Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Beef Drink Pairings?

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Looking for some drink pairing guidance for beef short plate ribs and pulled beef. Any specifics on below, other suggestions, etc would be great.

Here's what I'm thinking of so far.

Wine
Australian Shiraz
Zinfandel
Cab

Beer
Belgian Dubbel and strong dark Trappist and Abbey ales - Any specific suggestions that can be found in PA would be appreciated.

Mixed Drink
I have no idea so far. I'm thinking some kind of mixed drink I could have prepped and in a pitcher(s) ahead of time would be best.

I have a feeling there may be a wealth of knowledge on this subject here. :)

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Beer in PA - Yeugling for sure

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DMW
    @Brisket_Fanatic Oh, there will be the standard PA beers, of which Yuengling will be in attendance.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited August 2014
    Good choices. I really like a good red zin with BBQ beef. Your beer choices are nice too; you may also want to consider a porter or smoked porter. For the mixed drink, maybe a good bourbon mixed with one ice cube :).

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    +1 on the bourbon with ice.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• DMW
    Just found this, sounds interesting, there is bourbon in it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• fence0407
    I bet that would be a darn good mixed drink and pair just fine with beef.
    Cumming, GA  

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Oktoberfest beers are showing up now....sorry cant help you with that other girly stuff :)
    Jacksonville FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    edited August 2014
    mateus rose, negra modelo, a correctly made long island ice tea
    :D and after dinner a sandeman 20 tawny port. a pumpkin ale might go good with the bbq beef
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fence0407
    Sam Adams Octoberfest comes to mind. Already picked up my 24 pack from Costco the other day. One of my favorite beers.
    Cumming, GA  

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    It's still summer - Grilled Lemonade with bourbon or vodka. Dip lemon halves in raw sugar and grill til caramelized Squeeze juice into a pitcher. Add water. Mix equal parts sugar and water and heat until sugar dissolves (simple sugar). Add some fresh mint and Rosemary sprigs and let simmer in the syrup. Sweeten to taste with the flavored syrup. Add alcohol.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Budweiser for sure, it goes perfectly with everything! :D
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's called octoberfest for a reason. It's not called augustfest. Worse than Walmart have Christmas stuff out now.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Mixed drinks .. I like to brew gingerbeer (or find some good bottles) and serve the option .. Dark and Stormy/Kentucky Mule/Moscow Mule ... black seal rum/bourbon/vodka
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    I will confess to being a wine nut.  I love pairing BBQ with a great Syrah or solid Cabernet. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Can't go wrong with an Old Vine Zin....
    GWN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

In my opinion (may or may not be vaulable to you) the best wine to go with meat cooked outdoors is a Pinotage, or a blend that includes a high percentage of Pinotage.  This is typically a South African grape although J Vineyards in Napa has one.  Last week in Maine I had some Rib Shack Red which is 60% Pinotage and 40% Shiraz.  It is very affordable and excellent, but I haven't yet found it where I live.  So, any way, get a South African wine with a good concentration of Pinotage.  It goes great with BBQ, and when you tell people that you sound smart about wine. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited August 2014
    henapple said:

It's called octoberfest for a reason. It's not called augustfest. Worse than Walmart have Christmas stuff out now.

Funny thing is Oktoberfest is late September to early October. But I agree even in the Northeast where the nights are starting to get chilly, I'm not ready for pumpkin or Oktoberfest beers.
  • DMW
    @Foghorn Thanks for the wine suggestion, I will look for that for sure. I'm a wine dummy, so sounding knowledgeable sounds like a good idea. ;)

I got a suggestion from my neighbor to try to find an Ommegang variety pack, which sounds perfect.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Chimay blue, stouts, etc
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    For the Shiraz- look for Spanish Belle Grove, 2013. Great with the beef. For beer, I like the German Dunkels. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    "I'm a wine dummy..."

Me too. However, by taking an interest in this one grape I now have a certain "wine knowledge validity" among my friends and colleagues. A wine store owner once told me that he wouldn't buy any more 100% Pinotage because nobody ever wanted a second bottle. They would always come back to the store saying that the wine tasted like bacon. That just got me more interested in it. Now when I go to parties the first thing people ask me is "Did you bring the bacon wine"?
    You probably won't notice this when you first open it - especially if you are grilling or serving it with grilled food. But one night we had half a bottle left over. We recorked it and then pulled the cork back out the next night as we also opened a bottle of chianti to go with pasta. The Pinotage smeled like a Texas smokehouse. It was great.
    So, hopefully you'll enjoy some good bacon wine with your great food.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    bodski said:
    Good choices. I really like a good red zin with BBQ beef. 
    Totally agree.  FWIW we really enjoy a Zin called Brazin.  It is fairly reasonable (I can find it locally for $16 a bottle) and at that price point I think it is really good.   Another good one is Seven Deadly Zins.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.