Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice: badinfluence excluded

Ok, i have said it before, i am eggless. I have a family of five and the Xl makes a lot of sense to me, plus i like plenty of elbow room when i cook. BUT-- i have found a medium with nest platesetter and pizza stone for 350.00. I can buy that today. I will have to wait around at least 6 more weeks for the XL. But it is really what i want. The medium would make a great second egg, but not a great first. What would you do.
Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If it's in clean shape snatch it up...You can always flip it in the future. At that price you will NOT loose money.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    I would either wait for the XL or buy the medium and order the XL
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am guessing that there will be no warranty with this medium, but I am sure you already know that. With that being said I would probably go ahead and get it to get me by until my XL came in. 

I have two larges and the best decision I ever made was getting the second egg. 

I love the title of your post! @badinfluence will get us all into trouble! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Patience !! Wait the 6 more weeks
    Danville, Il
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Well, in 6 weeks you will have two eggs and a year from now, you will not remember which came first, nor will you care. 
    I don't think you will regret the MBGE, it can do a fair amount, and it is nice to be doing a low and slow pork butt on it while the XL is handling the stuff that needs to be spread out like burgers. 

If you know the MBGE is fine, buy it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Buy it! They may even take $300 for it. The M is a great second egg so you'll be all set when you get your XL.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    If getting the medium will not impact the XLBGE buy then go for it.  Otherwise, I would wait for the XL as you will enjoy the real estate especially for a family of five.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    I totally agree with @Skiddymarker. I bought my second egg because when we have a lot of people over I had to cook in stages. I didn't enjoy that at all.

Now I can have both of mine going at the same time or more importantly cook steak on one and a pork butt on the other. 

Hell I would probably buy the medium for $350 if it was in my area!  

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    The medium will set the Xl back until late fall early spring
  • johnkitchens
    So if you buy the medium now instead of 6 weeks for the XL it will be a few or 6 months until you can get the XL?

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Jstroke   . You want the XL ... you know it, I know it, everyone reading this knows it. Wait the 6 weeks. I hate having regrets.

Enjoy ... Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Realistically at least three months
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Jstroke said:
    The medium will set the Xl back until late fall early spring
    Buy the medium and start cooking with it.
    When you are getting close to buying your XL clean up the medium and take some nice photos and list it on Craigs List for $450...Don't wait...Stop asking questions. Buy it...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479

It's hard to pass up an opportunity like that medium.  Either way you are likely to get an XL then an M or the M then the XL.  Take the M while you can get it.  Late fall isn't that far away.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • johnkitchens
    I would go ahead and get it. Let the Medium be your learning curve egg. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    The medium is too small for a family of 5. XLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXL !
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Personally, if buying the Medium means waiting 3-6 months for the XL rather than 6 weeks, I would wait. Or flip the Medium like @Photo_Egg suggested. You will want something bigger than the medium, IMHO.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    One thing no one is mentioning is that you shouldn't let a pizza stone affect your decision in any way. You can pick one up for 15 bucks. I always buy the cheapest one at the store because I always seem to have them explode on me.

That being said, I have a large egg and I want a second one badly. If you wait 6 weeks to get the XL a couple of months later you'll be wanting a small or medium to go with it. Either way you'll end up in the same place, with two eggs. However you probably won't be buying a medium for $350 a couple of months from now. A new XL will cost the same now or later.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I have two Eggs, and I live alone.
    If you can afford two eggs, get the Medium now.
    If you can't afford two eggs, get the Medium now, and then sell it when you can get the XL.  As a couple have mentioned, you won't lose money.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I have a small with a family of 4 and it's ok, not sure you could get another serving out of the medium. At that price would probably buy it anyway but if you can only have 1 then WAIT for the XL.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @badinfluence already bought the medium that was for sale.  >:)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    @SmokeyPitt‌ no I haven't but sure would at that price.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

I would go ahead and get the medium now- here's why:

1) my first BGE was an XL, and I wish I would have learned on a L or Medium- I would have used less charcoal and the Large and Medium is easier to use for making things like steaks unless you have a means of reducing the lump in the XL

2) even though the medium won't have the warranty, you have a liquid item that you will be able to get rid of any time you want. i'd bet that once you get it, learn on it and then get your XL, you'll want to keep  both

3) family of 5 is a lot to cook for  but you can do a pork shoulder or brisket on it which will feed everyone, and you can grill whole chickens or enough chix breast, steaks or burgers for your family

4) FOOTBALL kicks off this weekend and a football weekend without any sized  BGE is well, like a foot without a big toe- Sgt. Hulka

5) Lastly, a used BGE usually comes with a bunch of accessories and you'll get used to using them and have good practice reps on the medium

you will be extremely happy with your decision to get the Medium today.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I would wait for the XL, its what you need.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Having two is more than twice the fun.   Go for the medium, cook the hell out of it and enjoy what''s left of the summer.   

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I'd buy it. I cook for 8 to 9 people in my family regularly on a large. I'm sure you could cook for 5 on a medium. I have a large and a small and use them both a lot. Get the medium now and a large or the XL in the spring.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Agree the Medium will be too small for you. Go for the XL. And like your avatar!!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    I would get the medium ASAP. A medium plate setter is gonna be a lot lighter than an XL plate setter. That first time you forgot to "burp" the egg will only burn the hair off your arm, not your eye brows. Like the other posts says, you can always get the XL later.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• I say wait, throw another hundo with the price of that medium and you're close to a mini-max.  I heard they will be in stores friday.    Otherwise, I say wait for the XL
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI