Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice: badinfluence excluded

Options

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @Istroke That is a huge decision,If it were me I would get the medium now, it sounds like a very good deal.Learn on it, you might find out that you can cook more food on it than you think. Then in the spring get the XL. The spring is a great time to get the Egg of your dreams, what a way to start the summer.Good luck brother!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Family of 5.... no-brainer wait and get the XLBGE.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    We are a varied bunch. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    Get the medium learn its limitations for your family, if you can find any, then if need be get the xl down the road after you've flipped or kept the medium. 

I have a medium and have cooked for 3 rather easily with no crazy mods, I could easily do 5 if I was forced to.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Figure out a way to get both. If you have to wait a little longer than you originally planned to get the XL so be it. Once you have both you won't regret getting the medium at this good of price.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    So which way are you leaning thus far?
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I say wait, throw another hundo with the price of that medium and you're close to a mini-max.  I heard they will be in stores friday.    Otherwise, I say wait for the XL

Why would you want a chopped down Small BGE over a Medium to feed a family of 5?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    I couldn't figure out why you had such a hard time making a decision until I saw your avatar.  You're a buckeye.  That explains ALOT!!!!!   Do something, even if it's wrong.  GO BLUE!!!

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    6 weeks isn't that long I would hold out for an XL.
  • Rabidgoose
    Rabidgoose Posts: 40
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I say wait, throw another hundo with the price of that medium and you're close to a mini-max.  I heard they will be in stores friday.    Otherwise, I say wait for the XL

Why would you want a chopped down Small BGE over a Medium to feed a family of 5?
    @Photo_Egg  Sorry, kinda tongue-in-cheek.....why get the medium when it is the XL he has wanted from the start.
    Also, nobody has mentioned the MM in about 36 hours so it seemed like it was time. 
    :)
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Sometimes fate has to decide things. I called him back and he said it was sold, a guy was coming to pick it up. When I got back from Scouts, i found a text--he never showed. If he will meet me tomorrow i am going to buy it. There I said it. Whew, I feel better already. I appreciate all the responses and it was fun to watch the two camps form up, now and wait. I am doing it now as it will be no loss if i decide to sell it after i get the XL. As far as doing things wrong, never, choose whats right the first time GO BUCKS!! O H - -. I will post pics after pick up. First cooks already chosen, pizza and moink balls
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    The original poster wants to cook now! He doesn't want to wait six weeks. I don't blame him. When I want something I want it now. 

My advice to him was to get the Medium and start egging now. He said that if he bought the medium he would have to wait 3 to 6 months to get the XL. That is true IF he keeps the medium. 

If I bought the medium and just couldn't wait past the 6 weeks for the XL at the 5 week mark I would list the medium on Craigslist and at the very least get my money back. 

In the meantime I would be cooking my ass off and making my family happy. 

Win Win!!!! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. You are getting a deal on that Medium. If you find that it can do the job in the interim and you can add the XL in 3 months, that would be the best of both worlds.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jstroke
    Options
    DMW, that is the overall plan. Two eggs. I was just hoping to do it in chronological order. This way the "second egg" will be the first one.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    The second chance you're getting on the medium is karma dude. Don't ever go against karma! Or the Badgers,, Go Bucky!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Thats what i said
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    In order would be xxl first. But I think you will be very happy with the med. Egg.

of all my eggs I use the med the most.

oh yeah. One can never have too many eggs :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Ask him how he takes out a hot plate setter and then try to get him to throw in his welder's gloves. :)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Calibrate your thermometer. I would start with pizzas in the 500 range and let the stone preheat 30 minutes. Also may want to let it sit at 500 for longer for a clean burn depending on how used it is. If you plan on a clean burn open the lid several times so you don't melt the gasket and glue your egg shut. Congrats on a new egg.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Thanks, good advice on burping for clean burn, i will see how bad it is. Im likely to clean burn regardless. Makes it more mine. Plus i dont like cooking on someone elses old crud and i want to see how it behaves.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Jstroke What have been cooking on thus far? From your comments so far, I take it you aren't a complete newbie when it comes to grilling/smoking/cooking?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jstroke
    Options
    DMW, no expert but not a newb. 20 + years in food biz, 12 running white tablecloth kitchens. Menu consultant and salesman for pretty good sized food distributor now. I have had gassers and kettles. I built three UDS. turned one into a vertical grill, smoker. Kid you not it acts like an egg except in cold weather it doesnt hold heat. I can grill at 700 or run 200 low and slow. Its ugly so wife agreed to the egg idea and i want something that will hold heat. I have never liked a gas grill, too limited. The thermals are all wrong.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I vote with the majority on this one. If your planning on getting two, use common cent$ and snag the deal before it's gone. You'll regret it when your shelling out the dough later. You really don't wanna say "Woulda, Coulda, shoulda, but I was waiting on the XL." Hindsight really isn't 20/20, it's a $#!++¥ feeling.

The medium will motivate you to come up with a plan/solution to get the XL probably quicker than you originally scheduled.

My only concern would be the warranty.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Jstroke‌ ...what city you'd get it in?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    If for some reason, you cannot buy both, wait for the XL.  If you can buy both, grab the medium and get the XL on order
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    If buying both new I would have suggested the XL first but at this price, the M is a bargain.  I don't think you will have any trouble talking the Mrs. into the XL after she experiences the food from the M.  If I recall from your previous post the kids are younger, you will need the XL when they hit the teen years.  Our 22 year old niece is staying with us for a time and I have been cooking for three adults recently on the M. It gets a little close at times if I am cooking protein and veggies.

I feel you have made the right choice all things considered.  I would not accessorize the M too much so you can get to the XL sooner.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I bought my XL first and if i had to have only one it would be a XL.  Two years in I bought a medium and it is a great compliment and it gets a lot of use.   I got my Medium new in the box for $400  from someone who won it.  It was a steal.  $350 is even better since it has some other stuff. This all boils down to funds.  If you are tight on  cash like I was most of my life, then wait and get the XL at a FEST somewhere.  The XL is perfect for a family of 5 and friends!  Good luck.  Either way you will be happy.      
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Nice!  I talked to that seller too and $350 for medium seemed like great deal.  My weekend got crazy, but if I had time, I was going to scoop it myself!   GO BUCKS!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @Jstroke‌ did you go pick up the medium?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .