Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thermapen calibration

I just thought I would be funny and answer my sons homework question of what temp does water boil with my themapen.  problem is it read at 209 with rapidly boiling water.  Is it hard to recalibrate? I thought with these you would not ever have to.

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    If it needs calibration, you will have to send it back to them.  Good news is I have always heard they do not charge to do it.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    What altitude are you at?
    GWN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Also depends where you live and the weather. Lower pressure means a lower boiling point. If nasty weather is on the way and the barometer is dropping, water will boil at a lower temp. If you live above 1000ft above sea level, water will boil at a lower temp. 
    The real determining factor is pressure - either due to weather or altitude. Your Thermapen is probably OK. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I am in Atlanta and no storms on horizon. Will try the cold way and see what happens.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    ya your only talking 3 degrees. What your boiling isn't "pure" water either. lots of minerals and other good stuff in there
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    What does it temp ice water?
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Wow, great answer.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Skiddymarker‌ ...got a six today for $4.58. The rest of your comment was so far over my head I felt like little Steven. Ugh.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    edited August 2014
    henapple said:
    @Skiddymarker‌ ...got a six today for $4.58. The rest of your comment was so far over my head I felt like little Steven. Ugh.
    Guess because we have a 10 cent per can deposit fee in BC, the actual cost was only $6.90CDN or around $6.25 in "real money". Nowhere near as good as your $4.58. 
    When I lived in Villa Park Il, used to get a 24 of PBR for <$5.00 .....those were the days. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Well, because I had nothing else to do, except sit on the deck with my third PBR (they were on sale for $7.50CDN a six pack - that's about $6.80 USD - @henapple would be proud of me) the altitude of Atlanta is between 750 and 1100 feet (highest of major US cities east of the Mississippi (learn something every day) the current barometric pressure is 29.85" and yesterday it was 29.75" so that calculates to a boiling point of water of just over 210ºF. The accuracy of a Thermapen is +/- .7ºF, so if the Thermapen read 209ºF it could be well within its design criteria. 

Are you really sayin PBR ...as in Pabst Blue Ribbon?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @double_ds‌, the bad news is your Thermapen is broke. The goods news is I'll take it off your hands for $12.99 + shipping. :D
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    @bcsnave - Yep, PBR - what you said...
  • Ice water was right at 32/33.   glad all is well since I use it almost every night.  By far the  most used tool in my arsenal.