Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how does your garden grow

mine looks pitiful
:)) its a race between red tomatoes and dead plants. 2 cukes, 1 zuke, have picked maybe 3 doz tomatoes, there maybe 4 dozen unless the plants just give up. had to get past discussion number 666 and start a new topic

:D
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    At least you have tomatoes.  I actually kept a "patio" tomato alive all summer (in a pot) and it's been blooming all along but never got any fruit.
    All the herbs are still growing great, also unusual for me (I have a black thumb).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• well there is your problem right there...there is a duck swimming in your garden!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited August 2014
    Agreed.  We've probably had a good two dozen or so tomatoes from our smallish garden.  Lots of jalapeno and bell peppers as well.  However, over the last couple of weeks everything has taken a turn for the worse.  Plants look horrible, but are still yielding tomatoes for now.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Tomatoes are like mine and appear to have blite (Not sure if I spelled that correct). My plants are horrible this year, thank goodness I have a coupld co workers that plant 20 plants and get tired of making stuff and bring in boxes to share.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• YEMTrey
    If we grew tomatoes for nothing other than to make homemade salsa we'd still do it.  Made the first batch of it this weekend and it's really good.  Wife jarred several of them so we'll have homemade salsa all winter.

Steve 

• grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I also bought a patio tomato. We got one tomato so far and have three that are almost ripe. The three are about the size of large cherry tomatoes. Not a lot to show for one plant. Good thing there are plenty of vegetable stands around. It has just been too hot here.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    When tomatoes start to produce fruit, the plants get ugly. Tomatoes are heavy feeders. I notice yours are in containers. You could try side dressing with more fertilizer or use a liquid fertilizer and top water the plants.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    After last years debacle with something eating all our tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers and jalapenos (what the hell eats bell peppers and jalapenos?) I decided not to plant any vegetables this year. But our basil, Thai basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme are all doing great and have been seasoning up a ton of dishes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Dredger said:
    When tomatoes start to produce fruit, the plants get ugly. Tomatoes are heavy feeders. I notice yours are in containers. You could try side dressing with more fertilizer or use a liquid fertilizer and top water the plants.
    i think there is too much peat in the bed, its open bottom, not really a container but a raised bed, was thinking of adding fish this fall and tuning in some sand in the spring. the area is under water in the spring and thats why i went with raising the beds. googling the yellow leaves and im seeing not enough oxygen to the roots causes that, not sure if its a problem with the peat. it does get plenty of water, friday night and monday morning buckets from the lake and we have been getting plenty of rain mid week, 11 to 12 hours sun a day. been usingg the tomato pellet fertilizer
    fukahwee maine

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Griffin said:

After last years debacle with something eating all our tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers and jalapenos (what the hell eats bell peppers and jalapenos?) I decided not to plant any vegetables this year. But our basil, Thai basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme are all doing great and have been seasoning up a ton of dishes.

@Griffin‌ I know what eaten them...neighbors
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I can't grow tomatoes for anything (hard in the heat here and I also have to use pots).  But I can grow the crap out of some peppers - thai, cayenne, tabasco, jalepeno, pepperocini and serrano.  I've already made hot sauce, used them in salads and pizzas and they keep coming.  More than I can use.

The herbs have also been doing well, but I fear we are nearing the end.  August has been brutally hot.  The basil is getting woody and the thyme and oregano are flowering.

I do have some Portugese oregano that has gone absolutely nuts.  It's everywhere.
    NOLA
  • YEMTrey
    edited August 2014
    Griffin said:
    Have you thought about growing some hops for your homebrews.  With the right amount of sunlight and enough room you would be fine.
    Steve 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Anybody ever build a raised bed?  I just got some trees cleared out in my back and now I have an excellent spot in the sun.  I would like to construct something this fall for next spring.  Tons of stuff on the internet about different options (cedar, cinderblocks, rock) . . but I would feel better talking to someone here first.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    NDG said:
    Anybody ever build a raised bed?  I just got some trees cleared out in my back and now I have an excellent spot in the sun.  I would like to construct something this fall for next spring.  Tons of stuff on the internet about different options (cedar, cinderblocks, rock) . . but I would feel better talking to someone here first.  
    i used inconel, will probably connect the shell rings with thin stainless next spring to lengthen the growing area
    :))  metal roofing material nailed inside a wood frame like cedar would last along time and be inexpensive and it looks nice, i dont see much problem with rock or cinderblocks except maybe expense
    fukahwee maine

• It looks like your tomatoes have the same fungus that mine do. It looks like Leaf Spot but there a bunch of things it could be. Worst part, most of these spores are in the soil so the only way to "kill" it is to not plant in that soil for 2yrs - or plant something other than tomatoes. Just harvest and enjoy as much as you can before the fungus will kill the entire plant. Do NOT compost the remnants, toss or burn.

Hope that helps....

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    YEMTrey said:
    Griffin said:
    Have you thought about growing some hops for your homebrews.  With the right amount of sunlight and enough room you would be fine.
    I've thought about it. Not much, but I have. Maybe next year. Would have to do some research.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I did a mini HugelKultur in my backyard. Just have the seeds germinating now. Kind of enthralled at the prospect of having a ten year+ no till, no fertilize, no water garden. I buried it instead of going mound. Eventually I'll build it up and put cedar planks around it..... The containers are five varieties of blueberries I'm putting in.. image
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I also have a plot in a community garden here in Greensboro. Both gardens are heavy with Brussels and spinach, some romaine, radicchio, radishes, carrots, broccoli, herbs, and other fall stuff. Community garden is awesome image
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited August 2014
    NDG said:
    Here are some of my raised beds, we are in redwood country and this is all redwood con heart.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • fishlessman
    I did a mini HugelKultur in my backyard. Just have the seeds germinating now. Kind of enthralled at the prospect of having a ten year+ no till, no fertilize, no water garden. I buried it instead of going mound. Eventually I'll build it up and put cedar planks around it..... The containers are five varieties of blueberries I'm putting in.. image
    mmmm blueberries, heres my row

fukahwee maine

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    This year, I have none.  Looks like it may have been a wise decision.
    I used to plant two 10' by 10' plots, but then the trees grew and created too much shade and I dropped down to 5 potted plants in my front yard (tomatoes and hot peppers).
    this year it was NADA until a couple of weeks ago, and the wife bought a basil plant for fresh basil and I put it in a pot in the front yard.  We've been harvesting a few leaves every couple of days for salads and stir-fry's as needed.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    We have about 2" of topsoil on top of limestone, so we had to go with raised beds.  I decided to not build but instead put in several 6'x2'x2' galvanized livestock tanks.  They've worked really well for a few years now.  There is some prep involved, plenty of good info on the internet.  Pricier than just building a box with cedar, but I liked the slick vertical sides to keep four-legged thieves out.

Our tomatoes have been much better since we started buying from a local nursery and not HD/Lowes, etc.  They seem to carry varieties that are better suited to local climate.  We planted early enough this spring with a plan to rip them out and replant halfway through the summer, but instead we cleaned them up - really hacked off all of the tired looking plant and they've come back really strong with another full crop and much faster than starting over with new seedlings.  We mostly grow several varieties of cherry and pear tomatoes and a few roma and san marzanos.  Anything bigger and we have pest or disease issues before they're ripe.
  • Cooler than everage summer and everything's going crazy, especially the ghost peppers! I've already harvested about 60 ripe peppers and have another batch to pick. Have them strung and slowly drying but am now over run...
    Jim
    Kensington, MD
    2-XL BGE's, Backwoods Gater
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    These are a couple of my indoor gardens.

I'll snap some pics of my outdoor garden this afternoon and post them.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I did a mini HugelKultur in my backyard. Just have the seeds germinating now. Kind of enthralled at the prospect of having a ten year+ no till, no fertilize, no water garden. I buried it instead of going mound. Eventually I'll build it up and put cedar planks around it..... The containers are five varieties of blueberries I'm putting in.. 
    I had to look this up to see what it is.  Sounds like a great idea, too bad they don't recommend cedar for the food source, I have tons of that.  I like the idea of a berm with the lack of soil I have, I may do try this out in a few areas.  Thanks for posting.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have 5 tomato plants, 3 zucchini plants, and 4 peppers, bell and jalapeno.  First of all the peppers aren't doing anything, and I have never had luck with them here.  On the other hand the tomatoes and zucchini are going gangbusters.  I picked tomatoes this morning and again this evening including the biggest tomato I ever grew - a full pound.  Usually the squash borers cut the zuke plants short, but this year, no problem.  I am getting a couple every day, faster than I can eat them for sure.

The soil in my yard is nothing but sand, but I have been spading in compost and mulch for years, plus in the non garden months I work spent brewing grains into the soil.  As a result, it is pretty rich, with no clay or rocks at all.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY