Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15 minutes? really?

Options
Our salesmen said we can starting cooking within 15 minutes as does the info on the royal oak bag.  It seems I get a fair fire going but to start that soon sometimes all but puts the fire out.  What is a realistic wait period after starting the fire.  While I've had very good success with my cooking so far, temp control has been a challenge.  Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Wait till the smoke smells good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I usually let mine go lid open for 10 min or so then close lid adjust to temp I'm cooking at by then between me getting stuff ready and getting to temp probably 30 min but this might help ya http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You can start cooking immediately if ya want it to taste horrid. +1 when the smoke smells good you're good to go.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    All depends on how you are going to be cooking. Hot and fast like steaks, once you hit temp and smoke smells good you can cook. If it is a low and slow you have to wait for the lump to burn clean and the egg to stabilize. I usually let egg stabilize for 1hr if I have a long cook ahead of me. The amount of burn clean time depends on the lump. Some take longer than other. Royal Smoke for me is in the longer category

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    I normally wait about 30 minutes before I put food on my egg. For me, this is enough time to get the temp stable and the egg heat-soaked.

There may be more efficient ways. however, this is the way that I do it.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    I can get things up and running in 15 minutes using the Eggcellerator. I don't usually do that, though. Gives me enough time to get at least one beer down.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Also different starting methods and cleanliness of the egg are factors. If you use an electric element , it will light more quickly than say a lighter cube. There are many factors that dictate the time it takes to be ready to cook. Sometimes I am ready in 15-25 min. Other times it takes me 30-45 to get things where I want them. I say 30 min is about the average. That said, I let my gasser heat up for a decent amount of time, then I clean the grid and let it come back up to temp again. That takes me @ 20-30 as well.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I can be up and cooking burgers in 15 minutes. I usually can't even have patties made and ready by then but I can definitely have fire ready. And I use electric starter (8 minutes) and ozark oak, another 5or 10 minutes to hit 500 and be ready.

Little Rock, AR

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Probably more like 30 minutes. I agree with "wait till the smoke smells good".
    But with that said, I have had very clean smoke in 15 minutes. Especially with the higher end lumps RW and OO. 
    So I'd say yes, in some cases 15 min. is doable.
    What are you using to light your egg? I suggest a Mapp torch. Hold the flame in three different spots for 15-20 sec each. If your grate holes are clear, no way you should lose the fire.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Or taking outta the bag??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    Options
    +1 on the OO. I'm just starting my 3rd bag and it's amazing how clean it burns. Basically it pretty much comes down to lighting method on how quick it'll come up to temp. I imagine the guys/gals that use weed burners can probably be up and running within ten minutes if they're cooking burgers and don't really need a stabilized egg.

I use a chimney to light and since switching over to OO, I've noticed initial take off requires me to reload once with newspaper. Once it takes off, it comes up to temp way faster than Royal Oak or BGE lump.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    henapple said:

I can cook on Ozark Oak without lighting it. No voc's.

Ultimate caveman.

Little Rock, AR

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I only use Ozark Oak and 15 mins is 5 mins extra most of the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookingdude555
    Options
    This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SolZzjqLAlY

I do this pretty much every time I cook.  My grill is ready in whatever charcoal grill I am using faster than my propane grill.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    With a weed burner and good charcoal I am cooking in 10-15 minutes from the time I start to light it.  
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    With a weed burner and good charcoal I am cooking in 10-15 minutes from the time I start to light it.  
    This. Rockwood burns clean the fastest, in my experience.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Using starter cubes, I usually put food on 45 minutes after lighting. Smoke smells good and temperature is fairly stable.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options

With my chimney  starter and on " Pre Burned RO" 15 minutes is easy..........does not count chimney starter time , 15 minutes is no problem----Yes RO on the first burn does take a little time to burn off VOC's but other than that, it works well for me and is plentiful in my area with most all bags having nice lump

I am @ some point going to order online some OO or Rockword

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I start the fire w 3 paper towel half sheets drizzled with cooking oil. Go inside and prep for ten minutes. Put the grill on, close the lid but leave wheel off, and bottom vent totally open. 5-10 minutes later start dialing in the temp. Ready to cook in 20-30 minutes.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    If I need to cook fast, I use my stash of bacon soaked paper towel and stand back.  Ready to cook in 20-30 minutes (depending if direct or indirect).

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.