Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another comfort food here...porkburgers

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
My wife and I love these pork burgers as much or maybe even more than hamburgers. They are really pretty simple but oh so delicious! Each is about 1/3 pound of coarse ground pork - not sausage mind you, but just unseasoned ground pork. I wet them with Worcestershire sauce and then dust with DP Raging River rub. Then egged direct at 350 for 4/4/2 with the 2 being when I melt a slice of pepper jack cheese on top. Then pile on sautéed onions and a dollop of BBQ sauce on the bun. So easy, but soooo good! Try them sometime!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Looks great! I'll have to give these a try.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Is this like ground loin?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Those look great!
    GWN
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Yes yes yes....I wanna try this!!! Something so simple but yet so good!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Fantastic @RRP ... do you grind your pork or buy ready made ground pork? If you grind it on your own, what cut of meat do you buy for pork?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • RRP
    Options
    I just buy the pre-ground pork from a local packing house. I'm sure if the truth were known its is made of scraps! Runs $15 for 5 pounds.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options

+1.

I did this for the first time last week with storebought ground pork and it was outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    This is great idea on burgers Ron. Delicious I'm sure.....
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Look and sound great Ron. We just did some pork sliders with swamp venom at a cooking demo a couple weekends ago. Very tasty.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Sounds great. I'll add it to the never ending list!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Simple yet sp elegant. Nice looking burgers - never know it wasn't beef until that first bite. I grind my own pork, aim for an 80/20 mix same as beef. Takes spices in a whole different way. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    Looks and sounds great, another must try. Thanks for sharing!! 
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look great Ron.  I have mixed in ground pork with ground beef before and liked the results, but I have never gone straight pork burger.  Pepper jack and fried onions makes everything better.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Sounds great. On the list.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks and sounds tasty Ron. Excellent job Sir. :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've never even consider pork burgers. That looks awesome. I'll bet the meat/fat ratio of butt would be perfect for burgers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    A bit late here, but made these tonight.  They were a hit!  Next time I will squash the patties to a larger diameter but they tasted great, just pulled back down in diameter and got quite thick, almost like giant meatballs.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    Options
    A bit late here, but made these tonight.  They were a hit!  Next time I will squash the patties to a larger diameter but they tasted great, just pulled back down in diameter and got quite thick, almost like giant meatballs.
    Glad to hear the feedback! Yes they do need to be flat going on and even a large spoon sized dimple compression in the middle before hitting the grill helps.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Man those look beyond good. I could go for 5 or 6 of them about now!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @RRP‌, these sound delicious. I've never heard of pork burgers. Does anybody know if you can get ground pork from a grocery store or do I have to ask my local butcher to grind some up?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    Most grocery stores have ground pork my friend. Shouldn't be a problem at all to find.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    @stemc33‌ Most grocery stores have ground pork my friend. Shouldn't be a problem at all to find.

Probably a stupid question. I guess I just never paid attention. Also, I always thought ground pork meant sausage. Learn something new everyday.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    Not a stupid question at all my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited August 2014
    Options
    BTW, ours were made with sauted Vidalia onions and served on King's Hawaiian hamburger buns. Yummy to say the least.
    @RRP, Thanks for the recipe.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    RRP said:
    My wife and I love these pork burgers as much or maybe even more than hamburgers. They are really pretty simple but oh so delicious! Each is about 1/3 pound of coarse ground pork - not sausage mind you, but just unseasoned ground pork. I wet them with Worcestershire sauce and then dust with DP Raging River rub. Then egged direct at 350 for 4/4/2 with the 2 being when I melt a slice of pepper jack cheese on top. Then pile on sautéed onions and a dollop of BBQ sauce on the bun. So easy, but soooo good! Try them sometime!
    They look wonderful. 4-4-2?  that sounds like 10 hours at 350.  Am new to this, that seems like a long time for something this small.   Please correct me... Thanks.
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options
    victor1 said:

They look wonderful. 4-4-2?  that sounds like 10 hours at 350.  Am new to this, that seems like a long time for something this small.   Please correct me... Thanks.
    in this case 4-4-2 is in minutes not hours. 4 minutes one side, flip 4 minutes and then add cheese for final 2 minutes to melt.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    A lot of stores also sell meatloaf meat which is a combo of ground veal, pork and beef.
  • stemc33
    Options
    @RRP‌, I tried these tonight and must say they were pretty good. I think I grilled these a lot longer than ten minutes though. I was cooking at 400° raised direct. The flare ups put on quite the light show. I flipped every 3 minutes for what seems like forever. They just wouldn't get firm. The good thing about these things is you can cook the crap out of em without drying them out. When I finally got the firmness I wanted the IT was 200°, but still really moist. The crunchier fringes were awesome. Thanks for posting the suggestion.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming