Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some good some bad....

Jwinn44
Jwinn44 Posts: 49
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
So tonight was a night of experiment. My safe cook was a simple but very tasty cedar planked salmon from costco. It was very good and I would put my egged salmon against any other cooked salmon. My second safe cook was some grilled corn on the cob which was also awesome! Now my experiments.... I tried for the first time to grill eggplant. I started off by peeling strips of the eggplant skin as I read the skin can make it too tough to eat, but that you wanted some skin so that it kept its shape. I then sliced the eggplant into slices similar to what you would do if making scalloped potatoes. I then soaked them in a balsamic vinegar for a few hours, then covered them in a mixture of paprika, cinnamon, and honey. The results.... Well I was not happy. The seasoning tasted great but the eggplant itself was very bitter. Is eggplant always bitter? Experient 2 = success. For my first time I decided do to try some grilled peaches for dessert. I simply cut the peaches in half and removed the put. Then I grilled the peaches flat side down till I was happy with grill marks, them I flipped them and covered them in my sauce I made (sugar, cinnamon, and butter). I then removed them from the grill and served wight ice cream. These were very tasty but I think it would be difficult to screw up my fresh okanagon peaches., Not he most exciting post but here are a few pics. To note I also had some cooked quinoa with some mixed peppers. This was an attempt to be a healthy meal....imageimageimage
Chilliwack, BC, Canada

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks great, sorry, no suggestions on the eggplant.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I also have no suggestions on the eggplant, but I would like to say that part of becoming a great cook on the egg or the big clock in the house is experimentation. 

I applaud you for the effort. You WILL hit a home run with one of your experiments soon I am sure. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Yep if you don't screw up something now and then you're not growing. I haven't tried grilling eggplant. We did some eggplant parm on Sunday but we pan fried. The vinegar soak might be responsible.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2014
    Meal looks great!! For the eggplant I usually sweet it with a bit of salt for 30-45mins. Then EVOO, S&P & cook raised around 500. When it just starts to get tender I will hit it with basalmic glaze. Very good this way. You can also do like above but with grilled tomato slices,feta and chopped basil. Once the veggies get close stack all the tomato,basil & feta on the eggplant and drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
    I did these awhile back. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155256/meatless-monday-on-a-thursday#latest

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Slice and either soak in salt water or salt them down and let them weep, then press them.and let them drain. Look up eggplant parm recipes
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    My sous chef says she cut the eggplant into thick slices (1/2 to 3/4 inch. Mix a seasoned oil (olive or canola mixed with Italian seasoning and hot pepper flakes). When the grill is ready, brush on the seasoning oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. I grill them direct, 350-400 like a steak. Quarter turn after 2-3 min. Flip it after 2 mins. Depending on the thickness, another quarter turn on the flip side if I can still grip it with thongs without squishing it. I'll post some pix when I find them tomorrow. (Or it didn't happen)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Jwinn44
    Jwinn44 Posts: 49
    Thanks for the advice. I will give it another shot soon. I have had great luck with almost everything since purchasing the egg. The only other thing I have failed at is pizza. Since that time I have made some of the best pizza ever though.
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada