple of 7lb butts and have PP in about 6hrs. No need for an overnighter. Just go turbo no foil.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • robnybbq
    7 lb butts in 6 hours means I need to get up at 3:00 AM to get them on and hope they are done.  Then reload the Egg for the rest of the cooks as well. - apps, etc. 

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Is there any other food ideas that dont take long to cook that can be cooked on the spot?  I only have a Large so hamburgers are out.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    setup a fajita bar or taco bar, meat is a quick cook either way. kabobs are relatively quick, beef, chicken, shrimp, veggie, pineapple kabobs. make some hotdog chili and make dogs, set up all the fixins. peel and eat shrimp with luger sauce for dipping. cook corn on the cob an hour ahead in the husks and put them in the cooler ahead of party time. im sure folks will be bringing food as well so think smaller portions
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    You sound like you don't want to prepare a large feast. PP is your best option. 

If not larger cuts of meat, I would cook wings with the AR and make burgers when the wings are done. Burgers dont take long. You can to 2-3 batches. 

Shouldn't take longer than 2-2.5 hrs. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Get it catered.
  • Agreed....PP low and slow, dial up the mav and get some sleep.  Get up early and prep a bunch of appetizers, maybe spatchcock a chicky or two, mix a toddy and ponder how it all came to be.  Just be careful of the bloody marys says I who got in a fight with the ground on a similar cook....
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • robnybbq
    hey that's what I did last summer.

I want to prepare all I can but still want to feed people at the same time. 

Last year (more people) I did 4 x 8 lb bonless pork butts overnight for 18 hours (came out awesome), then during the party I cooked some pig shots, abt's, green lightning shrimp.  FTC'd the pork for 5 hours before serving.  The beans were made the day before and reheated in the oven.  Salads and chips/dips as well. 

This summer I no longer want the overnighter as I never sleep when doing them (Egg on a wooden deck - fire fear).  I would not mind a turbo cook but can I get the same great flavor on PP compared to a 18 hour long smoke?  And can it really be done i n6 hours?  20-30 adults - can I cook enough chicken or any other meat on the Large at once?  decent sized breasts usually take 30-40 min to cook at 350.  If I do multiple rounds some will eat them and hour later some will eat, 

Through about some pork tenderloins but I would be in the same position - not enough real estate.

Garnerville, NY
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Tri-tip! You can get 2 on the large and, if you have a stack rig, a 3rd on top. 4 to 4.5 hours tops
  • fishlessman
    edited August 2014
    you could do the big pork loins, i would heavily salt them or season them, sear them, them slow cook them at 300 til done wrapping in foil if they get too dark. slice them thin for sandwich rolls
    fukahwee maine

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Pizza Party!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I was just going to say pizza party. Having one this weekend myself. they only take 10-12 minutes for a 12" pizza and you can get 3-4 started while the rest keep coming off. Have your appies ready prior tot he first one and those waiting for pizza can nibble on apps.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I wasn't invited so my opinion won't matter :((
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I fed 40+ two weekends ago for a surprise party for my wife. I couldn't start the cook until she left the house at 9 am. I did two 10 lb butts turbo in about 7.5 hrs on my large. They were awesome. Not an ounce left. Two 7 pounders are totally doable in 6 hrs.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Here's my menu for my Friday night party.

Feel free to borrow any ideas.

Everyone is invited, just PM me if you are going to show up.

Appetizers
    Brisket Egg Rolls
    Pulled Pork Egg Rolls
    Shrimp Stuffed Jalapenos
    Focaccia

Salads
    Beet Orange Salad
    Raw Veggies or Green Salad

Main Course
    Beef Short Plate Ribs
    Pulled Beef

Sides
    Stuffed Sourdough Bread
    Corn Dish

Dessert
    S’more Pies
    S’more Cones
    Peach Dessert
    Cucumber Lime Pops with Gin
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    May go turbo at 4:00 AM.

But other options.  maybe a port loin (or tenderloin if it matters) for sliders?  Some flank/skirt steaks for the same?

Mac and cheese and beans are being cooked tonight.

Any other great apps?  Besides ABT's/Pigshots - Too much work in a short time.

I do need time to mingle and indulge in the practice of drinkery.

Garnerville, NY
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Pizza party would work great
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Rob, skirt steak sliders are REALLY good. Especially braised. Beer braised or in stock with Worcestershire sauce.
  • fishlessman
    beef tenderloin sliced 3/4 thick then seared makes a great steak burger type sandwich. you get burgers and sliders from one. did some last year with a salad dressing marinade with worcestershire and bourbon added, tender as can be
    fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    Have you seen the prices of beef tenderloin lately.  Prices are up there. 

A few months ago we got a Angus beef tenderloin (~5 lbs) for ~$40.  Now when on sale the cheaper beef tenderloin is $8.99/lb and not as good as the better cut fot $12.99/lb.  I like my friends but not that much.

Will make final decisions tomorrow.  Now on to appetizer planning.

Garnerville, NY
  • I love some grilled stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. I use this recipe for neighborhood cookouts regularly. Always a hit. http://grillingaddiction.com/grilled-stuffed-mushrooms/
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • robnybbq
    Head count came down so here is my plan as of the moment.

Apps:
    Bacon wrapped chicken bites w/ honey glaze sauce
    BBQ meatballs
    Various dips/salsa/Guacamole (Fresh made)

Dinner:
    Pork Tenderloins (different rubs/marinades on each one)
    skirt steaks
    Smoked Mac N Cheese
    Smoked Baked beans
    Corn on the cob chopped in quarters with some sort of rub and/or basil butter (just made it)
    cole slaw
    salad (not on the Egg)

Dessert:
    Smores cones (kids love them)
    Possibly grilled Pineapple with DP Pineapple head on them served with Vanilla ice cream.

And what ever anyone else brings.

Will smoke the mac n cheese and beans in the morning while I'm mowing the lawn.
    Cook the apps when guests arrive.  Dinner later on.  Beer and Tito's flowing throughout the day/evening).  Lets see how long the Rockwood lump lasts throughout the day.  Probably will need a reload at some point as I will be cooking most things at 350.

Garnerville, NY